elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

So picked this up on Sunday, got some niggles out the way over the weekend.
I've not yet passed my test, I'm 17 (don't laugh :(), but I have it booked for a few weeks so fingers crossed, been saving for everything since last October!

The car is a 2002 MK4 PD150 (ARL) with every extra imaginable, even a sun roof!

14564830312_fc51e87fba_c.jpg

Here's some interior shots, the walnut has to go...

14564831162_3c86a5c852_c.jpg
14565659105_6dd4d3e556_c.jpg
14378980040_ea45eb4c5f_c.jpg
14379035738_0aa515e69a_c.jpg

I have a lot planned for this, interior needs sorting out, I lent my head unit to a friend that's why I haven't got one at the moment haha, but I want to put a Pioneer double-din in there anyway. Custom sub box build, coilovers, wheels, spacers, various OEM+ add ons, going to be getting a lot of stuff from Darkside, and finally sorting a few dodgy bits of paint work out. Not to mention leather Recaros, new door cards, the list goes on...

Any suggestions and tips are appreciated, I want to build my knowledge about MK4's and definitely add to my to-do list!

Edited by elektrikbanana, 04 January 2021 - 12:12 PM.

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50154 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

As you're a first time driver,please make sure you can still get it insured with the mods you're planning to do to it.Spacers,wheels,remap etc all MUST be declared otherwise you'll be driving without insurance.
It's a tidy looking car apart from that and a well looked after interior for the mileage.Oh and can you make the photos smaller please,it took some time for them to load on a 60mb cable interwebbly connection,imagine how long it'll take on a mobile phone that has just about got a 2G signal.

• Nibbzaaaaay likes this

#3 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

As you're a first time driver,please make sure you can still get it insured with the mods you're planning to do to it.Spacers,wheels,remap etc all MUST be declared otherwise you'll be driving without insurance.
It's a tidy looking car apart from that and a well looked after interior for the mileage.Oh and can you make the photos smaller please,it took some time for them to load on a 60mb cable interwebbly connection,imagine how long it'll take on a mobile phone that has just about got a 2G signal.

I've looked into the price increases and it isn't too bad so will be declaring everything, definitely not worth risking that. 
Oops, I'll need to compress them good point.

#4 [email protected] FLUX

[email protected] FLUX

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 408 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

When you're ready for insurance please feel free to give us a try if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

#5 DanMaytee

DanMaytee

Much Uk. Very Mkivs. WOW.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4739 posts
  • Jetta SE 1.9 TDI

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Looks amazing for a 1st car! Will look forward to see what you do with it :)

12719239_536115556556230_491597040440535

DanMaytee/Pudding Power

JustAnotherMk5 - PD105 Build Thread

#6 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

When you're ready for insurance please feel free to give us a try if you like.

Regards,

Dan.

I'll give you a ring not tried with Adrian Flux yet!

Looks amazing for a 1st car! Will look forward to see what you do with it :)

Awaiting payday ;)

#7 [email protected] FLUX

[email protected] FLUX

Advertisers

• Advertisers
  • 408 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Ok no worries.

#8 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

I gave the car a quick clean the other day, but decided to give the glass some TLC, shined and polished all the windows inside and out. 

14565658335_6a9dba51fd_c.jpg

Also installed some flat bladed wipers, not sure if these are classed as aero but they look better than the old coat hangers.

14562278081_638cbcfa23_c.jpg

I really need a good way of making these pictures smaller, not sure what is the best way of doing that but I'll look into it.

#9 Tez

Tez

Shell V-Power Nitro +

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts
  • Lytham St.Annes
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Looks good buddy! I had a 1999 MK4 150 AGU (GTI) as my first car and on multicar insurance I only paid £1500 a year but we do have 4 cars in my family.

The plans sound good too, leather recaros are awesome! I have just added some to mine and don't forget bora vents!

And if you want to make the pictures smaller, use Flickr as it lets you choose how big or small you want the pictures and then copy the bbcode in to here.

Look forward to seeing the progress, take plenty of pictures aha!

#10 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Looks good buddy! I had a 1999 MK4 150 AGU (GTI) as my first car and on multicar insurance I only paid £1500 a year but we do have 4 cars in my family.

The plans sound good too, leather recaros are awesome! I have just added some to mine and don't forget bora vents!

And if you want to make the pictures smaller, use Flickr as it lets you choose how big or small you want the pictures and then copy the bbcode in to here.

Look forward to seeing the progress, take plenty of pictures aha!

£1500 is brilliant that's lucky!

Thank you, yeah hopefully will get a good set from eBay, literally the only extra that isn't on the car is leather seats and door cards I think. Bora vents how could I forget, definitely looking to pick a set of these up too. 

