#1 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

My Nikon D40x needs replacement. I need to stay with Nikon as I've got other lenses.

Wex Photographic have used D7000 for £350-400, they also have the D300s for the same price.

Anyobe have opinions on them?

Normal use is: no sport, not much landscapes, quite a bit of indoor of family and holidays, again of family.

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

Mk2 Driver, Mk3 Driver, Mk3 VR6, Mk4 Gti, Mk5 Gti

#2 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Just seen this - I have one. For the price, they're a bargain and a good upgrade from your d40.

All quite straightforward to use and everything you need is to hand rather than delving through menus
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#3 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've been keeping my eye on used values and it seems I can get one for £300 if I'm lucky on eBay.

The more I read about them the more I'm convinced its the right choice.

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

#4 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

£300 would be a bargain. I see them at £330-&350 for a shutter count of 5-12k
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#5 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Just missed out on one on eBay. Went for £256 with 14k usage.

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

#6 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

Just bagged one on eBay. £315 inc del
with a 3k shutter count. Looks mint with box and all accessories. From a photographic shop so comes with warranty too. Very happy, just need to wait for it to arrive now.

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

#7 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Good price for a great camera. Might be dumping mine next year as im looking to change systems
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#8 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

Good price for a great camera. Might be dumping mine next year as im looking to change systems

What are you thinking of changing to?

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#9 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Olympus MFT. The thing is that I bought the d7000 as a step up from the d3100, which it is in terms of usability. In terms of IQ, I can't tell the difference unless at high ISO.

So Ive ended up splitting my gear into 2 bags and switching stuff around depending on where I'm going. I've probably taken 1800 shots since January.

Then I bought the xf1 in April as a point n shoot and I've got some great shots with it and taken over 3000 shots. This camera taught me that gear is not as important as an eye ( to an extent of course ).

So I started to question the need for a DSLR - why have stuff that's so big and heavy that it stays at home 90% of the time ?

I just wonder if I'm doing the right thing so am hesitating about pushing the "buy" button. MFT cameras are amazingly sharp but panning is a bit of a black art - then there's the cost to change which is going to means 4 figure outlay initially.

Decisions eh ? :D
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#10 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

I had a 5d and ended up selling it as I wasn't using it all that much (apart from a few weddings etc but the processing after was a massive pain so stopped taking them on)

Borrow my brother in laws mk3 5d sometimes though, it's pretty awesome but in normal conditions I wouldn't say there is much difference.

Might be back in the market for something later next year, so maybe I'll have a look at something like the Olympus. All I really want to do is buildings, landscapes and cars. Just as a hobby, which the whole wedding thing kind of killed for me.

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#11 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

I'd never do weddings - far too much pressure. For me, it's a hobby
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#12 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

It was a hobby for me, but then the old thing happened when a mate asked me to do some photos at theirs, then their friend asked me etc etc.

They are bloody hard work and there is soooo much that can go wrong! Money is good though I have to say! Stopped now though, do still get people asking sometimes but I miss the days when I would just go out for a wander somewhere and shoot.

Really want to get some decent ones of my car, but sold off my pocket wizards as well, which I now completely regret! Was really getting into my strobist stuff at the time, just running with the canon speed lights etc and using portable soft boxes.

Maybe next year, might try and cobble something together in time for the Megameet.

#13 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

Drawn to pricey hobbies eh..
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#14 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

Drawn to pricey hobbies eh..

Tell me about it. Need to start making better money than I do right now........

#15 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

It won't help...trust me ;)
  • ProjectMick likes this
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#16 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

It arrived this morning. It's in mint condition.

I've had a quick play, and the its really good. Exposure in low light is spot on.

Instantly made my trusty d40x feel like a toy camera!

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

#17 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

Great excuse for some car photos!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.