Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi everyone,
I thought the obvious thing to do when buying a new car would be to start a new build thread so here it is.
This what i parted ways with on Saturday, its looks nice enough in the pictures and has since been lowered but a £2.5k jobs list just wasn't feasable (nothing to do with mods or anything interesting). It was a GT tdi 110 which was alright for my first golf.
christrackday-11.jpg
I went out looking for any decent diesel golf which was in considerably better condition then the last and I came home with this.
20131111_110347.jpg

20131111_110414.jpg

20131111_110428.jpg

I've only had it a few days but I'm pretty happy with the extra poke and it's much nicer to drive considering the things going wrong with the previous car.
I think I've learnt my lesson so this time I will get a few things sorted to give me a good base so i don't start polishing a turd like the last time. There are one or two very small dints that need to come out and there are some very obvious grit swirls in the paint work. So i just need to save a bit of dosh and will look into getting everything bodywork wise sorted in one go.
The other pressing issue will a cambelt. Although there is a service stamp for every year no one bothered to state if they did the cambelt or not. So i figured i'll just get it sorted. Better safe than sorry i guess.
Other than that it just needs an oil pressure switch (im told not a lot of monies) and a good service which i can do myself over christmas.
So once all these little/big things are done there might be something a bit more interesting for you all to look at.
Thanks for reading emotion-21.gif

#2 stobo91

stobo91

Still a newbie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5822 posts
  • Chesterfield, Derbyshire
  • -------

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Looks a good base to start with mate! We all know black Mk4s are the bestest Smile

#3 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10648 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Looks like a good base and the best derv engine Yes Best to do the cambelt to be on the safe side just like you said Smile

Dan

#4 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Looks a good base to start with mate! We all know black Mk4s are the bestest Smile

Cheers guys

Obviously just bought the thing so pretty skint for the rest of the month but hopefully i'll find the odd thing to do here and there.

Im hoping on sunday to get a go with the father in laws machine polisher and all his cleaning goodies to see what we can do before she goes in the bodyshop.

Wink

#5 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ive just been informed of an early Christmas present that is happening next week so I will have some updates sooner then I thought.

Shall keep posting Big Smile

#6 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

So at the weekend I gave the car a good clean. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but there will be some up soon.

It was the first time I have used a clay bar and juicy lube and its incredible the amount of crap that came off. I also had a go at machine polishing the bonnet because it seems the previous owner enjoyed wahsing the car with bags of gravel. 

The first thing I used wasn't abrasive enough to get any swirls out so I reached for the T-cut which did a grand job. All the swirls are gone just leaving a few deeper scratches. Polished it up with some poorboys black hole and and then some paint sealant. Pretty happy with the result.

Tomorrow she goes into the bodyshop so the nice man can put my machine polishing to shame when he does the sides ( can only afford that much so far ). Im excited to see how she comes out Big Smile

Will get some pictures up in the next few days.

Yes

#7 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thought i would throw up a jobs list to give you an idea of where im heading.

Cosmetic

- A decent set of coilovers (something a bit better quality then the JOMs on the last golf)

-Alloys. I have something in mind but still undecided

Smoothed bumpers

Double din stereo, hopefully OEM if i can find a nice one to fit.

R32 front and anni rear with spoiler.

New interior trim for doors and dash etc. Not sure on style or colour just yet.

Bora vents and clocks.

MK5 boot conversion.

De wiper

Performance

Unfortunately i'm not too hot on this topic so i don't have much a clue about what can be done and potential costs and what not so some extensive reading is needed.

Only thing i'm sure on is a Remap. I'm sure i will get used to the 130 poke soon enough.

Potentially upgraded brakes- maybe audi TT set up???

De-cat pipe

As i said, i dont have a clue so some ideas and inspiration would be cool Yes

I'm sure i will think of more but there's my intial thoughts Cool

#8 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf VI GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

I had a pd130 for five years prior to my mk6 and it was great. Very little issue at all and the poke would still put a smile on my face even without a remap. Looks like a good start pal!

#9 Aidantracey93

Aidantracey93

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Ireland

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Nice car man :) hope it goes better than the last one!

#10 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Nice car man :) hope it goes better than the last one!

Cheers guys.

I know most of the mods are pretty common but hopefully because they are the best. I would like something a bit different so will see how i get on

#11 Robertpunton3

Robertpunton3

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Falkirk, Scotland
  • Golf IV 1.6 8v AKL 100PS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Looks nice man, good base to start modding, your plans so far is a good start. I'll keep my eye on this threadYes

#12 squares

squares

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1245 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

nice mate, looks a good base to start on, I've got the same issue with polish swirls but I have a friend with a body shop so I'm going to give it a bit of a wash at the weekend then leave it til after the inevitable snow fall before it goes in the shop for a proper finish.

sub'd anyway :)

#13 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Plans sound spot on .... and its true black golfs are the best lol.

For the brakes find a v6 4mo or TT quattro in the breakers, you should get the front and rear calipers, discs and pads for around £150. Nice cheap upgrade to 312mm front and 256mm rear. The rear calipers will need 6mm spacers (£30 from awesome gti).

For the decat, milltek seems to be the one of choice.

#14 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

nice little car there bud, I'll be watching the updates and all that :D

#15 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments

The car went into the body shop on wednesday to have the sides machine polished. It was in for about 4 hours but I don't know the level of time and effort it takes to get the paint work mint.

Will hopefully get her polished up at the weekend to see if the machine polish has taken. I've only seen it in the dark since Wednesday Whistle

Yes

#16 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

Evening all

Been spending my afternoon getting the car all polished up since the machine polish and I couldn't be happier with the result. 

