#61 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

v6 all finished and running very well :-) nerve racking first fire up but all well and good. need to give it an oil change now as well as a haldex service and a few suspension bits (topmounts, ball joint dust covers). Thinking of doing the TT which bone and hub conversion as well as the bushes arnt looking too good so why not kill two birds with one stone.

#62 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

About time I updated this! the v6 has been running lovely, few jobs to do such as fix the common radiator fans issue, also fitted super pro diesel bushes to the dogbone mount and which has made a huge difference to the engine movement with absolutely no difference to vibration, so much so I may trial fit them to the tdi to try out. The V6 also now has tt/r32 whichbones and will shortly have the matching hubs as well.

The TDI has MOT due at the end of the month and I will finally be finishing the suspension upgrades before then! All parts needed have now been acquired and are in process of being refurbish/assembled/painted or are on order.

I have also fixed a boost fault which turned out to be my mistake of connecting the n75 to the egr actuator harness after the vac simplification! :facepalm: It now has PD150 intake pipework and airbox in preparation for power mods of the future.

And finally the silicone vac lines have been changed from blue to red! I will get pics at some point when its light.

#63 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Just caught up with your thread, you did well to get that chain job done at home, saved a lot of £ there  :Y:

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#64 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

lots of exciting things are starting to happen! MOT due end of this week so final parts are arriving and painting is being finished of ready to assemble over the next week or so.

These arrived today :-)

temporary_zpsjywhcgh2.jpg

The cupra rear axle and the S3 front subframe have been dropped of today for powder coating in black which should be done by Friday. I was going to paint these but the amount of wire brushes I would have got through plus time and paint its not much more to get them blasted and powder coated.

The which bones are painted and now have superpro front bushes although I still need to fit the TT rear bushes.

temporary_zpsnpunoahu.jpg

It had 2 goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 2s earlier this month and 2 asymmetric 3s this weekend so should be a lovely drive when finished!

#65 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Just caught up with your thread, you did well to get that chain job done at home, saved a lot of £ there  :Y:

It was either I do it or scrap/sell the car with a warning light! Garages either didn't want to know or wanted 3k+

besides what better way to learn and get to know a car than to rip it apart!

#66 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

Gave the car its 140k service this evening. Also managed to get a pic of red vac lines and pd10/150 intake pipework.
temporary_zpsefes700f.jpg

#67 dizzy_PD

dizzy_PD

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Painting and powder coating is a good idea.. I'm planning to do the wishbone/hub conversion too soon..
Is powder coating now a cheapish solution?
Have you thought of putting in defcon/cookbot inserts so you can run the old style tt front bush?

#68 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Painting and powder coating is a good idea.. I'm planning to do the wishbone/hub conversion too soon..
Is powder coating now a cheapish solution?
Have you thought of putting in defcon/cookbot inserts so you can run the old style tt front bush?

front subframe and rear axle were £60 blasted and coated in black.

I decided to go down super pro poly route rather than the early tt bush. I cant imagine there would be much difference on the road really.

#69 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

Rear axle brackets, rear stub axle, S3 subframe brace, Anti roll bar mounts all fully wire brushed back to bare metal ready for paint. rear bubs are new and will also be getting a lick of paint.

temporary_zpszvgbjbjg.jpg

Rear dampers assembled:

temporary_zpsti9bgnx9.jpg

Front struts assembled with Cupra R top mounts.

Springs compressed:

URL=http://s806.photobuc...r1neoj.jpg.html]temporary_zps9zr1neoj.jpg[/URL]

Spring cap and bearing installedtemporary_zpsetu2r6pi.jpg

Top mount installed. temporary_zpsuzmwnk3l.jpg

tightened:Vtemporary_zpsvdq38uba.jpg

4x suspensions finished :-)temporary_zps6jtxebxj.jpg

#70 GT130PD

GT130PD

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Port toilet
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Good read on this, I've deleted the EGR and would like to know where to link up the 2 pipes that are from the EGR?

#71 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9388 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Nice work  :Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#72 ct.p

ct.p

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Great work.

#73 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

Work has been progressing:

Freshly painted S3 brace fitted along with S3 anti roll bar with superpro bushes.

temporary_zpsxqpi0kzt.jpg

Powerflex subframe bushes and whishbones fitted with super pro front bushes and OEM TT/R32 t the rear.

temporary_zps0nyueena.jpg

Rear callipers and carriers painted. Before:

temporary_zpsldeacbhs.jpg

temporary_zpsg4kbmlfe.jpg

After:

temporary_zpsc6enpprr.jpg

temporary_zpstz5h2i8r.jpg

#74 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

Good read on this, I've deleted the EGR and would like to know where to link up the 2 pipes that are from the EGR?

