[Mk4 Golf] Heated Seat Recaro Backrest Conn (pics) please help! + Updated with base element pic - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

Heated Seat Recaro Backrest Conn (pics) please help! + Updated with base element pic

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi folks.

Was waiting for the cloth Recaro backrest heater element that was on back order with Leicester TPS for my retro heated seat fitting. Well it arrived today and I'm a bit puzzled... I'm sure someone can help!

Here's the problem.

The backrest heater element has a connector on it (2 way). The base heater element has what appears to be the "feed" for the backrest element. However the both share the same MALE plug [*-)]

Is there an interconnect cable I'm missing??? I could just use a workaround but I'd like it to be "as it should be". Here are some pics of the backrest heater element and it's male connector...

Any ideas folks???

Cheers

[Y]

Edit.

Here is the base element just prior to being stuck down!

I really now suspect there is an interlink cable that routes through one of the circled slots depending upon whether its a drivers or passengers seat...

?

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#2 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'm going to have a private conversation with myself!!! [:S]

Hey NooNoo you can see what you need in this ebay listing, the backrest looms are on top of the installation manual! You idiot!

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

Not another visit to TPS tomorrow [:(]

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#3 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

Just one last point... the Kufatec loom DOES NOT INCLUDE these backrest looms [:(]

How annoying [:@]

#4 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

Double post.

#5 Dave J

Dave J

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi NooNoo,

Just checked my retrofit seat kit I have yet to fit, and the part no for the cables which complete the circuit between the seat base and seat back pads are 3B0 971 396B (same part no for each side).

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a slight aside, I've stripped down my drivers side Recaro seat base before when fitting a new cover, and I seem to remember it being very fiddly. Did you use any tools on yours to unclip the seat covers from the metal rods sunk into the seat foam? 

Cheers, Dave 

#6 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

You're a star Dave. Makes my trip to TPS easier, thanks [:D]

Back to the seat base.

I agree and you remember well, removing the cover is a pain. 20 clips that are recessed and clipped onto the internal (non removable) tension wires.

I was just methodical and used a small screwdriver to open the clips. Really fiddly but you do get better at it.

The base re-assembled perfectly despite me feeling it was a bit of a dogs dinner. I also took the opportunity to clean the seat cover.

I will be much faster when doing the passenger side. Still to do a backrest...

Going to post up some more pics for peoples reference, think I will do a guide when I do the passenger side (there is no Recaro "how to" at present, just VW sports seats and they are different).

[:D]

#7 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Some pics: -

The embedded internal tension wires: -

Those horrible clips: -

All 20 clips clearly visible: -

As I said I will do a complete "how to" in due course, but not buying the passenger side at the moment as my employer has just announced a forced 2 week unpaid holiday (to be taken in the next 20 weeks). So going to be cautious money wise.

Dave, have you got Recaro's and bought the EBay kit from VW Teeside? It's just that the base side bolsters are different to the VW sports seat bolsters and therefore so are the elements...

[:D]

I will point out that refitting the clips is very easy! They are not designed to be stripped down hence it's a slow process.

#8 Dave J

Dave J

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

No worries - hope it is recognised by ETKA!

Thanks for the info - I don't remember using a small screwdriver last time, so I'll give it a go. 

Look forward to the write-up - should be a great hep to others [Y]. This does seems a daunting task to do at first glance. I was really chuffed when I'd replaced the seat cover on mine - there were some fiddly bits, and I also remember the seat back was very tightly bolted onto the seat base, so that took some effort to undo!

#9 Dave J

Dave J

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2263 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Some pics: -

The embedded internal tension wires: -

Those horrible clips: -

All 20 clips clearly visible: -

As I said I will do a complete "how to" in due course, but not buying the passenger side at the moment as my employer has just announced a forced 2 week unpaid holiday (to be taken in the next 20 weeks). So going to be cautious money wise.

Dave, have you got Recaro's and bought the EBay kit from VW Teeside? It's just that the base side bolsters are different to the VW sports seat bolsters and therefore so are the elements...

Big Smile

I will point out that refitting the clips is very easy! They are not designed to be stripped down hence it's a slow process.

Cheers for the pics. Those are the pesky clips[8o|]! The tips of my fingers were raw after prising them off the wires.

Sorry to hear of your unpaid leave - there's definitely more and more of this happening now...

I bought my kit from VW Speed. I do have Recaros, and always figured that I would have to buy the elements separately as there was no kit available. I managed to source a new old stock heater element for the Recaro base and back at very cheap prices, and I bought the remaining ones through Vagparts (when they were still trading).

Maybe upfront it was an expensive way to do it, but as you say, there is no kit available for the Recaros, and I didn't like the way the sports seats heater elements would run across the tension wires. I've seen people fit sports seats pads into the Recaro seats on VWVortex and I just cringed by the way the heater element wiring ran across the tension wires in the seat base foam [:O]

At least this way I knew I'd have proper VW coloured wiring (unlike the Kufutec harness), new switches, new Recaro specific heat pads and decent instructions. I can also sell on the new sports seats pads to offset some of the cost. I've completed the wiring...just need to start the install of the heater elements[:D].

#10 prawnstar

prawnstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2448 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

you gotta love that raw finger pain, good job though so far

#11 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

I'm in the same position as you really. The Kufatec loom is all installed and ready. The driver base element is fitted but none of the others are.

I bought the driver side elements direct from TPS Leicester so are the genuine Recaro heaters but at £122 in vat per side it's not cheap. Like you I did not like the VW sport seat elements that would run over the wires.

I will edit this post in a minute to add the part numbers for reference for anyone else thinking of doing this to their cloth Recaros.

Have fun with those clips Dave [Y]

Edit: For future reference the part numbers for the heater elements on CLOTH Recaros are: -

Base:         1J0963555G         £57.16 + VAT

Backrest:   1J0963557G         £47.25 + VAT

Prices from Leicester TPS (25/03/09).

#12 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

Once again thanks for the part number Dave, the looms are now on back order with TPS [:(]

It looked up on EKTA no probs [:)] 

#13 chrisjb330

chrisjb330

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi iv got a polo 6n2 with heated seats from a 6n2 in i bought im having trouble connecting it up? I dont have the right relay or are they build in?

#14 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50155 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

Hi iv got a polo 6n2 with heated seats from a 6n2 in i bought im having trouble connecting it up? I dont have the right relay or are they build in?

They don't have a relay,just the wiring loom and switches.

Chris.

#15 chrisjb330

chrisjb330

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the reply!

iv connected them in today. Although they dont seem to be working? Sometimes after faffing the sides will heat up i think but idk? i checked the switches were throwing out a varied voltage. Is there a test i can do on the heating elements? Only other thing is the earth iv used is one going into the body as i couldnt find this earth point?

#16 graeme86

graeme86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1806 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I believe the switches operate with PWM for the heating, hence your weird voltage reading.

black_100.jpg  :wub:  OEM+ modifications?  Check out my Webspace! http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/

#17 chrisjb330

chrisjb330

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

yeah i understand that. so they are wired up correctly in theory. I just hope its not tge elements

#18 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50155 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yes they are PWM,but also switch off if they don't detect a load.

#19 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50155 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yes they are PWM,but also switch off if they don't detect a load.

#20 chrisjb330

chrisjb330

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

im going to try going straight to the battery to srr if its the earth. other than that ill jave to check it all

#21 chrisjb330

chrisjb330

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

im going to try going straight to the battery to srr if its the earth. other than that ill jave to check it all

#22 craigrob

craigrob

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

thanks for those pics noonoo, need to put a new foam in my seat so getting an exact location on the clips is a huge help!
-c

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.