62 replies to this topic

#1 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

It was years ago that I last had a diesel but had no issues with driving it. However the 2.0L TDi I have just got, I have lost count on the number of times I have stalled it.

Not when I'm taking off but rather when I'm slowing down.

With petrol I could easily say becoming up to a large roundabout in 4th, and then when I get up to the junction just stick it in 3rd or 2nd and go no problem.

With the diesel if I come up to the roundabout in 4th, It will often just die on me by the time I go to put it in 3rd or 2nd.

I think its because the revs are so low for the speed it is going at.

I've had to change my whole driving technique.

#2 spender86

spender86

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Mine doesn't do that it drops just below 1000rpm and then the anti-stall stops it from going any lower. But keeps driving with no problems and with a bit of revs it will go again.

#3 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Anti stall? Sounds interesting, I've never heard of it. I take it they have done away with it in the MK VI's as my revs fall below 1000 and then just dies.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

In my few weeks of having it and about 1000 miles, I think i've stalled once or twice due to a steep hill - thats the 1.6 TDI.

I noticed it automatically restarts the engine if you stall - does yours do that?

#5 Guest_azzle123_*

Guest_azzle123_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

Thats too high a gear to be rolling up to a roundabout in.

#6 richwig83

richwig83

Chief Troll

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15985 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

^^^ what azzle said!

Having said that.. when i got my mk5 i stalled it loads of times setting off, took me a while to get used to the clutch etc etc! [:(]

brakessig.jpg

#7 BennyG

BennyG

A4 Avant 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line Special Edition

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2208 posts
  • Bradford
  • Other Models

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Ive not managed to stall my diesel once since I got it.

I have rolled up to a roundabout in a too higher gear several times before but it doesn't stall, but instead carries on pulling, crapped myself first time I did it and nearly rear ended someone, but now I tend to press clutch down just over 1k rpm

Build Thread Part of the Elite Climatronic Upgrade Squad. 

RNS510 in a mk4 with working FIS? Check the build thread!

MTE, Lit needles, welcome message (FIS only), fault code retrieval, turbo logging, autowindows, SKC retrieval, Key and cluster coding etc PM me!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Yeh, in 4th year, it seems to go a minimum of 25mph

#9 Fabtdi

Fabtdi

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

if I come up to the roundabout in 4th, It will often just die on me by the time I go to put it in 3rd or 2nd.

how much did you pay for your driving licence again??? [:(]

#10 donkshophorse

donkshophorse

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:06 AM

i have had this problem too glad you mentioned it i thgouht it was just me! i am used to driving an automatic though so i have a lazy left foot too! got the car on wednesday this week and have stalled it four times so far by asking too much of a gear s elections at slow speeds. i guess i just need to re-train myself, and my left foot, a bit.

#11 thebambam

thebambam

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

Just work your way down the gears and depending how clear it is etc then you know what the car is capable of in that condition.  Like turning a corner you usually jam it in 2nd or somthing not 4th gear etc and judder like vibrator.

#12 lee23051977

lee23051977

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2578 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:23 AM

never stalled mine ever!!!

#13 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

never stalled mine ever!!!

Yeah, but yours isn't a Mk6 with a 2.0ltr commonrail diesel engine is it. [;)]

#14 Fabtdi

Fabtdi

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

The engine shouldnt make a difference if you can drive you can drive, i drive a early mk4 tdi and we have 3 mkvi golf tdis common rail at work and ive never stalled one or found it "hard" to drive? its just like any other manual car!

#15 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

The engine shouldnt make a difference if you can drive you can drive, i drive a early mk4 tdi and we have 3 mkvi golf tdis common rail at work and ive never stalled one or found it "hard" to drive? its just like any other manual car!

Yes, you're quite correct. Only an idiot who couldn't drive would ever stall a car, petrol or diesel, auto or manual, it makes no difference at all. [doh]

#16 Fabtdi

Fabtdi

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yes, you're quite correct. Only an idiot who couldn't drive would ever stall a car, petrol or diesel, auto or manual, it makes no difference at all. Doh!

Not saying that you cant ever stall a car but to constantly stall a car isnt right is it?! Esp a diesel!  infact i find the mkvi very nice to drive miles better than my mk4!

#17 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Modern fuel injected computer controlled cars are almost impossible to stall. You can drive to a crawl in traffic and the car will virtually climb a slight gradient, say, if 1st gear just on tickover revs.

But there again, I've been driving over 50 years with all types of cars and under almost every road condition!![;)]

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#18 GavNayshGTTDI115

GavNayshGTTDI115

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

mine will drive itself on tickover in pretty much any gear! 30mph at 1000 revs in 4th is great for economy!! never stalled it though

#19 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:42 AM

Ok, bad example guys [doh]

The roundabout I was referring to was one of those motorway exit / entry roundabouts (that are massive) where you can easily be doing 30mph coming up to it. It happened the first couple of times I approached it.

The reason for my post is I've been driving since I was 17 now 41 so my driving technique either right or wrong will have been the same for every car I have owned (about a dozen) and I've never ever stalled a car while it has been moving!! Fair enough when I was just young and taking up the clutch or changing to a new car for the first few times of using it.

But take the other day, I drove in to a side street in 2nd gear and there was only room for one car so I slowed right down to a crawl and then the oncoming car flashed me. I went to go and the car had died!!