I took it to Phil at  Suffolk bodywork in Haverhill who did a cracking job. So if you're in the area definitely worth considering.

Here are a few pictures of my day. 

I would like to tell you that this is my awesome set up but I can't. The garage is usually home to this....

Roush Mustang- cheeky 450bhp or so.

A nice clean engine bay, which I didn't really do much to because it was decent to begin with.

The next pictures are after I black holed and sealed it. You might notice a difference between the bonnet (My machine polishing handy work) and the side (the bodyshop work). 

And the finishing shot

And tucked away for the night

Obviously with Christmas coming up not much will be happening to this but there is a fair few things on my Christmas list which I'm hoping to open up.

Will keep you all posted as usual

Yes

#17 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Unfortunately the pictures are pretty poor. Doesn't really do it justice. Sad

#18 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

it's come up well even if the quality of the images is bad you can still see a difference

I'm sure in the flesh it's sparkling

#19 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Cheers buddy, once I get some funds I'll probably send it back to the bodyshop and get the rest done.

After Christmas money is set aside for cambelt (no real evidence its been done) and hopefully the rest of the body work. Not very exciting I know but slow and steady....

Yes

#20 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

One step forward, two steps back.

The car won't start this morning which isn't great. It will turn over once or twice then nothing. I'm guessing the battery, but until i can get it jumped I won't know.

Bang Head

#21 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Battery done. Money I didn't want to spend but oh well. 

Sad

#22 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Will keep an eye on this.. I've had a 51 reg black 5dr 130 since 2003 and I still love it even now.. No intention of changing it. Really nice mustang too looks great.
Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#23 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

So it's been a little while since i updated anything purely because there was nothing to report.

However, just before Christmas i received this little set in the post courtesy of Mike (Bigtallbloke) but they had to be wrapped and stuck under the tree for a couple of weeks.

20131229_232058.jpg

I've done a bit of reading on how to fit them and some people say there is a wiring loom that has to be made and some say you can just scotch lock onto existing wiring somewhere. I'll soon see when i pull the current ones out.

The other downfall is January exams so any work i want to do to the car will have to wait until after that.  :(

I've been hearing a knocking that sounds like it's coming from the drivers door, possibly a loose wiring connector or something banging around.

I pulled the door card off to investigate and to also pull off the door puddle light as that needs replacing. Ordered some door card clips as a couple are missing.

I can't seem to find the clips that secure the cables in place so if someone knows where i can get them then please tell me. :Y:

Still a general tidy up happening before all the fun stuff starts but hopefully a few more updates in the new year.

Thanks for reading.

e09d0750-10ea-4ed2-9012-bb8313bb10b1.jpg

^^click for build thread^^

#24 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Will keep an eye on this.. I've had a 51 reg black 5dr 130 since 2003 and I still love it even now.. No intention of changing it. Really nice mustang too looks great.

Cheers buddy, do you have a build thread at all?

#25 JasonB

JasonB

Fritzel Basement Development LTD

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • London Heathrow
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

That Mustang is amazing :wub:

11239149524_edaf875c7e.jpg

#26 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Cheers buddy, do you have a build thread at all?

Hi, I don't have a build thread unfortunately. It's quite standard to look at. But has been well looked after. Few things like cruise control, r32 wheel, sat nav, and bora vents over the years. Parrot mki9200 which is an outstanding bit of kit. No remaps no big alloys or lowering though. Nice on other cars but not my thing for my own car.
I'm sure there's a how to for the vents which lists part numbers for wires and connectors needed. If you use all the right connectors from that thread I'm sure it was plug and play with no splicing.
Can't find it since the site has changed but check out the DIY guides its there somewhere..
Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#27 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi, I don't have a build thread unfortunately. It's quite standard to look at. But has been well looked after. Few things like cruise control, r32 wheel, sat nav, and bora vents over the years. Parrot mki9200 which is an outstanding bit of kit. No remaps no big alloys or lowering though. Nice on other cars but not my thing for my own car.
I'm sure there's a how to for the vents which lists part numbers for wires and connectors needed. If you use all the right connectors from that thread I'm sure it was plug and play with no splicing.
Can't find it since the site has changed but check out the DIY guides its there somewhere..

There is nothing like a well kept car  :Y:

I found a range of how to's which is why i found differing methods.; I will definitely have another root around when i come to fitting them.

Cheers mate

#28 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

here you go 

https://uk-mkivs.net/...s-and-w8-light/

good guy @old_n07 know what's what :P

the loom is easy to make I'd get OEM connectors if you can

and you splice into the dash dim cable that way they dim with the rest of the dash ;)

made my own loom thanks to uk-mkivs tho i'd say 65 / 65 / 65 as my loom was wayy to long

personally I spliced into mine with a horrible scotch lock and never got around to soldering it in properly still works tho

#29 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

here you go 
https://uk-mkivs.net/...s-and-w8-light/
good guy @old_n07 know what's what :P

the loom is easy to make I'd get OEM connectors if you can

and you splice into the dash dim cable that way they dim with the rest of the dash ;)

made my own loom thanks to uk-mkivs tho i'd say 65 / 65 / 65 as my loom was wayy to long

personally I spliced into mine with a horrible scotch lock and never got around to soldering it in properly still works tho

Cheers mate, need to give this a go now exams are over.

#30 Chris_Cannonmk4

Chris_Cannonmk4

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Haverhill, Suffolk

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

BIG NEWS!!!

Money has been spent!

Before you get too excited...

A nice big bill as I had cambelt and water pump replaced and major service carried out. There nothing in the service history to say the cambelt has ever been done and looks like it hasn't been serviced in about 3 years so was definitely in need I think.

Will hopefully give fitting the vents a go soon. And I might actually spend some money on something interesting :)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.