Outgoing: 1.4 Golf. Incoming: S-Line Audi A4 Tdi... - Members Rides - uk-mkivs

Photo

Outgoing: 1.4 Golf. Incoming: S-Line Audi A4 Tdi...

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#1 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft
  • Golf IV Match 1.4 16v AXP 75PS

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hi guys.

Well, everybody else seems to have a build thread of somesort, so im starting one too. I'm not doing anything too fancy as me and my g/f are saving for a house, but i've got a few mod's planned. I've had a few cars before, and am a bit of a Volvo nut deep-down (the next car would have been a V70R Estate, but we had to downsize because of the savings).

Couple of my old cars: 

My old Volvo 440 2.0i

My old 480 Turbo

Our Mk2 Clio (now sold for the VW): Front and Rear.

Anyway, now thats out of the way!

We picked up a Golf Match with 62k on the clock on a 2003. We held out for a Match as it had the trip-computer, Air-con, rear headrests etc. It took a while, but we got one in the end. We could have had a GTi, but my g/f is under 25 with 6 points, so insurance was tricky. So we opted for the 1.4 and decided I could spend a little cash on it [Y]

First of all it needed a major service. New belts, aux belt etc. Anyway, the first day we got it home:

Golf.jpg IMG_3491.jpg

As with any new car though, it came with a bunch of previous owner problems. The bootlight didn't work, and with further investigation, it turned out the wiper motor was knackered, which in-turn fried the boot latch microswitch. So, I repaired the wiper motor and replaced the bootlatch, so that now works. I took the time to replace the rear wiper with the Mk5 one too. I also decided to de-badge the boot-well, just the letters. It had been put on slightly on the p*ss, so a good excuse to get it off.

DSC09090.jpg

As the wing-mirrors aren't body coloured, I'm getting them done. This evening, I popped all the front and rear bumper trims off along with the wing mirror cases and sent them to my Uncles bodyshop for painting. I'm not having the door strips done just yet as I'm not sure whether i'm going to buy new ones (as mine are scraped) and do them myself, or get the bodyshop to do them.

At some point, the wheels have been handsprayed, and badly at that. So a refurb is on the cards, unless I can get a good clean kerb-less set of Monty II's for the price of the refurb (about £180). The wheels would be bigger, but purse-strings are tightened 'cos of the whole house deposit thing... I could have a big set, but nothing else! They don't look too bad in the photo, but a couple of them are flaking really badly now: obviously a rushed job-especially as I had to remove loads of over-spray from one of the wings, and the tyres and callipers also got a healthy dose of it too [:(]

Wheel.jpg

I've replaced interior trims, door grabs, centre console, gear gaitor etc. Added front and rear cup-holders, cut the ariel down to stubby and got a new set of mats from VW for £21! I've spent about £300 not inc. the £379 service putting things right, but now they're done I can start doing other little bits.

I've been a member of Detailing World for a good few years now, and although not a big poster, I do spend lot of time cleaning:

Polisheddoor1st.jpg Polishedroof1st.jpg

Badgefront.jpg

Plans for the car are as follows:

•  
  • Euro spec rear lights
  •  
  • Door/Bumper strips/Wing mirrors colour-coded
  •  
  • Wheel refurb/replacement
  •  
  • Lowering (just springs, can't afford coilies!), about 40mm (EDIT: JOM Coilovers, approx 50mm)
  •  
  • Anniversary Front or 4Mo front valance
  •  
  • 4Mo parking sensor rear valance 
  •  
  • Additions to 'to do' list...
  •  
  • Install (CD player, front mid's & tweets, sub & amp)
  •  
  • Black/Grey sports interior
  •  
  • Front armrest (with fabric retrimmed in something eye catching!)
  •  
  • GTi steering wheel (maybe)
  •  
  • Monty II spare (maybe).
  •  

And that'll be it! I like simple and subtle, and this is the best I can do with the financial constraints imposed [:DD]

The car has been mis-treated, and the lacquer is quite scratched, so in the spring i'm going to the local pro-valeters to see if they can give the car a good machine polish to get some of it out. Then i'll ask about the windows as they're really scratched too. The screen is going to be an insurance job in the next couple of months, but the other windows i'm not sure about...

Anyway, that's the car for now-hopefully i'll be posting again in a few days with my new colour-coded bumper strips on!

