#31 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Fitted new alpine head unit with Bluetooth hands free. Ran the mic up to the grill in the light for an eom+ style install :-) sounds great and nice not to have wires trailing everywhere! Used a pre made loom so if I ever need to go back to oem I can just un plug and refit.

temporary_zps8054aee2.jpg

temporary_zpsad64e2db.jpg

temporary_zps38228b7d.jpg

temporary_zpsfdd542c5.jpg

• elektrikbanana and VTubby TDi like this

#32 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

temporary_zps4506565b.jpg
Fitted a detachable towbar.

WP_20150314_003_zpsngvelqze.jpg

Car been running faultlessly although is extremely dirty at the moment after a trip through wales.

Its also missing most of its interior at the moment, why? Well because racecar!! Well because I am cleaning of the horrible soft touch sticky rubber so it can be painted with a matt platsic paint. Done a test piece already and finish is perfect, looks just as if it was brand new and should last far longer than the oem rubberised finish

#33 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

Few minor mods.

Fitted chrome surrounds to the dials, and also retro fitted a low washer warning sensor as I was fed up of being victim to vw being too tight to give me 2 wires! Admittedly it took 2 attempts after following a pre 2002 wiring diagram first time around! :facepalm:

temporary_zps89df2df0.jpg

Also had MOT which it flew through no problems with a clean sheet. I did change track rod ends the night before in the snow which was fun especially with the fight the passenger side put up!

temporary_zpsa7d9de30.jpg

Surely shes got to be a worthy candidate for the dirty bum thread! rocking a steely as well!

WP_20150208_002_zps9tybiaoz.jpg

Finally the interior is still in bits but nearly ready to go back in all clean and looking better than new :-)

#34 andy_v

andy_v

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

very well done, :D  looks very nice.i considered getting a tdi, but don,t do enough miles.

#35 cenobytez

cenobytez

You ain't seen me, right?

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3778 posts
  • mansfield / Stapleford
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

its the little mods that make a difference, keep on the good work

• VTubby TDi likes this

New - mkV TDI MATCH, RCD510   GONE - Genuine R32 Front + Rear Bumpers | Full miltek resonated R32 style exhaust with large bore decat downpipe

#36 MrLee

MrLee

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV Estate SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Coming on good there mate! 👍 can't argue with the economy from an old tdi I love mine!
D'ya mind me asking what Awesome charged for cruise control?
Cheers

wagonukmk4_zpsjwjstzqy.jpg

#37 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Coming on good there mate! can't argue with the economy from an old tdi I love mine!
Cheers

http://www.awesomegt...tted-golf-4-etc

If you can though id do it yourself, the install is dead easy and the only reason i had awesome do it was that at the time i didnt have the full VCDS. I never take my cars to garages! In fairness though I cant argue with the service.

#38 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

Great thread, love reading about true diy on daily drivers.

Looking forward to seeing how the interior bits turn out.

Is the detatchable tow bar a heavy piece of kit? Ive considered one in the past just for a tow bar bike carrier but never got round to it.

Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#39 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Great thread, love reading about true diy on daily drivers.

Looking forward to seeing how the interior bits turn out.

Is the detatchable tow bar a heavy piece of kit? Ive considered one in the past just for a tow bar bike carrier but never got round to it.

Thanks! yes the tow bar is heavy! cant remember the weight stated but 50kg springs to mind? you certainly dont need to worry about being rear ended with it fitted though!

#40 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

fitted a proper boot panel with the door (mine used to just have the strap).

temporary_zps176dc96e.jpg

Also had the golf in 'van mode' to go on a parts mission to pick up this:

temporary_zpsd227371a.jpg

Full S3 front suspension set up. will be refurbing all parts and replacing bushes and bearings before fitting :-)

• VTubby TDi likes this

#41 Thai-wronghorse

Thai-wronghorse

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Following...

#42 Mk4Matt12

Mk4Matt12

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Plymouth
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

Coming on good there mate! can't argue with the economy from an old tdi I love mine!
Cheers

+1 for this - Interested in how much the cruise control set you back?

Good work with the 70 odd MPG - I'm getting high 50's-60 in my 1.9 110! 

Car's coming on nicely :) 

#43 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:42 PM

Interior is now pretty much done. few small bits to finish but looks like a car again! Always for get to get decent work pics and this is no exception! will get some finished shots when I remember.

Also fitted a twin USB socket under the centre console to free up the 12V socket when charging phones. It also has blue lights which gives a nice glow at night.

