"g3 Ocd" 2003 Mk4 Jetta / Bora - *New Car... Goodbye Bora* - Members Rides - uk-mkivs

Photo

"g3 Ocd" 2003 Mk4 Jetta / Bora - *New Car... Goodbye Bora*

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall
  • Bora Sport 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Ok, here goes.

My previous car was my Mk3 Gti that I converter to a VR6, truth be told I put a lot into the car taking from standard to a semi smooth bay’d VR with custom coilover setup and Autostrada Modena 16 inch splits I rebuilt. All the work and graft on the car had been completed by me and friends so I had a lot of heart in the car.

The car made Edition38 2013 but unfortunately not long after had a HG failure; this combined with a few other issues meant I decided to return the car to standard and sell on. Gareth Spiller got this shot of the car from Edition38.

0.jpg

Build Thread

http://www.edition38...c=473308&page=1

So with the demise of the VR6 I was debating what I was going to go for, I’d been involved with about 5 Mk3’s over the years and fancied a change, I really missed a particular car I owned, a 20vt Seat Ibiza FR.

I contemplated various 20vt equipped cars and eventually decided rather than go down the Cupra route I’d look for a Bora 20vt having been tempted before by a few Tdi’s. After a bit of searching I found my car about an hours drive away, I went and had a look armed with cash and completed the deal to collect the care the next weekend.

The spec of the car is as follows.

2003 Volkswagen Bora Sport 1.8 20v Turbo (180) 6spd

110,000miles

Completely bog standard

Brand new MOT, 6 months tax upon purchase

Full service history

2 Keyfobs

Reflex Silver, paintwork in great condition for the age and miles!

Climate Control and Cruise control

Standard cloth sport seats

Armed with the remaining 2,000 to pay on top of my deposit I collected the car on September 21st 2013 and brought it back home.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I drove the car around a few weeks just enjoying being on the road again, and taking advantage of not smashing my subframe up :lol: The only modification being completed during that time was a simple debadge of the bootlid

3.jpg

After purchase of the car I sent off to have my private registration swapped from the VR6 to the Bora. As soon as the paperwork was received needless to say I threw on my plates from the VR to the Bora.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Also gave the car a decent clean up whilst I was at it.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Now from the day of purchase I was scanning ebay and various online sites for a purchase of coilovers, however I then spotted Fat Joe’s Jetta was breaking for parts, a few facebook messages between us and I had agree a purchase of his coilovers, eibach camber top mounts, and a full set of tailored floor mats for the car.

The day after I purchased the coilovers from Joe I dropped the car to my friends unit and we got fitting. No major lowering for the moment whilst the cars on standard wheels, not really much point as I’ll just kill tyres and put that dreaded ali sump closer to the floor, may aswell leave it a sensible height for the minute, this will however change in future.

I also decided to lose the front anti rollbar in the process, I may fit a TT rollbar in the future when I swap over to TT hubs etc.

925.jpg

95.jpg

Another thing that severely bothered me about the car is Volkswagens idea of an interior wood effect trim… I popped a visit to my friend who runs a vinyl company, he gave me some carbon effect wrap to throw on, I am going to replace this in future, probably with a factory matt black or something, but for the moment fake carbon is a whole let better than fake wood!

I also threw on my suede gear gaiter and plastic Mk4 gear knob from the VR6.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• damianmkv likes this

#2 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Now this is the point where things start to get a little more interesting. I was starting to get an idea of the direction I wanted the car to take, I’m a huge fan of the US spec look therefore I decided to get on the phone to my local Volkswagen dealer and order up a US spec rubstrip for the front bumper along with amber side markers.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I gave these a mock up fit onto the car to see how it was going to work out, I removed again straight afterwards and refitted the old strip until the car goes for paint.

17.jpg

18.jpg

Around the same time, and following the purchased of coilovers, I was chatting to Joe about his US bootlid fitted to his car he was breaking, he basically offered me a price I couldn’t refuse, especially with the prices these bootlids are going for through Orchid Euro.

I met up locally with Joe and purchased both his Jetta bootlid, and a full set of Pwrhaus 1.8t boost hoses and turbo intake pipe.

19.jpg

I also purchased some brand new clips for the hoses, and a second hand Forge 007p diverter valve that I stripped, serviced, and fitted with a green spring to replace the yellow spring it came with as the car is not mapped.

