What Are The 'essential' Options For A Gtd? - MkVII (MK7) Golf and Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

What Are The 'essential' Options For A Gtd?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hi guys, I think that I've decided that my next daily driver will be a Golf GTD, possibly a GTI as I only cover 6-10k miles per year.

I need a five door for the kids. I'm going to get a manual, the DSG is brilliant but my wife has an auto if I need to drive in town.

So I've decided that I will probably add the following:

- Rear side airbags

- Dynaudo

- Winter pack

and maybe metallic paint.

It will only be used for a short commute, driving my son to football training\matches, and occasionally my daughter to her classes.  I don't need NAV as I have a TOM TOM, and I have a hardcore care for fun\trackdays.

Is there anything else I should consider for the car?

Cheers in advance,

Ade

#2 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

i've gone for

Pure white, dynaudio, leather, pro nav and thats it

I was going to go for cloth, winter pack and a sunroof but discarded the roof and cloth in favour of leather meant that the winter pack went as well as I'd have been paying £200 for heated washer jets. I was also going for 19s but as I could test stuck with 18s as the test drive comfort was great.

I'm not sure if there's any "must haves" but i'm hopefully going to be happy with my choice

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#3 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Roof rack.
Air.
Stretch tyres.
Uk-mkivs sticker.
  • TWONK FEATURES likes this

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#4 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Cheers guys, glad there are no 'must haves'. I think I'll be happy with my choice, however ProjectMick has reminded me I'll need to get a new roof rack for my bikes.

#5 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Glad my stupid answer was of some use! (Thought I was on Edition for a minute.......ha ha)

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#6 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

If it's going to be used for "short commutes" I'd avoid a diesel all together. DPF filter is completely unsuited to repeated town driving...

If you can get Nav it's a better option as you always look like a pikey with a screen mounted tom tom and it's increasing future resale value.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#7 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

If it's going to be used for "short commutes" I'd avoid a diesel all together. DPF filter is completely unsuited to repeated town driving...

If you can get Nav it's a better option as you always look like a pikey with a screen mounted tom tom and it's increasing future resale value.

I've had a diesel 1.6 Mini Cooper for the last 2 years as my daily car, it's only used for a 6 mile round trip to work during the day, but it gets at least a couple of 25-30 minute blasts per week up and down the A3 and I've not had a DPF issue yet, I hoped the the Golf would be the same. Maybe I need to go for the Gti. I don't like factory sat nav as I've not yet had one that had better routing than a £200 TOMTOM, and in my experience factory Nav costs a fortune to fix when they go wrong (always just outside warranty!), and I've always been shocked at the update costs from dealers. I don't normally use the nav, so it's not often on the screen so hopefully I don't look like a pikey for most of the time :D

#8 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I had a GTI for a test drive, drove it hard (up to 130 on my mates driveway) and it returned 36.3 mpg according to the onboard computer. I doubt with a diesel for the kind of driving you're doing it would be beneficial.

A good friend of mine has a neighbor who works at VW and often has the latest and greatest dubs, he says the GTD and the GTI, he gets worse economy in the GTD for his driving!

Get the dynaudio for sure at least then and the bi xenons (if they're not standard!) if you're not going to get the Nav.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#9 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Xenons are standard for the GTD/GTi
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#10 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

I had a GTI for a test drive, drove it hard (up to 130 on my mates driveway) and it returned 36.3 mpg according to the onboard computer. I doubt with a diesel for the kind of driving you're doing it would be beneficial.

A good friend of mine has a neighbor who works at VW and often has the latest and greatest dubs, he says the GTD and the GTI, he gets worse economy in the GTD for his driving!

Get the dynaudio for sure at least then and the bi xenons (if they're not standard!) if you're not going to get the Nav.

Xenons are now a must on any car for me. I had them for years, then when I bough the Mini I decided that they were not worth it: I regret that decision as it was a huge mistake.

The Dynaudio seems like an obvious choice for the small cost, so I'll add that too.