Dan

banner2-2.jpg

#2 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:19 AM

Not much going on at the moment. Just replaced my bootlatch as the microswitch was fried by the leaky rear wiper motor. Done a small guide too, which can be see here.

Removed my bumper strips last week and dropped them off at my Uncles bodyshop. I have done bodywork before, but I thought i'd leave it to the pro's! Also had the wing mirrors done as these were just black plastic. Not had the chance to get them on yet because of the bad weather! But here they are in all their glory:

Posted Image

Going to get the doorstrips done and probably the handles, but in the summer as i'll do them myself. I'm more chuffed with the wing mirrors at the moment as the black unpainted ones looked awful...

Got a small problem to deal with in the mean time though: having issues with the passenger window motor. Not the common problem, but annoying none-the-less.

Next on the list is either lowering or euro rear lights....unless something breaks first!

banner2-2.jpg

#3 kyle1b1

kyle1b1

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1635 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

looks good.

never noticed the black mirrors, should look 10x better with painted bits on.

#4 Dancey_

Dancey_

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:48 AM

Looking good dude!

Get it dropped next, vital mod for the Golf.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

Looks cool, maybe try leaving the side rub-strip in black, I think they look awesome on red golfs. So long as it's well maintained. [:)]

#6 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Cheers guys.

Just nipped outside to pop the wing mirror cases on. Well pleased with them, already looks alot better:

Posted Image Posted Image

Just need the snow to stop then i'll think about putting the bumper strips on (another day).

banner2-2.jpg

#7 mr_wigster

mr_wigster

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11013 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

Looks like a great base car to work from.  [Y]  Colour coded mirrors and rub-strips will also improve the look on the outside.  Personally, rather than re-furb those rims, I'd look out for a cheap set of 18s and put them on.

Also, for springs, look out for Apex - they do a spring kit for under £100 for the Mk4 and I've had fantastic results with them on previous cars.  My Golf would be on their springs now, but for a previous owner having already fitted an Eibach set.

Wigster. 

#8 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

I'm not too fussed about 18" wheels, but my wheel budget really is only what it would cost to refurb those, so £180. I think a set of Monty II's would look nice, but I'll be lucky to find a set that don't need refurbishing for £180! I'd love a set of the 4Motion/Audi TT multispokes, but I think chances are v.v. slim!

I was going to post about springs, wasn't sure what to go for-and I wanted to stick a picture post up to see how low 40mm drops sit after they've bedded in! I can't go too low 'cos I still drive 4 up quite alot and I need the work car park to be accessible.

banner2-2.jpg

#9 Dancey_

Dancey_

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:35 AM

Posted Image

This is how my TDi sits dropped 35mm, so 40mm is fractionally lower. Although, because of the TDi lump compared the 1.4 it might sit lower anyway, i'm not sure!

#10 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

Cheers for that picture [Y]. Don't suppose there's any chance of a side profile shot of it is there? I quite like it lowered on the Avus! [^o)]

I took the car to the hand car wash today (lance only, no brushes!) to blast some of the salt and stuff off as the roads round here are clearing up nicely. And when I got home, I couldn't resist sticking the rear bumper strips back on [:D] Very happy with them. Would have done the front bumper strip, but not got any sticky pads to secure the numberplate back on the plate surround, and i'm not drilling the new plate, so i'll hang on a few days until I get some. But here's the rear now:

And looks nicer now with the wing mirror cases on:

So, without doing much, a productive weekend! [:D]

banner2-2.jpg

#11 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

Well, finally the weather has cleared up enough for me to fit the front bumper strip. Just in time for it to rain! Well pleased with it, although from the front it does just look like a standard Golf. At least I know it's different anyway!

Also got my replacement boot panel (the trim bit that covers the wiper motor as mine was in terrible condition) and finally got the little plug that plugs into the bootlatch, so I can wire that properly. But it'll have to wait for a drier day than this!

Lowering next then I think.... [:D

banner2-2.jpg

#12 kyle1b1

kyle1b1

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1635 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:46 AM

looks better already ! [Y]

thought about these ? they not 40mm for for £50 ?

lowering springs

#13 Jamie8954

Jamie8954

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2016 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

looking well mate :)

#14 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Cheers! Really happy with how things are going at the moment. I'm torn now between the lowering and rear lights though.... I've seen some Euro Spec rear lights, but lowering would be nice...