I'll give Flickr a try now, hopefully will be better haha, thanks for the help:) 

#11 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Migrated the images to Flickr which I'll be using from now on.

In other news I've ordered a set of LED H1 bulbs from eBay due to the fact my dipped beam looks good with the OEM xenons but then when I put my full beam on the look is ruined by the yellowish tint of the standard H1's. Might get some nightbreakers for the rear and LED number plate lights, but that'll be ordered next week as that's when I get paid. 

TRIM RESTORATION!!! Trying to get the lacquer off the plastic but not sure how to go about this but looking into it, it's peeling like most Golf/Bora's do unfortunately and it looks terrible. Once I've smoothed it all out I think I'll wrap it but not decided.

#12 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Oh and I'm pretty sure there is meant to be a bulb here...LOL ;) :Y:

14379651217_c0b4f0fd84_c.jpg

Made a list of the rear bulbs I need, hopefully these will last haha, at under 20 quid for the lot can't complain. 

Attached File  Capture.PNG   235.19KB   41 downloads

#13 vwharry

vwharry

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Southend-on-Sea
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Nice looking motor you have there  :Y:

From what I can tell the missing bulb in your cluster is the nearside fog light.. afaik by law you're only required to have a fog light fitted on your offside

#14 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Nice looking motor you have there  :Y:

From what I can tell the missing bulb in your cluster is the nearside fog light.. afaik by law you're only required to have a fog light fitted on your offside

Cheers! Oh dear, I think I'll be adding a bulb in there!

Update: Scrap the LED H1's as apparently they're rubbish for light output so probably will leave them for the time being, everything at the back however will be LED, hopefully will give a crisper light and make the car have a cleaner look with the LED number plate lights.

#15 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thats a nice first car bud, hopefully you won't write it off as a new driver.

I'd leave power upgrades alone for a while .... i think if i had a pd150 as my first car i'd of smashed it to bits by accident.

Stiffer suspension, better brakes, wider tyres will all improve performance without adding more power ..... these mods will make it safer too.

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#16 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thats a nice first car bud, hopefully you won't write it off as a new driver.

I'd leave power upgrades alone for a while .... i think if i had a pd150 as my first car i'd of smashed it to bits by accident.

Stiffer suspension, better brakes, wider tyres will all improve performance without adding more power ..... these mods will make it safer too.

Will definitely not be touching the engine for a while, at least until I get some experience and just take it easy until then.

Doing coilovers, s3 brakes (maybe), braided brake lines, spacers, and R32 ARB's hopefully so that should improve things. Stuck between Rotiform BLQ's or 3SDM 0.01's hm. 

#17 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50154 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Don't worry about having to buy CAN-BUS error free bulbs because they don't actually exist in the real world.Just buy any decent LED bulbs for the back as mark 4s were the last Golfs with old fashioned 12 volt bulbs controlled directly by the switches and not by a computer.

#18 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Don't worry about having to buy CAN-BUS error free bulbs because they don't actually exist in the real world.Just buy any decent LED bulbs for the back as mark 4s were the last Golfs with old fashioned 12 volt bulbs controlled directly by the switches and not by a computer.

I read your post on this earlier! These were one of the top ones that came up on eBay at a decent price so I can't go wrong for a few quid even if the can-bus claims are meaningless. Spend 20 quid in total but that's not bad for all of the rear bulbs. Hopefully will give off a but of a crisper light and freshen the look up a bit. Will be replacing the plates too, they're a bit worn and cracked.

#19 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Can't decide on colour hm. Silver cars tend to look better with silver/polished wheels but not too sure, I think I want 3SDM 0.01's.

Attached File  phpthumb_generated_thumbnail1.jpeg   55.27KB   40 downloads

Or...

Attached File  1331240734-954474001.jpg   28.31KB   38 downloads

#20 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

I think I can get away with sanding this down, primer, then spraying it black again. The walnut sections of the trim I want to wrap. 

14571860995_c98e8f0cae_c.jpg

Also as I was looking at the centre console surrounding trim I found this mess...

14385228168_bb3a92f5c0_c.jpg

So I'm gonna have to get the glue off somehow and then try to repair the cage a bit so when I wrap the trim on that side it sits flush as it should, it's not secure at the moment, I can get it off with one finger  :angry: The other side seems to be fine however but I didn't take it off.

#21 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

So I sanded and cleaned the drivers side door handle and the trim piece that surrounds the switches (also cleaned 12 years of grime from under the switches with a toothbrush), it's looking better with the major marks removed but I think I need to get a finer grit of sandpaper, not sure. 

