22 replies to this topic

#1 RichardT

RichardT

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

When I first heard about the Mk7 Golf, I was concerned about the electric handbrake, never having used one before and also seeing reports of problems with them on other vehicles.

Would like to hear from Mk7 owners their views on it - any problems, or does it just work fine?

Thanks.

#2 Charlieboyoo

Charlieboyoo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I havent used it myself,but I know that audis have had it for years.Heard a few reports but I know a few guys with it in their audis and they have had no problems.one of them is a 2006 car and no bad word about it.

#3 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Worked fine for me on my test drive, as did the hill hold thingy - a real treat.

I trust the early issues with the hand rakes have been sorted
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#4 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Big issues comes with age - caliper failure due to water ingress is becomming quite a regular event on the early B6 Passats.  Tends to lock on :(

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#5 johanr77

johanr77

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

When I first heard about the Mk7 Golf, I was concerned about the electric handbrake, never having used one before and also seeing reports of problems with them on other vehicles.

Would like to hear from Mk7 owners their views on it - any problems, or does it just work fine?

Thanks.

Well it works okay I'll give you the good points and bad points

Good:

It does hold the car well, never any issues with creeping.

Auto hold works a treat (as long as you press the brake firmly when you stop)

Leaves plenty of space in the centre console

Bad:

Doesn't always disengage cleanly can cause the car to stutter

Can be an absolute paint to disengage when trying to park in a tight space

Doesn't engage auto hold if you take your seat belt off when you stop so car might not actually have handbrake on when you think it does.

All in all it works better than I expected it to but there are a few quibbles. In saying that you start to expect them and know when they will appear so adapt to them soon enough. I always leave the car in gear when parked though..............................just in case.

#6 Co4

Co4

see oh four

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Driven a few cars with leccy hand breaks
Audis - really nice
Volvo - ok
Vauxhall - danger worst idea ever
Ford - meh

Yet to test vw but if they're anything like Audi one they'll be ok

#7 Ryan1187

Ryan1187

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well it works okay I'll give you the good points and bad points

Good:

It does hold the car well, never any issues with creeping.

Auto hold works a treat (as long as you press the brake firmly when you stop)

Leaves plenty of space in the centre console

Bad:

Doesn't always disengage cleanly can cause the car to stutter

Can be an absolute paint to disengage when trying to park in a tight space

Doesn't engage auto hold if you take your seat belt off when you stop so car might not actually have handbrake on when you think it does.

All in all it works better than I expected it to but there are a few quibbles. In saying that you start to expect them and know when they will appear so adapt to them soon enough. I always leave the car in gear when parked though..............................just in case.

x2 on all of the above apart from;

My autohold works always works fine, brake only needs to be pressed very slightly when the car has stopped.

&

I never have any issues with it whilst trying to park.

#8 Neil Birkitt

Neil Birkitt

Just grazing

• Advertisers
  • 382 posts
  • Bedfordshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

A point that a lot of people miss about the electric (electronic, actually) parking brake (EPB) is that it is a very effective emergency brake...  unlike a conventional cable handbrake which will have trouble puling a car up at 10 mph, the EPB operates full braking on all four wheels and will pull the car up very powerfully from higher speeds ( I've only tried it from 40-50 mph... ) Now it's questionable whether that will ever really be necessary (some speculate about scenarios where the driver has a heart attack and the passenger has to stop the car etc.. ) But the big thing is to brief your passenger to keep well away from it when you are driving... idle fingers etc...  Imagine the scenario: Passenger thinks 'what does this thing do?' and tugs on the EPB lever while you're driving at 70 mph on the motorway...!

• richardmk4 likes this

Neil Birkitt

Editor, Volkswagen Driver magazine

[email protected]

#9 Tabs

Tabs

Derp!

• Administrators
  • 25430 posts
  • Liverpool
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

@Neil Birkitt Now that's something I didn't realise was built into the system! Good to know... from both points of view! :D

#10 RichardT

RichardT

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I think I need to get me a test drive in the new year.

#11 iDENTITi

iDENTITi

Shell's best customer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3227 posts
  • Cambridge
  • Golf IV V6 2motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Test drove a few cars lately, mk7 golf, mk3 Octavia, new seat leon..
I'm going to be honest here and say it really felt no different to a "normal" handbrake.
My driving style (holding it on the clutch at lights) obviously meant auto hold never came on, so I never noticed that either.

#12 speedbump

speedbump

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

the EPB operates full braking on all four wheels and will pull the car up very powerfully from higher speeds

The mk7's handbrake only brakes the rear wheels as a conventional one would, also if you do press it whilst driving it jolts the car and turns itself off. As a safety it is utter useless if the brakes fail or you forget to pump the pedal after fitting pads (oooops)

#13 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

Test drove a few cars lately, mk7 golf, mk3 Octavia, new seat leon..
I'm going to be honest here and say it really felt no different to a "normal" handbrake.
My driving style (holding it on the clutch at lights) obviously meant auto hold never came on, so I never noticed that either.

"Holding it on the clutch" whilst stationary, is one the worst bad driving habits you can have and will lead to premature failure of the clutch thrust bearing and other parts.I don't know how long you have been driving or how many cars you have owned but I would hate to be the garage or subsequent owner of your cars if you have been doing this all the time!

Did you remember your driving instructor condoning such activity?

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#14 iDENTITi

iDENTITi

Shell's best customer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3227 posts
  • Cambridge
  • Golf IV V6 2motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

"Holding it on the clutch" whilst stationary, is one the worst bad driving habits you can have and will lead to premature failure of the clutch thrust bearing and other parts.I don't know how long you have been driving or how many cars you have owned but I would hate to be the garage or subsequent owner of your cars if you have been doing this all the time!
Did you remember your driving instructor condoning such activity?