WP_20150415_031_zpsmecdfqbz.jpg

WP_20150415_007_zpslwz4mod0.jpg

Finally the glove box has been rewired to be permanent live so it works without the keys. Daft design that! I pretty much only ever go in there when the cars switched off!

• VTubby TDi likes this

#44 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

WP_20150419_002_zpsrbl5bzql.jpg

Got a set of genuine bbs CH002s :-) Very happy with them. I had been hoping to get the suspension sorted before the big wheels but i had run out of tread on the standards so thought it would be a good time to upgrade.

• VTubby TDi likes this

#45 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

Im liking your twin USB mod.  

Small and neat.  Much better than the round ones and having the adapter sticking out the cigarette lighter socket.  Where did you get that from, and it is just linked into the cigarette lighter feed?

Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#46 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

You have done some nice mods since you got this car .... they make a difference.

The S3 setup will make driving it much more fun in the corners .... i have it all on my pd150 and difference compared to standard is night and day.

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#47 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Im liking your twin USB mod.  

Small and neat.  Much better than the round ones and having the adapter sticking out the cigarette lighter socket.  Where did you get that from, and it is just linked into the cigarette lighter feed?

Its had a new feed taken straight from the under dash power distribution board. I wanted this to be switched live not permanent like the socket.

http://www.ebay.co.u...w-/371303665394

On the pic you can see the clips are quite long so I had to make tabs behind the trim panel so it clipped in properly.

You have done some nice mods since you got this car .... they make a difference.

The S3 setup will make driving it much more fun in the corners .... i have it all on my pd150 and difference compared to standard is night and day.

Thanks very much! not bad considering this is my sensible daily which was not to be messed with! Very much looking forward to getting the suspension sorted. If im honest she really is starting to how her age in the way she drives!

Just brought a set of 312mm brakes for the front which will be refurbed and given a nice lick of paint

• VTubby TDi likes this

#48 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

Few minor updates.

fitted beetle sport style metal door pins.

WP_20150509_001_zpsr5w1bm0b.jpg

Also pic of rear ashtray/cupholder.

WP_20150509_003_zpsdcgelms5.jpg

And pic of paint finish on interior panels. Not got full pics of interior yet as its dirty again now!

WP_20150509_018_zps1iqxrwml.jpg

And finally pic of water beading on newly waxed wheels!

InstagramCapture_3253764e-385b-4e06-9737

#49 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

Changed drive shaft in the hope of getting rid of a fairly severe vibration over 50 mph only 1 ever turned up as drivers side out of stock so problem still not solved. :-(

Few pics of interior:

temporary_zpsaugllbwc.jpg

Glove box

temporary_zpsqspxhdxy.jpg

Still working on the S3 upgrade. Finances a bit tight so limited to cleaning up and wire brushing ready for some fresh POR15 paint at the moment.

• Franko180 and VTubby TDi like this

#50 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

temporary_zpshkn7xwvs.jpg

Spot the missing piece!!

The other drive shaft finally turned up so fitted this evening. Vibration and wobble over 50mph completely gone :-) Bad news is I can now feel how worn my rack and offside tierod is and the tracking which was done a month ago is now off again :-/!!

Ive used the cheapy J&R shafts for now and there is a minor resonance from the engine about 3500 RPM. I don't mind this too much as it is minor I will get some genuine shafts or rebuild the worn shafts once the rest of the suspension is sorted.

• VTubby TDi likes this

#51 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

been cracking on with the suspension work. hoping to have it ready to fit end of September time. Picked up a seat leon cupra rear axle which has the thicker rear arb and been striping that down ready for a lick of paint along with new bearings, bushes and vented rear brakes:

temporary_zpsl7wq80ta.jpg

One bearing came of no problem the other put up a fight. Nothing half an hour with an angle grinder couldn't fix!

temporary_zpsbsex6l13.jpg

Also stripped down the s3 front subframe. been wire brushing the hubs and control arms ready to paint which should be happening later today.

#52 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:07 AM

Not much to update! been busy working on my classic mini suspension and engine refresh and a recently acquired v6 4 motion which has a few jobs that need doing. Suspension swap work has progressed slowly. Leon cupra rear axle has been fully stripped down ready to be taken back to bare metal and painted, rear vented brakes have been brought and had the first coat of red paint and the front control arms and hubs have been fully stripped back to bare metal and painted.

