How To: Install Kufatec Heated Seat Loom - D.I.Y Guides and How to Instructions - uk-mkivs

Photo

How To: Install Kufatec Heated Seat Loom

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3331 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

When Wellsy fitted his own he couldn't seem to find a defined DIY guide on how to fit it and encountered problems along the way, so after many days of frustration he eventually figured it out trawling through the many 'how do I fit my heated seat loom?' threads.

Removing the front seats:

• disconnect the battery for 30mins so the airbags don't go off

• take off the trims that cover the runners 2 x screws

• undo the 2 x bolts at the base of the seat, once undone the seats will run out of their runners

• disconnect the airbag cables

Removing the centre vents (standard Golf):

• prise out the actual vents and not the frame with a metal ruler

• undo the 2 x screws (top corners)

Removing the centre vents (Bora or R32):

Posted Image

Removing lower dash (under steering column):

Posted Image

Installing the heated switches:

• feed the 2 x larger plugs (rectangular & black) on the Kufatec loom from the steering column area to up and behind the centre vent area

Posted Image

• remove the 2 x blank switches within the centre vent frame

Posted Image

• install the 2 x heated seat switches in their place

Posted Image

• plug the 2 x larger plugs on the Kufatec loom to the switches - DO NOT REINSTALL CENTRE VENTS YET....50/50 chance of having the plugs the correct way round as they are not labelled L and R

Posted Image

Wiring up the Kufatec loom:

• wire 'label masse-' (earth) connect under steering column (round end connector attached)

• wire 'label zondungsplus S5' (switch live) connect to 75x on relay board but you will need to add a round end connector to the wire

• wire 'label schraubklemme KL30' (permanent live) connect to 30 on relay board (round end connector attached) - this is the loose wire

Posted Image

• wire 'label sicherung 44 dauerplus' (fuse 44) connect to rear of the empty fuse slot 44 - you will need to slide the plastic purple locking strip as highlighted in the second picture below

• wire 'label schraubklemme KL30' (permanent live) now connect the other end to fuse slot 44 - this is referring to the loose wire again

• install 20amp fuse to fuse slot 44

Posted Image

Posted Image

• wire 'label beleuchtung PIN17 light shalter' (light circuit) connect to the grey/black wire behind the light switch - to remove the light switch turn to side lights whilst pushing in and the unit will come away

Connecting the seats to the Kufatec loom:

• feed the remainder of the loom under the centre console/tunnel towards the seats

• slacken off the 4 x screws holding the centre console/tunnel in place (2 x near pedals & 2 x gear lever - either side)

• feed the 2 x smaller black/purple plugs under the floor carpet under the centre console/tunnel out to each seat

• plug into seats and refit seats

Testing:

• reconnect battery

• switch the engine on

• turn 1 x heated seat switch on and see which seat heats up - if you're lucky, the correct seat will heat up....if not, you need to swap switches around (HENCE I TOLD YOU NOT TO REINSTALL THE CENTRE VENTS)

Finally.....put everything back together!

Hayley

#2 suj

suj

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Great guide with some nice pics. The only guide I could ever find was the black and whtie VW style one which was hard to read at best. Good quality + detailed pics of the harness before it was installed would be nice.

Golf Mk4 1.8T 25th Anni. All standard.  :) Fully registered VCDS v. 15.7 (as of 13/10/15) - alarm chirp, auto lock and unlock etc, fault codes scan/clear, basic settings, output tests etc in the Manchester area - PM me  :D

248751.png

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3331 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Good quality + detailed pics of the harness before it was installed would be nice.

What harness?

#4 hotboy836

hotboy836

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9152 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

nice one

#5 old_n07

old_n07

Diesel isn't a dirty word

• Technical Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11030 posts
  • North Staffs

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

Good quality + detailed pics of the harness before it was installed would be nice.

What harness?

I think he means the Kufatec wiring harnes maybe  [8-)]

Great guide though [y], I'll add it to the index [8-|]

Neil

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3331 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:18 AM

Only pic I've got of the loom before it was fitted...

Posted Image

#7 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Just thought I would add that the loom is designed to run under the drivers side sill plastic to the seats, not via the centre console. The loom is exactly the right length for this. So it should leave the dashboard via the bonnet release pull area.

So first going to the drivers seat, then "up and over" the underside of the centre console to the passenger seat.

[Y]

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#8 ndb18t

ndb18t

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1735 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

this is an excellent write up! why pay when you can DIY!

Padawan

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

Just thought I would add that the loom is designed to run under the drivers side sill plastic to the seats, not via the centre console. The loom is exactly the right length for this. So it should leave the dashboard via the bonnet release pull area.

So first going to the drivers seat, then "up and over" the underside of the centre console to the passenger seat.

Yes

We figured that due to the odd length wires but it is much easier to send it down the centre console.  A lot less trim to remove that way.  Probably saves you an hour or two too.

#10 IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7930 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

Great guide [:)] My bum will now be toasty over this coming winter

Dan

#11 maximus

maximus

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Chappers you legend.....

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Just used your guide, thanks helped me a lot. However am i right in assuming that its the grey/blue wire behind the light switch that feeds the dash illumination not the black and white?

Either or ive wired that up to a 12v feed i know works and my switches still dont light up??? They dont heat the seats either.

Id assume the earth is fine as its connected to the chassis so i dont understand how even with a 12v feed they dont light up never mind heat the seats.

Any suggestions?