20.jpg

21.jpg

I set about fitting the boost hoses and the Forge 007p and my air filter robbed from the VR6, got everything fitted up no problem, will besides the TIP being a complete PITA getting it securely fitted to the turbo. Decided whilst doing this engine work I’d also do a N249 bypass, carbon canister delete, and SAI delete using a Forge SAI blank from my previous Ibiza 1.8t.

Did however find a fairly horrific boost leak fro the inlet manifold to the PCV system!

22.jpg

But none the less got everything sorted and back together, the bay will be seeing a lot more attention in the near future as it’s a bit of a mess!

23.jpg

After doing a lot of research I decided I would attempt to restore the headlights, I’ve seen much worse but mind seemed to have a slightly yellow tinge and very minor clouding. By starting off with 2500 wet and dry paper then following up with compound and Meguiars Plastx on a small drill mounted buffing they came up crystal clear, it definitely sharpened up the front end of the car.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

At around this time I had a few days off work, and whilst restoring the headlights I had debated the idea of the “twindicator” mod. I decided I’d get stuck in using a spare set of headlights that I purchased and stripped. At this point my bedroom was starting to look like a parts depot. :lol:

28.jpg

#3 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

I managed to remove my standard foglights from the headlights and fixed the spare indicators into the headlight assembly after giving them a light paint on the inside of the lens.

29.jpg

30.jpg

You will notice the bottom lens isn’t aligned as the top is, this was the best I could manage with what I had and whilst keeping this bottom indicator unit functioning with the top. It really isn’t noticeable at all with the headlights assembled and fitted to the car.

Whilst in the process of this my US sized 12x6 number plate arrived

33.jpg

Got the headlights fitted up, I wired the lower indicator unit straight to the top; this was a slight gamble as I wasn’t sure if it would work out, however it did.

34.jpg

Decided to celebrate the occasion by giving the car the detail of its life, inside and out nothing was missed. I really am very happy with how the paintwork on this car comes up, there’s only a tiny minority of things that need attention, and overall it’s excellent.

If only scratch and sniff worked online, this stuff smells seriously good.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

This is a much better picture of the twindicated lights fitted back to the car with the lenses restored and the car fully detailed.

42.jpg

Now for the latest change and frankly, my favorite.

I sent the car off to the bodyshop with a few jobs to be completed. The Jetta bootlid painting and fitting, the front bumper fully repainted with US rubstrip painted and fitted, and a chassis notch.

My reason for notching the car at this point was simple, this bodyshop notched my Mk3, and they did a wonderful job of it so it made sense whilst the car was with them do this job that will need doing in the future, it will now be one thing I don’t need to worry about.

The day of me collecting the car Ant who runs the bodyshop sent me over a couple of photos of the bodywork completed.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

#4 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

That night I went and collected the car. I am beyond words for the quality of the work they’ve done, I asked them to take their time with it as I really cared about the finish, and I was not disappointed at all.

I also got the wheel off and had a look at the notch, yet again a really well done notch and extremely well welded.

I gave the car a basic wash and dry yesterday and got a couple of pictures of it’s current state with my plate fitted on the rear, I’m currently trying to get a small bracked for the front fabricated that will be easily removable for shows etc.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

And that is the car as of today!

Future plans include wheels in the New Year, probably some form of 18 inch 2 or 3 piece split, up the power to stage 2, get the car on the floor static and then we will see I guess!!

Hope you all enjoyed the read (or just enjoyed looking at the pictures :lol: ) and please feel free to leave any comments or feedback on the car that you wish. Peace out!

Geo. :)

#5 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Very clean, welcome to the Reflex Silver Bora Club!

Edit: Ahhh you're the lad on the Bora group on facebook i commented on!

#6 cross211

cross211

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Leeds
  • Bora Sport 2.0 8v 115PS

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Looks very nice mate  :wub:

28c7139e-96b5-43ed-837c-80d6dfbd20ca_zps

Bora R-line Build Thread

#7 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Guys :)

Once I got the car back and the US markers in I got them all wired up, running them wired up to the sidelights to try and keep it OEM, hated it at first but it's really growing on me!

50-2.jpg

Also sorted myself a little plate bracket for the front tather than running the plate in the window, should keep the Police a little happier! I've mounted it to the grille rather than the bumper for ease of removal, then just check my other grille in for shows :)

51-2.jpg

And finally I've deposit down on wheels, more info to come on that once they are fully paid off and in my hands happy.png

Geo.