I've got some extra cash heading my way soon, which would refurb my wheels and lower it, so I could do those in one hit, lower it whilst the wheels are off. The rear looks a bit odd at the mo imo, all that red with orange strips....

Decisions decisions! 

banner2-2.jpg

#15 J400uk

J400uk

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

Looks good, I'd reccomend getting the rest of it colour coded (door handles and side strips) and fitting some GTI lights [y]

2015 GTD DSG

#16 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Cheers! I did consider GTi lights, but I want something a little different. I know they're quite popular around this forum etc, but i've not seen any Golf's round my way with them on yet, so it's gotta be Euro's [:)] Plus I like the way the clear strip matches the side-repeaters and he headlights then.

Sidestrips are on the to-do list, not sure about handles though. IF I could get a set from a write off already done then i'd have them, but it's alot of hassle to do them....i'll see how I feel when it's closer to the time... [;)]

banner2-2.jpg

#17 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

Well, i'm venturing outside to fit the new little plug on the bootlatch this morning. I was going to clean the car, but it's that fine misty rain, so it's impossible. This is the little critter thats going on:

Posted Image

Got a few plans for it the next few weeks. On Monday Feb 1st, it's going back to my Uncles garage to have the sidestrips colourcoded. I was going to have a go myself, but i'm really pleased with how the front and rear strips have come out, so i'm leaving it to the pro's again! Also having my front ARB's done too.

And this morning, my finger accidentally slipped on eBay..... [;)]

Posted Image

So these will be gong on when they arrive. Not major mod's, but slowly changing the look of the car. It's the only Match round here looking like this anyway.... [Y] Just Anni valance, Wheels and Springs to go [:)]

banner2-2.jpg

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3346 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

I like the way the colour coded rubstrips work with the black handles and side strips [:)] Very nice work

#19 alex-atari

alex-atari

Techno Viking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9784 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

Looking good Dan!

Euro rears are a good choice. What wheels have you got in mind?

#20 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Cheers [Y]

Managed to give the car a full wash and polish, interior clean and do the wiring on the boot latch and replace the grab handles! Knackered though, but worth it.

With regards to wheels, i'm just getting the Avus refurbished. As I mentioned earlier up, i'm on the verge of getting a house, so I can't spend loads of cash. We have an agreement on what we can afford, and we figured colourcoding, Euro rear's, lowering (springs), Anni Valance and wheel refurb is all we can do. Colourcoding doesn't cost much as my Uncle has a garage, it's just the wheels, lights and valance that dent the pocket. If we could afford it we wanted some 4Mo alloys, but we can only really spend on wheels what it would cost to refurb ours (£140), plus the tyres are nearly new too. The TDi pic a bit further up looks nice lowered on Avus, so thats what we're heading for. Not through choice, but subtle is the way forward!

I do like the contrast of the side strips being black as red is a very over-powering colour. I think the back end of my car looks a bit weird with orange in the rear lights: it's too close to red which makes it look ott. However, the side-strips are being done, but i'm leaving the handles black. When I get the anni valance, i'm hoping that I can get that in just black ABS, i.e. not primed, as I may leave that black too. I wasn't sure about a black valance, but I saw one on a silver Golf in the 'Pic whore' thread, and it looked ok. As it's only a 1.4, and i'm on a very tight budget (especially with parents breathing down your neck judging your spending habits when you should be saving for a house!), you have to keep it subtle imo. We'll see how it unfolds! But cheers for the comments guys [:)]

Anyway, some nice shiney pics from today + interior shot with clean new mats in! 

That last one will look nicer with the Euro rears in....[;)]

Dan

banner2-2.jpg

#21 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Been having a little fiddle on Photoshop. My skills on it aren't great despite getting a qualification in Graphic Design!! I wanted to lower it and colourcode the side-strips and put the clear bit in the rear lights. I couldn't mock up an Anni valance to pop on but I think the difference is noticeable. It looks nice and simple! It might not lower as much as i've done it as i'm only going for 40mm springs, but as I say, it's just a little fiddle [whistle]

Now:

Posted Image

After (hopefully it'll settle that low!)

Posted Image

Lights should arrive this week, side-strips are going in to be done in 8 days (next Monday)...

banner2-2.jpg

#22 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

Just a quick update. Lights arrived! After a little deliberation on quality etc (see this thread), I decided to fit them:

Excuse the dirtyness of the car, it's been snowing AGAIN here, so the roads are caked in salt and grit. I'll get a nicer picture when the weathers better. 