I have simplified my  vac lines so they don't exist anymore. This link guides you through the process:https://uk-mkivs.net/...9-valve-delete/

#75 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

Rear hubs painted and abs pickup ring fitted:

temporary_zpspdx2whtl.jpg

Front hub carriers and 312mm brake carriers nearly finished wire brushing ready for paint. Once painted the hub carriers will be taken down to my local garage to get new bearings pressed and the existing hubs pressed in.

temporary_zps5dypawtv.jpg

• Brumbeef likes this

#76 tomfleet96

tomfleet96

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Golf IV 1.4 16v AXP 75PS

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

great build here mate, and a lovely looking interior. what did you use to colour code your rub strips? 

23383502012_4a1436d17f_m.jpg

My 'Oettinger' Golf MK4 Build Thread

#77 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

And just to prove I still have a car rather than a collection of parts, here she is looking filthy and earning shiny parts! (I wouldn't advise towing this sort of weight regularly or long distance!)

WP_20160109_13_01_09_Pro_zpsx8q4nkei.jpg

#78 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

great build here mate, and a lovely looking interior. what did you use to colour code your rub strips? 

Thanks! They were painted at the same time as the front bumper and bonnet that were covered in stone chips at the bodyshop worked at.

#79 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Looking good - always enjoy seeing freshly painted parts ready to go!

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#80 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Looking good - always enjoy seeing freshly painted parts ready to go!

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#81 ct.p

ct.p

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

Top tip...

Get the bearings changed in the knuckles before you paint them. No risk of damaging the paint that way.

#82 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

Had a day off today to get the rear beam built and fitted. Went nearly to plan!

Super pro bushes fitted.

temporary_zps1ohkd5vy.jpg

Stub axle and disc shield fitted.

temporary_zps7vxn2h7f.jpg

Hub fitted

temporary_zpsw95qg2fk.jpg

Disc and calliper carrier fitted.

temporary_zpsdxewgsnv.jpg

ABS sensor fitted.

temporary_zpsii7vkjx8.jpg

Axle mounting brackets fitted.

temporary_zpswqzccqva.jpg

Braided and solid brake lines fitted.

temporary_zps5m1htvcd.jpg

At this point the axle was ready to go so I went to get the old axle removed.

temporary_zpsqxtwtyro.jpg

All went fairly smoothly until I came to disconnect the brake lines between the car and the axle. The unions were seized and no matter how much plus gas was applied or how gentle I was they were not moving without twisting the pipe. So cut them off and 2 new front to rear brake pipes should be at my local TPS on Saturday.

For now the old axle has been bolted loosely back on so the car can be moved as it will need to come off again to fit the new brake lines (along with the fuel tank as well I think). With no spring in though it does sit nice at the back!

temporary_zpszluznim1.jpg

#83 ct.p

ct.p

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

I had this with the brake lines.

You can get away with part dropping the tank.

A good opportunity to give the tank straps a refresh!

As for the lines, don't use copper, use copper nickel pipe instead. Running them front to back is very easy as well. 

#84 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

I had this with the brake lines.

You can get away with part dropping the tank.

A good opportunity to give the tank straps a refresh!

As for the lines, don't use copper, use copper nickel pipe instead. Running them front to back is very easy as well. 

Yes, My intention was to lower the tank then keep going till I can get it hopefully without needing to disconnect everything. Ive ordered VW ones so they will meet spec and should be preshaped. (think they use steel or steel alloy of some kind dont they?)

#85 ct.p

ct.p

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

Blimey, how much did they cost?

If they are pre-made you might need to remove the tank completely.

#86 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Well been busy over the last few days having a second go to fit the rear axle:

Car back in the air, old axle, exhaust, and fuel tank off.

temporary_zpspkirzrga.jpg

New front to rear brake lines on.

temporary_zpsufkcluo7.jpg

Rear damper fitted.

temporary_zpsl3stbbty.jpg

Fuel tank back on with new stainless steel straps (going one better than painting!!).

temporary_zpsfrj4ospx.jpg

Rear axle fitted.

temporary_zpsgiop8fab.jpg

temporary_zpsa0hnpwm4.jpg

• NooNoo and doddy666 like this

#87 ct.p

ct.p

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3954 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

Nice work.

Those tank straps, where from, how much ?

#88 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

Nice work.

Those tank straps, where from, how much ?

They were £30 from a seller through ebay. I was going to post a link but the listing has gone now so they might have been a limited production run. theres some in Germany that look to be pretty much the same but they are twice the price.

#89 LR5V

LR5V

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

great work on rebuilding the entire suspension and brakes.

worryingly I only have to get x2 ball joints and then I will only have bad weather and the other half as an excuse not to crack on...

I've got to do my F-R brake pipes too, did you use genuine pipes?

- not looking forward to taking the tank out -any advice?

I got a similar looking set of stainless straps on my mk3, hardest part was wrestling them into shape

• Brumbeef likes this

#90 LR5V

LR5V

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

They were £30 from a seller through ebay. I was going to post a link but the listing has gone now so they might have been a limited production run. theres some in Germany that look to be pretty much the same but they are twice the price.

Can you post the sellers name - its not vwgregory2009 by any chance?

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.