Some hard graft went into this at the weekend. This morning I was broken. Aching all over, paracetamol just to function without groaning, plus a cold and generally feeling unwell, it's been rough.
Call me a wimp, but I started at 9AM on Saturday, worked through till 11PM with help from JayPButler
a pub lunch thrown in there somewhere around 1. Then i was back at it 8AM sunday morning and didn't wrap up until 9PM, having eaten only a bacon sandwich and a hot cross bun all day.
But enough about me and my ailments, what about the car?
Well I now have a Leon cupra r subframe, control arms, quick rack, H&R front ARB, 312mm front brakes, and hubs. More on the hubs in a second...
A3 on the ramp:
Big advantage having a girl friend who's dad is a mechanic, with his own workshop, where the fun and games can happen.
Jay's Cupra in place, ready to donate it's organs to a good cause:
First thing I did was drop the subframe off the A3... Easy job... when you know where all the important bolts are, which I didn't. But it did make it easier second time round when I had to take it off the Cupra.
blury picture of the broken cupra:
Then while trying to remove the adapters for the big brake kit on the cupra, this happened:
So I practised my welding skills, which are FAR from perfect, but it did help extract the stud.
Tired, defeated and rather peed off, I went for a shower and bed.
Fresh start in the morning and I started by taking the subframe, and all other related paraphernalia off the cupra:
I then lifted it on to the A3, and started nipping bolts up. At which point Jay turned up again and we continues horsing around with the welder and breaking things. I kept miss-placing my tools, and hitting things with hammers.
Note the cut ball joints. Would be fair to say I was starting to regret taking on such a task. Every bolt on the cupra seemed to either strip the head, or start undoing, then bind up completely. I had to cut the ball joints and brake carriers off, which ultimately left me with two buggered track rod ends, and a knackered hub.
But despite the trials and tribulations, We managed to get both cars back with 4 wheels on, so we could free the workshop up for Monday morning, when 'proper' work was going to be done.
While I was doing the subframe swap, i put my newly acquired 312mm carriers and discs on, which has filled out the wheels nicely:
And finally, i gave the car a lambda sensor, which should help it fuel a bit better:
One of the hardest weekends of work of my life. It really doesn't look like much when you write it all down, but it was a solid weekend of work. Would be quicker next time round though, now I know what I'm doing!
Also, a potential name was born for this car, when i messaged Jay late Saturday night, saying Seat+Audi=Saudi...