#13 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

Are you sure you got everything right? It's just that when I did mine I thought the grey colouring of the cables was less than useful.

I tagged mine with the english equivalent of the german text down the length of the cables...

Did you get the extra fuse socket in ok? Have you fitted the fuse?

[:)]

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#14 Dave J

Dave J

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Slightly off the recent questions (but I too thought it was the grey/blue wire which feeds the dash illumination...) - I used the VW OEM retrofit heating loom - found it all good (especially with the coloured wires, compared to the Kufutec loom).

Does anyone know the gauge of the VW OEM wire - I need to extend the brown earth wire that goes to the fusebox as I found it a bit too short to route it correctly with the other dash wiring?

Thanks...

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

Are you sure you got everything right? It's just that when I did mine I thought the grey colouring of the cables was less than useful.

I tagged mine with the english equivalent of the german text down the length of the cables...

Did you get the extra fuse socket in ok? Have you fitted the fuse?

Smile

Ive doubled checked all the connections and they are as the guide says. The fuse wires are in far enough i checked that. I'll take my multimeter to it tomorrow and see whats not getting any voltage.

At the moment though im at a loss, especially as im getting no dash illumination, id assume thats a completely seperate circuit.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:03 AM

A word of advice to anyone fitting this loom, checked its been made properly by Kufatec, Ive figured out why mine wasnt working. All the wiring to the back of the switches is the mirror image of what it should be!

Check the number order on the back of the harness using this wiring diagram.

Posted Image

I reversed the ground and dash light illumination and it lit up, using a multimeter confirmed my car is going to be in bits for another week as the other wires are wrong!

#17 mr-ras

mr-ras

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:35 AM

Does anyone know the part number for the kufatec wiring loom?

thanks

#18 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p132_Seat-Heating---Harness---VW-Golf-4.html

brakessig.jpg

#19 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Excellent write up.  Do the airbag seats already come with the heating element in them?

#20 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Sometimes is the answer. Early cars like my 1998 the Recaro's don't have the heater elements.

A few of the later cloth Recaro equipped cars had them fitted regardless of the options list.

I think around 2001 cloth Recaro's became an option and VW sports seats were fitted as VW cut costs.

The only way to know for sure it to look for the green connector underneath the seat.

IIRC all mk4 Recaro leather seats are fitted with them.

#21 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Cheers NooNoo. So it is a green connector I am looking for? Will this just be loose or is it part of the airbag connector do you know?

Its a MK VI I have and was too late to spec the winter pack so a retro fit of the heated seats would be great. I wonder if the dealer can retro fit them.

#22 shaqs77

shaqs77

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

nice write up.  how much did the loom cost and can i have heated seats on my cloth recaro's or do i have to replace my seats as a whole

#23 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

nice write up.  how much did the loom cost and can i have heated seats on my cloth recaro's or do i have to replace my seats as a whole

I fitted the heater elements into my cloth Recaro's. It's expensive £128 inc VAT per side (at least 1.5hrs per side to fit including seat removal). Then you need the £60 loom and £20 switches. Another 1.5hrs to route the loom.

#24 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

Cheers NooNoo. So it is a green connector I am looking for? Will this just be loose or is it part of the airbag connector do you know?

Its a MK VI I have and was too late to spec the winter pack so a retro fit of the heated seats would be great. I wonder if the dealer can retro fit them.

Didn't realise you had the mk6. I'm pretty sure the heater elements won't be in your seats, VW are cost saving like mad!

No reason why they couldn't be retro fitted though. Just £££s.

#25 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

Didn't realise you had the mk6. I'm pretty sure the heater elements won't be in your seats, VW are cost saving like mad!

That's very true. Only reason I thought they would be there was Kufatec say in their blurb that most if not all Recaro Airbag seats have the elements in them but when I contacted Kufatec they weren't sure!!

#26 shaqs77

shaqs77

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

i suppose it would cheaper to get seats with the elements already there

#27 S11NY_P

S11NY_P

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:45 AM

Hi Guys,

Iv wired this in over the weekend, bit confused as on this diagram it shows a 20a fuse in slot 44, and in the link below the FUSE list it shows 15a for heated seats?

https://uk-mkivs.net/...852.aspx#513852

Which one should I be putting in as I have put in a 20 at the minute?

Also when taking the seats out I forgot to take the battery of leaving me with the message AIR BAG fault, can anyone please help me remove this, am based in Leeds.

Any help would be appricated.

Suny

#28 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

A 20A fuse will be fine to be honest although it would be better to fit the 15A. The cable is easily rated to 20A in a fault condition so there would be no chance of fire.

You need someone local with Vagcom for the airbag clearing.

It's really is not advisible to work on airbag and safety looms/connectors (yellow) without the battery disconnected.

#29 S11NY_P

S11NY_P

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

A 20A fuse will be fine to be honest although it would be better to fit the 15A. The cable is easily rated to 20A in a fault condition so there would be no chance of fire.

You need someone local with Vagcom for the airbag clearing.

It's really is not advisible to work on airbag and safety looms/connectors (yellow) without the battery disconnected.

Smile

Cheers for your help NooNoo,

Iv stuck with a 20a fuse in hopefully warm up my seats quicker too. lol...

Is the back meant to get warmer quicker then the bum part as mine does this????

Iv found someone with VAGCom.

Suny

#30 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

I've not really noticed which bit gets hotter first but clothing will have a big impact as to which one you feel the first/most.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.