Electronic Parking Brake protocol - Manual Transmission - MkVII (MK7) Golf and Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

Electronic Parking Brake protocol - Manual Transmission

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

Can you tell me the procedure for releasing the EPG after having got into the car, shut the door and fastened the safety belt? Do you have to put your foot on the brake pedal and press down the EPG button, after having first started the car in the usual way I.e.with the clutch depressed?
Is the procedure any different when reversing for the first time?
Apologies for being tedious
Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#2 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

I just select a gear and drive off - it auto releases. If I haven't fastened my belt ( ie I'm reversing ), I have to put my foot on the brake and manual release the EPB.
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#3 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

I just select a gear and drive off - it auto releases. If I haven't fastened my belt ( ie I'm reversing ), I have to put my foot on the brake and manual release the EPB.

I'm grateful for that quick reply. I was only asking as I was sure I read somewhere, even in the confused photocopied manual I download yonks ago now, it seems, that a foot on the brake was needed. And did read that people had said (not sure about seat belt off/on) that a press on the brake pedal was necessary. Hopefully my first test drive in the next ten days or so will make it clearer in my mind.

#4 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

Not sure if mine is different as I have auto hold in the gtd. I'm not familiar with the spec for other models
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#5 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

Not sure if mine is different as I have auto hold in the gtd. I'm not familiar with the spec for other models

Yes, that's right but to my knowledge all MK7s with EPB have Autohold as well.

#6 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

It's only if your seatbelt isn't fastened the extra step of foot on brake pedal is required. So if seatbelt isn't fastened, foot on brake pedal, release EPB, foot off brake pedal, drive away.

As Damian says, if seatbelt is fastened you just drive away and EPB auto releases.

Jon

MK7 2.0TDI SE|Urano Grey|Madrid Alloys|Philips bulbs|Chrome exhaust tips|LED Number Plate Upgrade|LED Interior Bulbs|LED Tail Lights|Tints|Folding mirrors|

#7 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

Thanks a lot and just one final question, if I may. Can the bite point/gas pedal input be varied by the car's electronics to detect changes in gradient, when pulling away, say, on a steep incline rather than a gentle slope?

Cars I have driven with Hill Hold Assist seem to have very little delay in releasing line pressure when on the level but the holding effect is much greater on a 10% incline for example. With a mechanical handbrake you can release it 'late' in order to avoid any run back if you know what I mean.

#8 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

Mine is a bit variable but not always gradient based. Mostly, it requires very little input to release but sometimes it "thumps" off. No idea why
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#9 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

I've certainly noticed I need more right foot to release the EPB when on an incline. When the road it's flat, you don't really notice the auto release, but I'd say on an incline you can feel it being a little more reluctant to release to prevent the roll back (it still scares me when people can't do hill starts properly and start rolling back towards the car  :o ).

Jon

MK7 2.0TDI SE|Urano Grey|Madrid Alloys|Philips bulbs|Chrome exhaust tips|LED Number Plate Upgrade|LED Interior Bulbs|LED Tail Lights|Tints|Folding mirrors|

#10 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

I've certainly noticed I need more right foot to release the EPB when on an incline. When the road it's flat, you don't really notice the auto release, but I'd say on an incline you can feel it being a little more reluctant to release to prevent the roll back (it still scares me when people can't do hill starts properly and start rolling back towards the car  :o ).

Yes, very interesting and would think that what you find would at least follow my theorising about the system. I wonder if. overall, the installation of this feature would lead to greater clutch wear in general?

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.