I know folk are saying they have never stalled and I shouldn't be stalling and I totally agree with that as I never have in the past and that's including having a couple of diesels. But this is so different, with the gears so unforgiving in low revs regardless of what gear it is in so hence my question.

Does anyone have the MK VI 2.0L TDi and have any issues?

Cheers.

#20 thebambam

thebambam

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

" crawl and then the oncoming car flashed me. I went to go and the car had died!!"

Did the car not judder at all like it was about to stall.

#21 Early-1800

Early-1800

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Both myself and wife constantly stall the 2.0 TDI, often in dangerous situations like junctions and roundabouts. Both of us have 20+ years driving experience each and have driven modern Diesels (Clio DCI, Focus and Fester TDCIs etc) and never had problems with those.

Its booked in for  a service soon (at @13K even though both the bloke who delivered it to her of and me told her its on variable intervals.... but thats another story) Shes told them that theres something wrong with it becasue it stalls so often.

#22 Fabtdi

Fabtdi

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

One of the reason people stall them i think is because of how refined the engine is and how light the clutch pedal feels i cant think of any other reason?

#23 AdC

AdC

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone have the MK VI 2.0L TDi and have any issues?

Yes, I've the 140 Tdi Mk6 and find it very easy to stall compared to my old Mk3 90bhp Tdi. And in ways similar to those you describe. I can't drive it in the higher gears at low speeds like I did with the old one, and treat it more like a petrol, with a bigger dose of revs to get it going and riding the clutch. I thought maybe the relative quietness of the new one was denying me an audible cue, but 2500 miles along the road, I'm not convinced - it just doesn't like no / light throttle at starting / very slow speeds, compared with its 15 year old predecessor...

#24 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

" crawl and then the oncoming car flashed me. I went to go and the car had died!!"

Did the car not judder at all like it was about to stall.

No nothing at all. I tested it last night as I was coming home. Put it into 4th doing about 30mph and took my foot of the accelerator, it happily drove itself. Started braking ever so slightly and by 20mph it had died. It is so quiet I didn't even notice it had died apart from the ignition lights on. And to answer another posters comment, no it doesn't restart itself.

When I learned to drive we were taught to come down the gears one by one, say from 4th - 3rd - 2nd before stopping or moving onto a junction / roundabout. Now my daughter is learning to drive and she has been told not to come down all the gears but put it straight from 4th to 2nd, which is how I've been driving for years but thinking this is a lazy way. But this seems to be why the car is stalling.

#25 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

Both myself and wife constantly stall the 2.0 TDI, often in dangerous situations like junctions and roundabouts. Both of us have 20+ years driving experience each and have driven modern Diesels (Clio DCI, Focus and Fester TDCIs etc) and never had problems with those.

Its booked in for  a service soon (at @13K even though both the bloke who delivered it to her of and me told her its on variable intervals.... but thats another story) Shes told them that theres something wrong with it becasue it stalls so often.

I'm glad its just not me then [:)]  Keep me posted with what they say. I've changed my driving to suit now and am more aware of it happening but it can be annoying at times.

I've noticed on other forums other diesel drivers saying it is much easier to stall.

#26 p3asa

p3asa

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

One of the reason people stall them i think is because of how refined the engine is and how light the clutch pedal feels i cant think of any other reason?

That would be fair enough when taking up the clutch and driving off but not the other way about I reckon.

#27 D1cky

D1cky

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

Just to add my support to poor p3assa, I'm having a lot of trouble stalling as well (and I've been driving for 30 years). I've always loved the fact that in a diesel you can just take your foot off the clutch and off it will go but with my 1.6 tdi it dies like a petrol car. It also does that when doing a rolling start in 2nd. It really does demand a different technique with more revs and accurate foot control.

While I'm at it, am I the only one here who finds it irritating when Mk4 owners respond to problems that are Mk6 specific? It seems to happen on virtually every thread.  

#28 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

I used to find the MK5 105 TDI much easier to stall than any other car I've driven. Apparently on modern diesels it seems that the ECU now cuts off the engine if revs drop below a set number to avoid sending shocks through the dual mass flywheel.

Ignore people who say "All modern cars" or "All diesels" are impossible to stall, both statements are wrong.

This thread on PistonHeads is worth a read - http://www.pistonhea...0&f=23&t=708024

2015 GTD DSG

#29 lapierre

lapierre

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Me too and driving for 30 yrs and mostly driving heavy trucks.

#30 dwsugden

dwsugden

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I know this is an old thread but I was curious about stalling the 2.0 tdi. I took delivery if my Golf a month ago and this is the first diesel I have owned (2.0 TDI (140)). I've been driving for 25 years and I've stalled this car on a number of occasions. Today was the first time I experienced stalling a car approaching traffic lights which were on red. I was slowing down in 4th gear when the engine suddenly died. There was a slight sound and that was it...the engine had died. In a petrol engine you could feel the cue when you were in too high of a gear and you depressed the clutch. It seems as though I have to learn how to drive this car from scratch. On another occasion I stalled it approaching a roundabout in second gear - again I stalled it. I'm 'glad' other people are having the same problem - makes me feel a little better - lol.

Regards,
Darren

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.