• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

I'm looking at selling my MK5 GTI and getting a 1 year old MK7 GTI

Due to the large amount of money involved, I'm considering going to a dealers due to the security of knowing I'm safer if something goes wrong.

Does anyone have any tips in getting a good price off the dealers list prices? They're talking around the £22k fgure for a 1yr old GTI

Thanks!

#2 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Other Models

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

I know this might sound like a ball buster, but I'd recommend selling the Mk5 privately. Dealers have this unerring way of only giving you around half what the car is actually worth. By selling privately, you will be reducing the total amount of the £22k you were planning on spending (obviously).

Secondly, make a point of going round 2 or 3 garages & asking the question / making the statement ...

" I'm looking for a Mk7 Golf & want to pay cash, how much of a discount off the retail price will you give me ?"

I can bet that most will say (with a straight face), "just what the ticket price states, sir..."

(NEVER accept that answer ! Advertised prices can always be tweaked down / argued over)

That aside, if you get a couple of them to 'quote' you a price, play them off each other by stating that Garage X will sell me one for Y pounds, can you match or better that ?

Yes it's a lot of donkey work & running around, but if you get said £22k car for £18.5k & you sell your Mk5 for £3k, you've technically bought a £22k car for £15,5k !!

It's worth a thought !

552681.png

#3 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Brexit-Land

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Try GTI World  :Y:

:cop:   MK4   Golf   is   the   graveyard   of   your   Ambition    :cop:

#4 mcr

mcr

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

@Mmalkie

@welshv5er

Thank you both for your help. Having looked at carwow, I can actually get a new GTI for only 1.5k more than a 1 year old one. So that is a realistic option

I'll definitely be selling my MK5 privately!

#5 davo160

davo160

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

If you look on broadspeed.com see the price on there and that is what you should be aiming for from a dealer I reckon 10% off list is a good target I have aready been offered this after some negotiation LOL

Once you have decided on spec ETC  try a few different dealers prices vary A LOT !!

#6 dataflow

dataflow

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV Estate SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:08 AM

If your Mark V is nice and well looked after PistonHeads could be a good place to try to sell it.  

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.