Another job done! [:D]

banner2-2.jpg

#23 olibb

olibb

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

Looks great mate! Whats the future plans?

#24 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

Cheers [Y] Well, as per the thread, i'm not going to do much more (on a real tight budget, so not many plans). It's getting the door strips colourcoded this coming week, and the plan is then to get it lowered (just springs i'm afraid!). The wheels need refurbishing, so rather than pick up a crappy condition set of great wheels, i'm just getting these done for £140 (done a quick Photoshop a few replies up...).

Then the last plan is to get the anniversary front valance, but it'll be a while before that comes along: everytime I get a £1 coin I stick it on my shelf and this is the anni-pound pile lol. It's taken me 4 weeks to put £50 into it (get the odd tip on the van I work on), so prediction is in 10 weeks time, I should have enough to buy an ABS rep [:D]. 

Then, that was it. But i'm already warming to the idea of a 4Mo rear valance without the exhaust cut-out...[:$]

banner2-2.jpg

#25 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Managed to give the car a clean today. Really pleased with the lights, they look alot nicer now he car's fully cleaned!

It's going to my Uncles garage tomorrow and he's changing the ARB's and then it's having the side-strips colourcoded. I'm not lazy, it's just convenient and I get looked after [;)]

banner2-2.jpg

#26 chrisr

chrisr

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts
  • Middleton / Manchester
  • Golf V R32 3.2 250PS

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Looking miles better [H]

Its amazing how colour coding the rub strips & just changing the rear lights can make such a difference

#27 The_allstar

The_allstar

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4107 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

It's looking great mate. You planning on a sharan badge? Nice cheap mod for you there :) Think that would set your rear off nicely if you'll excuse the expression. 

#28 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

Cheers! The more I look at it the more I think about doing it, but i'll wait until I see a Sharan at the breakers: i'm not spending £20 on a badge, dealer or not! [:D]

Side strips are being done as we speak, should hopefully have the car back tomorrow...

banner2-2.jpg

#29 dantheman1981

dantheman1981

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Lowestoft

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Well, the cars back from having it's side-strips done and i'm really pleased with how the car looks:

Posted Image

With the Euro rears on it looks nice. Had my first issue with the rear lights that i'm not happy about, and one that i'm wary of anyway from previous experience changing OEM lights: the drivers rear has started to condensate in the clear strip. Not good, or happy! I'm hoping it's the seal, and took NooNoo's advice on my original light post and bought two new seals. They're coming to my local VW on Tuesday, so will replace them next weekend. It only happened after I used the hand car wash lance to give the car a quick once over, all the windows steamed up inside after about an hour of it being left outside, but it was cold. I checked behind the lights to see if any had come into the boot, and I pulled all the seats up/checked all the carpets etc to check for wet/damp material but nothing, so hopefully it was a one off, and hopefully the new seal will stop any water getting into the light...

With that done anyway, the next job is wheel refurbishment and lowering (hopefully all to be completed in the next month). The pillock who had my car previous hand sprayed the wheels. There was a bit of corrosion on them, but nothing bad: the paint that has peeled off has revealed a nice clean finish underneath. If they hadn't been sprayed, I wouldn't be getting them refurbished. I won't be getting any fancy colour either, it'll just be silver again. Then i'll get some new centre caps and some new nut-caps. Anyhoo, here are the wheels now (the are a bit dirty, but you can still see the poor quality!):

...and the worst ones:

Looking forward to wheels and lowering as it looks like a 4x4 at the mo, and when it's clean, the wheel condition really lets it down. So, thats it for the time being. Anti-roll bar bushes have now been replaced so no annoying knocking from the front [:D] Then it's on to the last job (possibly....[;)], the Anni front spoiler (once the springs have bedded in).

banner2-2.jpg

#30 Golfedd

Golfedd

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

[Y] Looks ace! nice job, shall be keeping an eye on this... another 1.4er

how are you going to lower? coild or shocks and springs... I went for Supersport shocks as they where at a sale price a while back on VENOM and I had two blown dampers... The springs came 50mm front and 30mm back, no idea why looks rubbish but I'm eveneing it out shortly LOL

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.