Also brought a PD130/150 intake manifold which has been cleaned up and fited with an EGR delete. This should go on next week once ive got a new gasket. Will swap vac lines at the same time and do the vac simplification since there will no longer be an egr worry about! EGR is already mapped out so no problems there. not expecting any gains from the manifold just a bit more future proof!

temporary_zpsth5nspbx.jpg

#53 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Still watching the good progress here.
I've noticed you have heated seats too have you had any problems with them or are they all good?
Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

#54 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

Still watching the good progress here.
I've noticed you have heated seats too have you had any problems with them or are they all good?

Thanks! Heated seats are great, no problems at all. on a cold winters morning when you need to scrape the car theres nothing better than to get in to a warm seat!

#55 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

Still working on the S3 upgrade. Finances a bit tight so limited to cleaning up and wire brushing ready for some fresh POR15 paint at the moment.

Finally! Someone using paint that will actually have a chance of staying on the metal. I've seen lots of people on forums slapping Hammerite onto things, but its a fail. It's great on static objects such as a metal gate, but I've tried it on wishbones and it's too brittle, it just chipped off eventually on the leading edges, the wishbones I painted with Hammerite looked **** after a while. Not only that, but people also use Hammerite on brake calipers, but it melts off very easily with brake fluid lol. Nice work on the build, keep it up.

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#56 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

Finally! Someone using paint that will actually have a chance of staying on the metal. I've seen lots of people on forums slapping Hammerite onto things, but its a fail. It's great on static objects such as a metal gate, but I've tried it on wishbones and it's too brittle, it just chipped off eventually on the leading edges, the wishbones I painted with Hammerite looked **** after a while. Not only that, but people also use Hammerite on brake calipers, but it melts off very easily with brake fluid lol. Nice work on the build, keep it up.

Thanks! So far im a big fan of the por15, just follow the advice to wear gloves! took a week to get it of my hands! as the owner of a classic mini and having an R reg fiesta in the family im rather paranoid about rust so everything possible is being stripped back to shiny metal before getting drowned with paint! I tried hammerite once, may as well have run it under the tap!

#57 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

PD130/150 intake manifold and egr delete has been fitted, Turbo has been mr muscled and EGR simplification performed:

temporary_zpsokfcjvqh.jpg

Old manifold removed and turbo soaking

temporary_zpsg4ljuv2v.jpg

Vac hoses changed and simplified

temporary_zpsyszaem6z.jpg

finished!

temporary_zpscyzpmv1p.jpg

The breather hose is also rubbing on the intake manifold so I need to adjust that some how.

#58 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

Been doing a bit of work on a recently brought v6 4 motion, technically its my mums car but ive got my eye on it and will be looking after it as if it were my own!

It needs new timing chains as its throwing a fault for cams out of tolerance. this is probably the biggest job of done on a car to date and every one ive spoken to about it has laughed and wished me luck! But what better way to learn!

Here it is jacked up ready to start.

WP_20151015_12_27_32_Pro_zpshjc0p92x.jpg

Airbox and battery removed and gear selector disconnected.

temporary_zpst4ayusj4.jpg

Front end off. left condenser connected as I didn't want to release the refrigerant and it had enough movement anyway.

temporary_zpsihx88rzg.jpg

Gear box out. What a job that was! theres no clearance on  4 mos! I had to drop the subframe as well which I was hoping to avoid.

temporary_zpsfxy427iu.jpg

temporary_zpseoie8hhp.jpg

clutch and flywheel off.

temporary_zpsx5cpxthh.jpg

manifold off.

temporary_zpsjpacphw4.jpg

Cam cover off.

temporary_zpsz87bhlgk.jpg

Timing covers off.

temporary_zpsvnexho9t.jpg

Cam adjuster and top chain off.

temporary_zpsdgc3x8nl.jpg

Bottom chain, guides and tensioner installed

temporary_zpsssgzfnpk.jpg

Top chain and guides installed.

temporary_zpsxgqzywdf.jpg

And that's where its at now. Ive turned the engine over by hand and checked and rechecked the timing marks and all looks good. need to get some sealant and the covers can go back on tomorrow but then waiting for a few gaskets from VW which should be on Wednesday. also got a bolt snapped In the steering rack so will need to drill that out ready for some new bolts, which should be fun!

• Campervan_Andy likes this

#59 Campervan_Andy

Campervan_Andy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Berkshire/Lincolnshire
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

Well done dude

• Rob136 likes this

If there is anything you do in this life, then its to have fun and be yourself.

#60 Diesel

Diesel

Mk4 for 13 years

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Christ,

Open heart surgery on the driveway.

Im impressed, well done to you.  

This would certainly not be for me...

Golf TDI 130
Qashqai 1.6 n-tec

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.