#1 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

So my current MKVI company car is due to go back earlier than expected in March 2014 so I've been advised to place an order for a new car asap.

Unfortunately the budget isn't what I was hoping for, so GTD and GT are out of the picture (gutted really, as would have like to go for one of those).

So, currently looking at the 2.0 TDI in SE spec and due to the limited budget I can't go mad on the options list either. So I'm only going to be able to add front fogs and also the mirror pack (got the same in the MK VI and found that very useful as car is parked on street). Shame parking sensors aren't standard as I'll miss those.

Going to mull it over during the weekend before placing an order early next week I think. We have options from Audi, BMW, Mini, Vauxhall and VW to choose from, but Golf is the only one making sense to me at the moment. I could go for a 1 series in 118d SE form, but not sure I want to to be honest as been really happy with the MKVI and the MKV I had before that.

#2 trl

trl

No longer a Dubber

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8211 posts
  • Cambs
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Have you driven a 1 Series? I'd at least give it a try. They've a superb chassis. 

#3 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I drove an older 1 series and did like the way it drove - arrgh, looks like the budget won't even stretch to the 118d SE - it would have to be the 116d by the looks of it.

#4 trl

trl

No longer a Dubber

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8211 posts
  • Cambs
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Oooo. Gutless. :(

#5 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, agreed. Golf it is then Smile.

#6 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Price change of 1% across the range coming up on 4th November..

#7 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ahh, thanks for that. Will get an order in this month. Might even stick to the 1.6TDI like I've got now as can add a shed load of options.

#8 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

lightning ipod/iphone connector being finally introduced too

#9 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Right then, narrowed it down to one of the two following options. One with the low emissions 1.6TDI and the second with the new 2.0TDI. Any comments/opinions gratefully received. 

Option 1
1.6 TDI SE
Night Blue Metallic
17inch Singapore Alloys with Sports Suspension
Winter Pack
Mirror Pack
Front Fogs
Parking Sensors

Option 2
2.0 TDI SE 
Night Blue Metallic
Mirror Pack
Parking Sensors

#10 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10648 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I guess it depends how important the extra options you have on the 1.6tdi are to you?

#11 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, lease will be 4 years so I'm thinking having a comfortable cabin is more important than the extra umph the 2.0 litre will provide. 

#12 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

I'd go for the 1.6 and the extra options I think

#13 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hmm, I've now done a quote for a 2.0 GT in Urano Grey and that is only coming in at £1.82 a month over my limit. I think I'm going to have a word with my boss on Monday to see if they can squeeze the order through. GT is much better value than having to add the options onto the equivalent 2.0 SE.

#14 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Can you pay the £2 yourself ?

#15 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

We are allowed to trade up a grade which is what I'm already doing. Unfortunately the grade max is 450 a month whereas the GT comes in at 451.82. I'm hoping they will let me contribute the additional 1.82 on top of the contribution I'm already making to trade up, fingers crossed!

#16 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

It's a bugger being an employee isn't it ? My MD has managed to accumulate 9 points in 4 months...so I've offered to take his 10 month old a5 off his hands..."just in case" Smile

#17 nealey

nealey

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if you are aware but the 1.6 tdi uses a beam rear axle whereas the 2.0 has independent rear suspension. 

I had a gt for 5 days and absolutely loved it, my only gripe with it was the size of the boot as I thought it was a little too small for my needs 

#18 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

It's a bugger being an employee isn't it ? My MD has managed to accumulate 9 points in 4 months...so I've offered to take his 10 month old a5 off his hands..."just in case" Smile

Well, it would be rude not to really to save his licence Big Smile.

#19 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Not sure if you are aware but the 1.6 tdi uses a beam rear axle whereas the 2.0 has independent rear suspension. 

I had a gt for 5 days and absolutely loved it, my only gripe with it was the size of the boot as I thought it was a little too small for my needs 

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping I can scrape through a GT. If not I'm going to go with the 2.0 but it will be in SE form. Without the metallic paint I can add the front fogs and tinted rear glass. Would definitely prefer a GT though if at all possible. 

#20 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

I would go for the 2.0 personally.