I know exactly what it does, and I used to do it in my learner car too!
I try not to in the new car, unless it's literally for a few seconds.

However... My hill hold control doesn't seem to work.
Ugh.

#15 Neil Birkitt

Neil Birkitt

Just grazing

• Advertisers
  • 382 posts
  • Bedfordshire

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

The mk7's handbrake only brakes the rear wheels as a conventional one would, also if you do press it whilst driving it jolts the car and turns itself off. As a safety it is utter useless if the brakes fail or you forget to pump the pedal after fitting pads (oooops)

Thanks for the correction Speedbump, as I was basing my comments on previous experience with EPB on Passat etc – I've driven Mk 7 but not tested the EBP in extremis in the same way...  It's interesting that they've changed the modus operandi again, maybe because of concerns about the all-wheel braking etc.. ?

Neil Birkitt

[email protected]

#16 turborob

turborob

occasional poster, frequent reader

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 576 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

I dont think there's much wrong with the electric handbrake really in the sense of usage if you get used to it, but I used it on a fairly short journey (in a mk7) so cant really say if it becomes an annoyance. It was fine in a tiguan I drove and in both vehicle's the auto hold/hill hold feature was ok, but i think it's a little marmite.

#17 Neil Birkitt

Neil Birkitt

Just grazing

• Advertisers
  • 382 posts
  • Bedfordshire

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the correction Speedbump, as I was basing my comments on previous experience with EPB on Passat etc – I've driven Mk 7 but not tested the EBP in extremis in the same way...  It's interesting that they've changed the modus operandi again, maybe because of concerns about the all-wheel braking etc.. ?

Interesting to add to this as I've since (recently) driven the Mk 7 Golf 1.6 TDI BlueMotion and a 1.4 SE Golf Estate and had a chance to experiment with the electric (electronic) handbrake and in both cases it behaved exactly as I'd originally described. Pull the flipper switch up and hold it and the brakes come on fully with immense retardation, enough to be considered full-on emergency braking. You have to keep the flipper switch held, of course, rather than just flick it, which is perhaps why Speedbump thought that it just jolts and turns itself off. I also can't see that this can be operating purely on the rear wheels. But, and I stress, that it's not something that you can really explore safely on public roads... use it only when you have to. I can assure you that, even from 60 or 70 mph, it operates extremely powerfully and will stand the car on its nose in no time at all... Be careful to keep a safe distance next time you follow a Mk 7 Golf..!  ;-)

Neil Birkitt

[email protected]

#18 Avanti

Avanti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

A point that a lot of people miss about the electric (electronic, actually) parking brake (EPB) is that it is a very effective emergency brake...  unlike a conventional cable handbrake which will have trouble puling a car up at 10 mph, the EPB operates full braking on all four wheels and will pull the car up very powerfully from higher speeds ( I've only tried it from 40-50 mph... ) Now it's questionable whether that will ever really be necessary (some speculate about scenarios where the driver has a heart attack and the passenger has to stop the car etc.. ) But the big thing is to brief your passenger to keep well away from it when you are driving... idle fingers etc...  Imagine the scenario: Passenger thinks 'what does this thing do?' and tugs on the EPB lever while you're driving at 70 mph on the motorway...!

Are you sure? I understand the EPB does not function above a set speed for safety reasons.

#19 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

Are you sure? I understand the EPB does not function above a set speed for safety reasons.

Similarly it does not work on the front wheels to the best of my knowledge.
Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#20 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

Mate at work was almost stranded by his brand new Passat CC last week.

Opened passenger door, put jacket on passenger seat. Closed door, but not quite.

Started car, release electronic parking brake, wouldn't move. MFD just kept saying "Release parking brake" as he tried to pull off.

The "door not closed" message was being supressed on the MFD by the 'higher priority' release brake message.

We were 30 seconds from calling the AA.

Just pure luck we went around the car and noticed the passenger door 4mm from closed.

Weird as the MFD didn't show the door being open at all.

:whistle:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#21 mattytdi

mattytdi

Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • -------

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

http://www.volkswage...c-parking-brake

Says rear brakes only.

City Emergency Braking is all four as per advert:

Mine: MKV R32 DSG - MKIV 115 GTTDI - MKIV 1.8GTI - MKV PD140 - MKV PD140 - MKV 2.0FSI - MKV 2.0 GTI
Family: MKIV 130 GTTDI (Mum's)
6N Polo (Brother's) - Polo 6R 1.4 DSG (Wife's)
Gone: MKIV 2.0 GTI - MKIV 1.8 GTI - MKIV 1.8T GTI - MKIV V5 170 - MKV 1.6FSI - Polo 1.0E - Touran 2.0 PD170 Sport DSG

#22 TWONK FEATURES

TWONK FEATURES

Royce

• Moderators
  • 6213 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Mate at work was almost stranded by his brand new Passat CC last week.

Opened passenger door, put jacket on passenger seat. Closed door, but not quite.

Started car, release electronic parking brake, wouldn't move. MFD just kept saying "Release parking brake" as he tried to pull off.

The "door not closed" message was being supressed on the MFD by the 'higher priority' release brake message.

We were 30 seconds from calling the AA.

Just pure luck we went around the car and noticed the passenger door 4mm from closed.

Weird as the MFD didn't show the door being open at all.

:whistle:

If its the same as hyundai, then hold your foot on the brake and it lets you manually release the electronic handbrake, it then would of shown you door ajar warning.

#23 Chrispduckk

Chrispduckk

Matured Maniac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2044 posts
  • Kent
  • Other Models

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

The electro handbrake is awesome - combined with DSG and ACC its like i drive using one finger and one foot ... can easily have a nap in the mean time!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.