#8 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Nice work dude.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#9 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

very nice, I'll be checking back to see what wheels you stick on :P

#10 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Looks great :)
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#11 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10648 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Great work! :)

#12 Trevorb33

Trevorb33

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Love the boot lid I really want a us spec one too :)
Driving a v6 4motion bora

#13 JazzyJust

JazzyJust

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Kent - Tunbridge Wells
  • Bora ST 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Very nice mate.

Loving the US spec look.

How much was the US spec rubstrip?

What's next on the list?

[Sig removed - please see forum rules regarding advertising]

#14 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Cheers for the responses all :)

The rubstrip along with markers aswell was around £94 from Volkswagen, expect to pay another 20-30 on top for the looms, but I had some already.

Next up will be wheels, should have them with me around New Year, but they won't be going straight on... :)

#15 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Congratulations mate, you made build thread of the week on the Facebook page! Just seen it :)

https://www.facebook.com/ukmkivs

#16 alex-atari

alex-atari

Techno Viking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9784 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Congrats on the above - I like where this build is going!

#17 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Aye seen it pop up on Facebook grats

#18 Carruthers89

Carruthers89

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Bora SE 1.6 16v AUS 105PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

really nice work mate going us spec myself so was wondering was it the bora us bump strip you ordered from vw 

#19 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Jeez! Chuffed!

I really haven't done that much :lol:

The rubstrip I ordered was the same P/N as the Golf rubstrip and went on without a problem, in the US strips Golf and Bora are the same :)

#20 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10648 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Congrats, love the twindicators and US boot lid! :Y:

#21 Carruthers89

Carruthers89

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Bora SE 1.6 16v AUS 105PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

thanks may just be giving vw a call the now lol but its not quantity of work its the quality lol small things make big differences 

sorry to be a pest but where did you get your acrylic us sized plates lol 

#22 CrackTaxi

CrackTaxi

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • North Wales
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Looking very good! Loving the OCD registration plate. Keep it up :)

#23 cosmic_spen

cosmic_spen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • bradford-newcastle
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AGR 90PS

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

pwhoaaarr, loving the us spec details

#24 4doorgti

4doorgti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cheshire
  • MKI Models

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

Great work!! Coming along nicely

#25 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

547544_10152192069407650_1308674346_n.jp

Wheels land tomorrow... My New Year will be a happy one :wub:

#26 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Oh 18 inch rims??

#27 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Looking good dude, nice to see people doing the US thing. Your headlights came up really nice, I'll have to redo mine properly I think now!

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#28 geo7087

geo7087

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • St Austell, Cornwall

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Right. New Wheels!

Now I first spotted these on the classifieds on Edition38 quite some time ago and took great interest, I contacted Rob (Robo22sri on Edition) and got into discussion about taking them off his hands, I put down a deposit for them, got the rest of the money paid up about 2 weeks later, and as per our arrangement he kindly agreed to get them couriered to my house for me.

So, today New years eve 2013 I get a text from mother almighty at home whilst I'm at work. "You're wheels have arrived!"

Got home and this is what I found, Honestly these could not have been packaged any better, was seriously impressed! 

IMAG1434.jpg

Some seriously clean never split fully original wheels :wub:

IMAG1454.jpg

An arty farty shot for the Facebook and Instagram crowd :lol:

IMAG1440.jpg

And here they are! :wub:

IMAG1449.jpg

Ok, the spec!

RH ZW3, 2pc Split rim construction with removable dishes. 38 Hole.

5x112

18x8 et65

18x8.5 et59
Never split, original sealant, Extremely good condition.

I am extremely happy with these! They will be rebuilt to 8.5 and 9.5 with the 8's dishes being binned for a set of 2 3/4 inch dishes from Germany, the dishes will be polished, and the centre/barrel repainted in I have no idea what colour :lol:

The idea is to build these to a high spec, mainly at home if possible, and get a close to arch to rim fitment static and get the ride height as low as possible. Splitting has already started :D

Geo

#29 alex-atari

alex-atari

Techno Viking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9784 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

ooof! Lovely

#30 JasonB

JasonB

Fritzel Basement Development LTD

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • London Heathrow
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Love those wheels :)

11239149524_edaf875c7e.jpg

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.