#11 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Following test drives I've ordered a 5 door GTI performance pack in white, with Dynaudio and rear side airbags. Pretty light on the options, but it's all the car I need. Roll on June 2014....

#12 djhorace

djhorace

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3934 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Roof rack.
Air.
Stretch tyres.
Uk-mkivs sticker.

Fail

Fail

Fail

Fail (its not a MKIV)

;)

For what its worth, there is no Dynaudio or park assist on the Golf 7 R so I couldn't order them even though I really wanted them, especially Dynaudio. I did however spec

DSG (never had DSG and I love manual gears but DSG is faster - period)

5 door (3 door looks better but 5 door is loads more practical)

Black Paint (Prefer Lapiz Blue but the black is stealthy and will be loads less common - plus I have never had black)

Advanced Phone Prep ( I go in to the hills in Northern Scotland so should help with phone reception)

Climate Windscreen (As above - will be good for when the bad weather comes)

Winter Pack (As above - hot bums on a cold day = win)

Sat Nav (Bit faddy - expensive option but I hate Sat Navs on windscreens)

Rear Camera (Cheap and very useful).

Dynamic Chassis Control

PS - for the original poster, go with the GTi and if you don't add anything else, do add the performance pack - the GTI Performance Pack is an absolutely awesome drive :)

PPS - Just noticed your reply - awesome choice sir :)

#13 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Good news on the order - I'd have gone for petrol if my mileage was lower
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#14 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Good news on the order - I'd have gone for petrol if my mileage was lower

Thanks, I would have gone for the GTD if mine was higher but I was concerned about DPF issues. It was a win-win either way :-)

#15 Ade

Ade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Fail

Fail

Fail

Fail (its not a MKIV)

;)

For what its worth, there is no Dynaudio or park assist on the Golf 7 R so I couldn't order them even though I really wanted them, especially Dynaudio. I did however spec

DSG (never had DSG and I love manual gears but DSG is faster - period)

5 door (3 door looks better but 5 door is loads more practical)

Black Paint (Prefer Lapiz Blue but the black is stealthy and will be loads less common - plus I have never had black)

Advanced Phone Prep ( I go in to the hills in Northern Scotland so should help with phone reception)

Climate Windscreen (As above - will be good for when the bad weather comes)

Winter Pack (As above - hot bums on a cold day = win)

Sat Nav (Bit faddy - expensive option but I hate Sat Navs on windscreens)

Rear Camera (Cheap and very useful).

Dynamic Chassis Control

PS - for the original poster, go with the GTi and if you don't add anything else, do add the performance pack - the GTI Performance Pack is an absolutely awesome drive :)

PPS - Just noticed your reply - awesome choice sir :)

Your R sounds like an awesome spec, I'd love to have gone for one but I just couldn't justify as it's sort of our 3rd car :-D 

#16 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Nav is the only real 'essential' (silly its not standard given the GT has It) and DSG would be high on my list of nice to haves. Leather completes the package. 

2015 GTD DSG

#17 Pauls1820VTGolf

Pauls1820VTGolf

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 9132 posts
  • Somewhere in the South West...
  • Other Models

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

We went for:
Pure white
DSG
Winter Pack

The other half would have liked Dynaudio, but didn't say about it until after we'd got the car. I think the standard setup is fine though, but it depends how loud you like you're music.

Heated seats are a must. It's great for cold days as they warm up faster than the car, so you get a toasty bottom :D

We went for a 3 door because it looks nice. Having sat in a 5 door R the other day, the pillar is far too close to the side of your head in the 5 door lol. We didn't care about practicality, as althought we have 3 kids between us, most of our driving is done with just the 2 of us. The 3 door is easy enough to get in and out of though. Even putting my little one's child seat in is a doddle. I just stand in the footwell behind the seat and do it :)

Thanks, Paul
Main car: Pure White 3dr Mk7 Golf GTI DSG

2nd Car: Red B8 Audi A4 Avant Technik 170

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.