499 replies to this topic

#1 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Okay, i figured now that i'm mostly done with patching, servicing, bodging and breaking bits on my car, i can move onto the more serious business of getting it built up to my needs...

So the story begins in 2008...

Was looking at pretty much anything with either a solid 1.8T, or a PD130 engine. When an '01 GT-TDI with reasonable mileage, and a bible of history came up locally for some reasonable wodge, i jumped into my poorly Mk3 and went to scout the car out...(it was something like 1am when i found the car on AutoTrader, so i thought i'd go and check to see if it were there, and if so, get up at 6am to go and try it out. This being a work day and all).

Cue turning up at work at 9am, in a shiny, indigo blue GT-TDI...

Pretty decent list of toys as standard. Cruise control, heated sports interior (though not Recaro for some reason), Arm-rest, washer-jets, sunroof, Monty2s, and full electric everything except folding windows.

Ended up spending the first month or so getting money back out the dealer due to a hole in the exhaust, bust wiper motor on the rear, and a heated seat that wouldn't shut off. Oh, and i also had the dreaded 'limp-mode' caused by the injector loom...Finally got down to business, and got myself some nice pressed plates from Dubmeister, as well as affix some all-important go-faster stickers!

Shortly after this, i discovered that my boot had slowly been transformed into a water-feature due to the two lower vents under the rear bumpers leaking. Steep and scary learning form the forums, led to my Sunday afternoon being spent like this:

Nothing quite like dropping the bumper on the first car you've owned that actually looked better clean than dirty...

Then over christmas, i managed to warp a Monty2 on a chunk of ice falling off the back of an artic on the motorway in France, which forced me to look at changing wheels sooner rather than later (i needed 2 new tyres on the wheels that weren't bent outta shape). Nothing quite like a quick motorway blast to make your car look like crap...

So where am i now...

Well, i've scored a set of Ronal TTs off a guy on here, which i've coated in some reasonable quality 225/45/17s, and i've recently gone and had a turbo-bacl Milltek 4-mo, non-res system fitted by the wonderful staff at AmD.

Went around the car, and swapped all the failing 501s and strip bulbs with LEDs to sharpen it up a little at night, and subsequently discovered that the door position sensor in the lock module is on the blink, causing my interior lights to not work, and to occasionally forget to turn my lights out.

I've also just fitted the mk5 aero-rear wiper assembly on, having seen it on Usher80's PD, and loving how much cleaner it looks.

Plans for future...

- Got a set of Hofele lower intakes on order, along with a shim to get more/cooler air directed to the intercooler, as well as as a second feed to the bottom of the airbox.
- Super-secret-advertising-system
- Suspension, having replaced the top-mounts; i've commited a sin against the VW community, and taken the car back to full-standard ride height. Now i know how the car should feel, i can get an idea on what i want/need out of it. So planning for a 20-30mm drop, plus rear ARB.
- Electrical toys and gubbins...
- Fit the 2nd de-lock kit, side-repeaters, light-strips, and hopefully a new auto-dimming mirror!

#2 mattytdi

mattytdi

Golf V R32 3.2 250PS DSG / Golf IV TDI-R 200PS

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • -------

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

I'm not normally a fan of the blue Tim, but it does look good in the super-shiny pics.[Y]

Learnt something new too. I didn't know there were any Y reg 130's.

Mine: MKV R32 DSG - MKIV 115 GTTDI - MKIV 1.8GTI - MKV PD140 - MKV PD140 - MKV 2.0FSI - MKV 2.0 GTI
Family: MKIV 130 GTTDI (Mum's)
6N Polo (Brother's) - Polo 6R 1.4 DSG (Wife's)
Gone: MKIV 2.0 GTI - MKIV 1.8 GTI - MKIV 1.8T GTI - MKIV V5 170 - MKV 1.6FSI - Polo 1.0E - Touran 2.0 PD170 Sport DSG

#3 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thank you!

I managed to get a bit of work done today, and snapped a picture of the milltek, scary what 2 days of bad weather does...

Also delt with the water-logged repeaters i had, with some el-cheapo-ebay-special smoked units. Not too bad actually...

Finally, decided to fit a set of LED strips i had spare, as additional boot lighting. Pretty pleased with the results, although i'll have to wait until tonight to see if it actually does what i want...

Also just found out that the the Hofele intakes i bought do not fit
into the drivers side of the front bumper, due to the toe-bar mount.
Unimpressed[:@]

#4 faisal_16

faisal_16

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4129 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Tim, I've only just seen this.....what the hell is wrong with you....forget the car, I want a build thread dedicated to those stickers of yours!!![:DD]

#5 R44MS_K

R44MS_K

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

looking good!
Looking forward to the boot pic / LED strip !

#6 hotboy836

hotboy836

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9152 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

ooo about time :-)

#7 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Cheers y'all. Will try to get a shot later tonight of the boot to see how it looks...

Faisal...this one is for you...

#8 mattytdi

mattytdi

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • -------

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Also just found out that the the Hofele intakes i bought do not fit into the drivers side of the front bumper, due to the toe-bar mount. UnimpressedAngry

Whaaaat!?[:@]

I just bought a set of these. Now I'm gonna have to steal a Dremel off of someone.........