I'm driving a 1.2 Ecothingy Fiesta at the moment (I'm in Scotland on Business) and going from my GTI to this is painful. The Fiesta is a great chassis and fun to drive but honestly there is no replacement for displacement. Many options, cruise controls and sat nav, etc, can all be retrofitted.

I'm sure if the boss is reasonable the £1.82 a month can be absorbed or you can pay it.

Good luck!

#21 Mark V

Mark V

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Go for the GT - and if it were me (and you have direct contact)I would just tell the suppler they need to lower the price by £1.82 per month to seal the deal rather than debate it with your boss.

#22 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Funnily enough Mark that is what it's come to Smile. My boss said 'sure no problem', but our HR dept then put the end to that saying they have a policy in place etc. etc - balls Angry.

Sooo, I've been in touch with our leasing company to see if they can loose the additional £1.82. Unfortunately our account manager at the leasing company is off sick at the mo, but due back tomorrow so will give me a call then. I'm sure they have enough purchasing power to get rid of that small amount. I'm really hoping they will play ball as got my mind set on the GT now!

#23 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yes Best of luck.

I can't see why HR said no. Surely your boss's words override the HR people?

#24 Ryan1187

Ryan1187

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've just got a 1.6TDI mk7, going from a stage 2 mk4 GTi I was almost dreading it, thinking the mk7 wouldn't move in comparison but its not that bad at all. I'm not saying the 1.6TDI is a fast car by any means but its not as slow as I was expecting.

Mine is completely standard (no optional extras) but again I was surprised at how well equipped it is; active cruise control, Bluetooth, touchscreen computer system, auto handbrake, steering wheel controls etc.

Done over 1000 miles now and the indicated MPG is 58, double what I was getting from the GTi!

#25 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

HR basically said if they make an exception for me, it opens a large can of worms for the rest of the company car drivers and then they have to decide how far over the grade people are allowed to go etc. etc. I can see their point, but annoying all the same.

Yes, you can't beat the 1.6TDI for economy. Might be a tad different in the MK7 engine, but once on my current MK6 I've had over 700 miles out of a tank. I regularly see high 50s to mid 60s on the MPG front when it comes to fill up time.

I've decided I'd like more grunt now, so I will have to go with the SE 2.0TDI if I can't get the GT. I'll add the Singapore alloys, Mirror Pack and Front Fogs to it as well, so it will be as close to a GT as I can get it Wink.

#26 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh yes, also those of you who already have a MK7 and fancy the chrome exhaust trim, apparently the sports exhaust trim from a Skoda Yeti fits nicely Smile.

clicky

I think they can be found on fleabay as well as the postage on the above is quite steep.

Here's the original thread on the subject:- clicky

#27 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Oh well, no movement available on the price as the price quoted is the best price available apparently. If it were a private purchase, I'd be walking away at the moment and find someone else who would match the price.

However, as it's not I need to order something, so I've gone with the following:-

2.0 TDI 150PS 6sp SE
Urano Grey
17 inch Singapore Alloys + Sports Suspension
Front Fog Lights
Mirror Pack

That brings me in at £1.42 under my limit. Not the exact car I was hoping for, but I'm sure I'll still be happy with what turns up in 4-5 months time Smile.

#28 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

At least there's a silver lining there bud!

What's the difference between what you've bought and what you wanted.

#29 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

I think the difference between the SE and the GT is some subtle tweaks to the exterior with some chrome trim on the front grill, no sports seats, no ambient interior lights, black dashboard trim rather than dark silver, no sat nav (not too bothered about that as use my own anyway), no parking sensors and no tinted rear windows.

Main one I would really have liked would be the parking sensors - I guess you get used to having them - my MKVI is the first car to have them, but now I've got so used to them! I'll just have to learn to park the old fashioned way again Big Smile.

#30 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Arrrghhhh - really not having much luck. Apparently I'd ordered a 'Special Edition' model of the SE and they are all out of build slots for it.

On top of that the prices appear to have already gone up, so only option I can now add to the 2.0TDI SE is the 17 inch Madrid alloys and sports suspension. Anyway, I've gone for that so hopefully this one will get built!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.