14577418392_80ec98a6e3_c.jpg

I want to remove the wooden piece that is attached to this but I think it is glued, so hopefully I can heat it up and get it off to wrap it.  

Also these arrived today!

14575166651_29f501bb9b_c.jpg

I'll take a picture when I'm home from work later to see how they look. 

#22 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

So I just picked up some Bora vents for £10!!! Perfect condition from a scrapyard, very happy. Will be fitting tomorrow, just need to sort the wiring:( 

#23 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

So I cleaned up all the Bora vents this morning, I'm going to get the LED's that I forgot to take out from the scrappy later and this morning I ordered the three repair wires and plugs from VW for £15 so not too bad.

(I'll add an image here later, can't get on Flickr, just imagine some clean bora vents :P)

14611652375_1f89c4d5b3_c.jpg

The LED's for the rear clusters all arrived apart from the smaller taillights. So everything on the back is all LED now and it looks a lot better, especially the number plate. I'll put up a picture when this is all completed but the lights I'm waiting on are coming from Japan so could be next week -_-

It's payday Friday (FINALLY), so ordering new interior wrap, plastic filler primer, and paint for the drivers side windows switch panel trim. A new door courtesy light (the clip is broken), and a new gear stick off the bay to freshen things up a bit and get rid of one more bit of walnut! Lastly need to replace all the interior lights with LED's and the front sidelights which are blown anyway.

Oh, not to mention create the vent loom and install all of that with the new parts...

#24 Tez

Tez

Shell V-Power Nitro +

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts
  • Lytham St.Annes

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

£1500 is brilliant that's lucky!

Thank you, yeah hopefully will get a good set from eBay, literally the only extra that isn't on the car is leather seats and door cards I think. Bora vents how could I forget, definitely looking to pick a set of these up too. 

I'll give Flickr a try now, hopefully will be better haha, thanks for the help:)

I know, I couldn't believe it myself especially when a few of my friends were paying 2000+ for there 1.2 corsas etc.

Good to hear you have some now, they make a huge difference to the interior :) and no worries!

#25 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

I know, I couldn't believe it myself especially when a few of my friends were paying 2000+ for there 1.2 corsas etc.

Good to hear you have some now, they make a huge difference to the interior :) and no worries!

1.2 for 2k and it's not German, no way!

Proving to be a PAIN IN THE ARSE! Actually the issues I'm having are probably normal it's just I've never done any car electricals before and I am way out of my depth haha  :angry:

#26 Tez

Tez

Shell V-Power Nitro +

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts
  • Lytham St.Annes

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

1.2 for 2k and it's not German, no way!

Proving to be a PAIN IN THE ARSE! Actually the issues I'm having are probably normal it's just I've never done any car electricals before and I am way out of my depth haha :angry:.

That's exactly what I said aha!

Well you haven't done anything like this before and the car is 10+ years old so there will be little bits and bobs to do here and there every so often but you will learn a lot from it and things will become a lot easier 😊

#27 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

I went to the scrapyard earlier to get the LED's (£3 ugh..) from the vents I forgot to take with me on Monday, but I couldn't find the connector at the end of the wire so I decided to cut them...

14611900364_25505c4769_c.jpg

Hand look weird oops, but as you can see here it's just the bare wires remaining. I think I have correctly put the LED's back in their clips but someone correct me if I have done this wrong. I've ordered the three repair wires and clips from VW this morning for 15 quid but I don't think I need the connectors now as I have only the bare wires and will have to solder them to the repair wires, not sure about this hm. I have read various loom tutorials and I think I can get it working without the original vent connectors and just to twist and solder. Fingers crossed.

On a better note I went shopping today! It's just a start but I have literally no car products and a few tools so I've got these now. The plastic filler primer and black satin paint are for the drivers side door handle that I was sanding as I mentioned on here the other day. 

[u14613689255_9bd644cb42_c.jpg

#28 Tez

Tez

Shell V-Power Nitro +

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts
  • Lytham St.Annes

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

How old are you? And have you done your theory test yet?

#29 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50154 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

You don't special over priced OEM wires,just extend them with any convenient wire of the same size you have spare (speaker wire is good here),then connect them to the same coloured wires at the back of any switch that's illuminated.

#30 elektrikbanana

elektrikbanana

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Lincoln & West London

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

That's exactly what I said aha!

Well you haven't done anything like this before and the car is 10+ years old so there will be little bits and bobs to do here and there every so often but you will learn a lot from it and things will become a lot easier

Yeah hopefully I'll get better at everything after I've been doing it for a while. 

How old are you? And have you done your theory test yet?

17, theory is passed and I have my practical in just under 2 weeks.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.