Mine: MKV R32 DSG - MKIV 115 GTTDI - MKIV 1.8GTI - MKV PD140 - MKV PD140 - MKV 2.0FSI - MKV 2.0 GTI
Gone: MKIV 2.0 GTI - MKIV 1.8 GTI - MKIV 1.8T GTI - MKIV V5 170 - MKV 1.6FSI - Polo 1.0E - Touran 2.0 PD170 Sport DSG

#9 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Whaaaat!?Angry

I just bought a set of these. Now I'm gonna have to steal a Dremel off of someone.........

Having wondered this myself, i had a close look, and i think it would take a big honkin' chunk outta them to get em to barely fit...

#10 mattytdi

mattytdi

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • -------

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Wierd as I fitted the ones Venom do to my brothers car with problems whatsoever

You have unscrewed the towing eye, right? [;)

#11 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yup, but the mech it screws into seems to be quit far forward. May take another crack later just to try, but im pretty sure it won't fit correctly after last time.

#12 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

I'm pretty pleased with the overall effect [B]

#13 faisal_16

faisal_16

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4129 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Looks nice Tim....get yourself a white LED bulb to replace the standard boot light and it'll look a bit neater[y]....I need to do the same mine, been meaning to for years lol

#14 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

I think i'm actually just going to unplug it. I get more uniform lighting anyway. What i was considering was illuminating the ring around the accessory socket instead.

#15 R44MS_K

R44MS_K

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Liking the boot lighting

#16 mattytdi

mattytdi

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • -------

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

Whaaaat!?Angry

Having wondered this myself, i had a close look, and i think it would take a big honkin' chunk outta them to get em to barely fit...

Don't want to worry you Tim, but I got round to trying mine today and they fit with no issues at all........

#17 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

Interesting that it fits on your GT-TDI.

I have subsequently found that they do not fit properly on the GT-TDI according to Hofele due to the tow-hook hole being too far forwards on cars with SMICs.

#18 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

Minor update...

Blocked the vac line running to the top of my EGR, no light as yet. Should keep my intake pipe a little cleaner in future...

Also, did a testfit of a boost gauge. All plumbed in minus power for the lighting, that and its just cabletied to the dash. Waiting on a little pod to arrive.

#19 faisal_16

faisal_16

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4129 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

Cable ties ftw[:P]

Krispy meet next week btw....thread to follow when I pull my finger out lol

#20 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Cool cool...

Pod ordered so should get that sorted in the next day or two, plus found a guide on wiring up the lighting on the gauge!

#21 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

SitRep...

EGR bypass disabled, engine too rough without vac line to top of EGR valve.

Autogauge..uh...gauge for boost wired up and reporting correctly, buzzes a little when at full whack, but to be expected, restricter working perfectly at lower revs.

Built lighting loom for gauges and future expansion using 3-pin fan cables formerly used in desktop computers. Wiring makes sense in that RED operates permanent 12v, YELLOW operates ignition-powered 12v (dimmable via cabin controls) and BLACK for ground. Pictures to follow as this serves as a good platform for adding bora vents and powering additional gauges (load dependant).

#22 Dub-GTi

Dub-GTi

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

[heat] Tim - car is looking amazing. I think the Golf looks stunning in that blue specially when it's shining. [:$] If I was to ever get a paint job, it's this or grey.

#23 hotboy836

hotboy836

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9152 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

yay about time we got a decent build thread on this forum.

#24 Chris.

Chris.

Like A Bawwsss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25247 posts
  • Durham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

Looking good.

sig15.jpg

R-Tech Power 248bhp 275lbft - Gone But Not Forgotten
1.9T Forged Track Build Thread - TTE 420. Running 390bhp | 360lbft

#25 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

Apologies on the quality, iPhone was all i had to hand. Okay so the backing is white which is less than ideal, but the illumination matches the dash pretty closely, so i can't complain, especially considering the gauge was £10 and the pod was £8...

And now...for some video content...if this works...

#26 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Okay so embedding Vimeo content...hard...

clicky

#27 hotboy836

hotboy836

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9152 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Okay so embedding Vimeo content...hard...

clicky

EPIC FAIL tim heheeeeee. go youtube man.

#28 Golfedd

Golfedd

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4138 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

Apologies on the quality, iPhone was all i had to hand. Okay so the backing is white which is less than ideal, but the illumination matches the dash pretty closely, so i can't complain, especially considering the gauge was £10 and the pod was £8...

And now...for some video content...if this works...

Hmmmm could you not take the foil out and possibly spray it or something? or are the numbers written on or gaps where the light shines through is that makes any sense?

#29 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

Numbers are gaps in perspex by the looks of it, i'm not too fussed to be honest, i'm just loving having a booooost gauge!

Lowell: I would, but youtube muted the audio due to copyright abuse ><

#30 hotboy836

hotboy836

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9152 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

youtube are becomign a nanny state. my videos audio will get muted soon then. sheesh.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.