• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi. New to this forum so sorry if i ask questions already answered (have done a search). I've currently got a 6n2 Polo GTi which i've had just over 4 years and now looking for a change and think a Mk4 Golf GT TDI fits the bill. Have been looking around and working out what's available for my price range (£4-5k) and have a few questions:

• 130 or 150? Found a few old threads about this, some mentioning lag with the 150 and the main differences re alloys/climate etc. I'd like climate and upgraded alloys but you can get 130's with these, so what's the best to go for? What about in terms of insurance?

• Anything in particular i should look out for when buying one?

• Apart from autotrader, pistonheads and forum classifieds are there any other good places to search?

#2 pjreeky

pjreeky

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

welcome mate

1. 130 or 150 both toppers, gt spec gives more(ignore badges and look at the papers or sticker in boot-engine bay for conformation of what your buying)

2.insurance will depend how old you are and any points you have??

3.usual stuff when buying, sevice history reciepts for parts-jobs done

4. cant think of anywhere else you should be looking,mabey some one else can shine a light on that one

5. happy hunting [:D]

#3 chris27989

chris27989

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

with vw always check the electrics is what i have to say lol

and check the service history if both of those are good your on a winner

#4 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

29 and no points.

Cheers for the info.

#5 pjreeky

pjreeky

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

29 and no points.

Cheers for the info.

no probs, im 30 ,£650 a year for insurance thats with 3 points

#6 Domplatts

Domplatts

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

Yea you want full service history on any PD model, ideally with receipts but not that necessary as to check what oil is used.

PD150 models are more prone to cam shaft wear, so make sure you take it for a test drive. ensure once warmed up it idles smoothly and does not sound rough or have any odd tapping noises. This can happen on the PD130 too but not as common.

You will expect to pay fairly big money for one aswell because if there looked after they really do keep going.

I payed £5700 for an 02 plate PD150 with 60k full service history. I have mine serviced every 10k and always use the Volkswagen (Quantum) oil on changes.

Insurance companies like diesels and you tend to get some good prices, but at 29 with no points you wont be paying much at all. 

Any other questions just ask, hope this helped.

#7 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

Yea you want full service history on any PD model, ideally with receipts but not that necessary as to check what oil is used.

PD150 models are more prone to cam shaft wear, so make sure you take it for a test drive. ensure once warmed up it idles smoothly and does not sound rough or have any odd tapping noises. This can happen on the PD130 too but not as common.

You will expect to pay fairly big money for one aswell because if there looked after they really do keep going.

I payed £5700 for an 02 plate PD150 with 60k full service history. I have mine serviced every 10k and always use the Volkswagen (Quantum) oil on changes.

Insurance companies like diesels and you tend to get some good prices, but at 29 with no points you wont be paying much at all. 

How long ago did you buy yours? Got an insurance quote online and around £350 so not much more than I currently pay.

#8 usher80

usher80

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

I pay 395 a year for insurance on my 150. I'm 29 and live in south west London. The difference in insurance costs is negligible between the 2 models.

#9 Domplatts

Domplatts

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

How long ago did you buy yours? Got an insurance quote online and around £350 so not much more than I currently pay.

Got mine October 09 matey

#10 M53494

M53494

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Avoid ones that have been on a long service shedule! (Oil change around every 20000+ miles). The more often the oil has been changed, the better its been looked after.

MOST IMPORTANT - Make sure its had the correct oil in it (PD's must have the special spec PD oil in them).

#11 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

How important is the mileage? A lot of the cars i'm looking at have around 100k+ on them which seems a lot to me but i guess with these cars it doesn't matter as much?

#12 skatterson

skatterson

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

How important is the mileage? A lot of the cars i'm looking at have around 100k+ on them which seems a lot to me but i guess with these cars it doesn't matter as much?

Full service history and it should be fine for many miles to come.

#13 diesalhead

diesalhead

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

http://www.autotrade...age/2?logcode=p

#14 Steveocee

Steveocee

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Seems quite over priced to me.... not sure on what anyone else thinks?

#15 diesalhead

diesalhead

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

Yes your rite but a standard one of that spec is easily around 5500??

I just think it looks mint and most parts changed on the car inc engine cam shaft and thats expensive

#16 skatterson

skatterson

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Yes, very.

Yes your rite but a standard one of
that spec is easily around 5500??

I just think it looks mint and most parts changed on the car inc
engine cam shaft and thats expensive

Standard car would be worth more- you can get a a much lower milage car for a lot less than that.  Seems odd to spend all that money on the engine and put heavy replica wheels on it  [:S]

#17 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

Maybe, although it does seem to come with a lot of extras.

Does this look good? http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3efe2bb60f

#18 boranik

boranik

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Looks good apart from the price, I nearly bought an 02 gt tdi 150 last week, 75K FSH 2 owners only missing satnav and xenons for £3100. There's no need to pay £5K for a mk4 you could pick a mk5 tdi up for that now!

As for diesalhead, would you buy a car from someone who can't spell diesel?!

#19 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Looks good apart from the price, I nearly bought an 02 gt tdi 150 last week, 75K FSH 2 owners only missing satnav and xenons for £3100. There's no need to pay £5K for a mk4 you could pick a mk5 tdi up for that now

I've yet to find one that good for that cheap...

What wheels are these (i've love to find a car like this)?

#20 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

Nouvolaris I think

#21 diesalhead

diesalhead

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

they are, hardly any mk4s come with high spec such as headlamp washers sunrrof, rain wipers, cruise etc none at 5k even have that? leather sat nav are just a pure bonus

#22 diesalhead

diesalhead

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

plus only mk5 i would have is the mk5 r32

#23 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

link #1

link #2

#24 Harj

Harj

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hello Owenjt. We have a 2002 silver 5dr GT TDI 150 with winter pack. Done 97,000 miles, just had MOT done, full service history, recent cam belt change. Looked after family car with paperwork for parts/service etc. It's had Jabbasport generic remap 185 bhp, cotton green panel filter, Weitec hicon gt coilovers, 312mm brakes. We have kept up the maintenance on it as much as finances allow. Overall it's served us well and still does, a genuine honest car. May sell it. What is it worth?

#25 diesalhead

diesalhead

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:37 AM

link #1

link #2

Nik come on you do know none of them are 150's for a start however second car looks good for its price just no climate control???

#26 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:56 AM

So, being a 150 commands a £2500+ price difference? I think not!

#27 owenjt

owenjt

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

This looks good...http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1601298.htm?

#28 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Looks good but you should be looking at 03/53 models for that money not a ten year old one! 

#29 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

Livin' by the sword

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5180 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Have you any idea just how much car you can buy for £4200? A lot more than a 10 year old high mileage Golf 115bhp tdi, that's what.

Plus it's been remapped, but never driven in anger. Yeah, right.

Okay, it has heated leather seats, and a couple of other bits of icing, but another £2500 will get you into an 06 2.0ltr GT TDI 140 with full VW service history. Okay, so a shade more miles at just about 105k miles, but that Golf you linked to is just too much money for an old car.

#30 colz1234

colz1234

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

i just payed £3900 for a 150, 2002, black 3dr, 92000, pretty much immaculate, fsh, etc, etc

thought that was an ok price really.

its still one of the lowest prices ive seen, theres a lot of overpriced ones out there.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.