Cat D, Golf GT TDI Anniversary 52 plate. How much is a good price ? - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Cat D, Golf GT TDI Anniversary 52 plate. How much is a good price ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 replay10

replay10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello im thinking of buying a Golf GT TDI Anniversary 52 plate, it is a cat D though and covered 80000 miles. Assuming its been fully repaired and with all service history, how much would be a good price ? I was told it has a turbo just fitted (used one) as the old one has gone. The price is 4k what do you reckon ?

#2 boranik

boranik

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

What was it wrote off for? 

#3 vw4

vw4

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

too much

#4 Dils

Dils

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

think thats ok mate how was it written off??? how many owners how long has it been on road since a cat d??check previous mot to c if its been clocked back ,make sure damaged has fully been repared and where?? i would pay 4000

#5 maxitrol

maxitrol

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6209 posts
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

all depends why it was a cat d..

#6 replay10

replay10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it as i am a novice but really like the anniversarry. The Cat D was because of a rear collision, that has been repaired. ive not had a chance to see it yet because im car-less at the mo but it would have to be professionaly repaired or it would spoil the beauty of it. i was thinking 4k would be ok if everything is in good order. Also the turbo has gone and another (used one) put it, after checking forums im concerened it may go again, what are your thoughts ? thanks again

#7 izzy_007

izzy_007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

its an accident repair, im sure if its had rear end damage, it would be good as it was probably only panel damage and not very much to the cars chassis

#8 chrisr

chrisr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7320 posts
  • Middleton / Manchester
  • Golf V R32 3.2 250PS

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

If you get it & not happy with it ill swap you for my GT TDi 130, & Ill even leave the R32 Bumpers on it! [whistle]

#9 danny_sims

danny_sims

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2987 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

knock them down to 3500 and its a steal

find out when it was damaged

if it was when the car was nearly new it will have been worse than lets say 12months back as the value of the car goes down

cat d is not a bad collision in most cases

#10 peace1969

peace1969

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2913 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Edited Read this fella[Y]

http://www.autocheck...categories.html

#11 danny_sims

danny_sims

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2987 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

i would not say that is an accurate description

cat c requires a vick test when repaired before being mot'd and taxed

a cat d does not

so cat d is less damage and also is not recorded on the log book unlike cat c

but on the other hand a cat d has not been vic tested

just make sure its been repaired correctly

#12 Dils

Dils

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

mate think its ok serious also mk4 are all bolt on parts jus do check to see the chassis not bent and rear wheels are straght thats very inportant mabye rear tyres see if there bold on the eges etc but do think its a good deal 4k

#13 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

£4K for a wrote off 8 year old golf is insanity!

#14 Andyanni25th

Andyanni25th

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

Its a 25th Anniversary though Nik [whistle]

#15 boranik

boranik

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

[|-)] so it's got a numbered plaque, some different coloured seats and some valances?! [whistle]

#16 Mad_torque

Mad_torque

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

Cat D cars dont go around for free even be it a Anniversary, Everything has a price......just make sure what your buying is genuine(Mileage,Service and condition).....accidents happen its a part of life make sure its properly repaired.....and your satisfied......i also advise never buying a car in a hurry.

#17 Andyanni25th

Andyanni25th

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Sure i read somewhere there are 300+ differences to a GTI.[whistle]

#18 dylan-bliss

dylan-bliss

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

If it's had a rear bump, make sure when you do go to look at it you take the boot carpet up, spare wheel out, and give the boot floor a bloody good look over - you don't want any creases in there, or anything whatsoever that looks like its not meant to be there. To be honest it could have had a pretty light shunt and been written off, i'm sure an anni rear bumper, valance and bootlid would add up to a fair bit of money with VW main dealer prices and on what Nik points out is still an 8yr old Golf is plenty enough for an insurance company to pay out and get rid....

#19 izzy_007

izzy_007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

i would not say that is an accurate description

cat c requires a vick test when repaired before being mot'd and taxed

a cat d does not

so cat d is less damage and also is not recorded on the log book unlike cat c

but on the other hand a cat d has not been vic tested

just make sure its been repaired correctly

the vic check only checks to make sure the car hasnt been rebadge onto a stolen or written of car to reduce the risk of ringers. it does not check the integrity of the repair.

#20 replay10

replay10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

thanks for all the advice much appreciated, is the fact the turbo went and issue ? the replacement turbo is not a new unit, is that ok ? cheers again

#21 J.J

J.J

German Engineering at its Best

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

hi,

i would not give more than 3k for a cat d anni.

or in other words, last month i sold a '55 mk5 110 tdi gti lookalike Cat C fully repaired by myself for 4500.

JJ

#22 BigV

BigV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi..... I had a  write-off - repaired cat C before,  it was simply written off due to vandals pouring paint stripper on it - the car was resprayed at looked great.

However, just be aware that MANY people will be put off any kind of Cat D or C car - so they can be difficult to sell on to say the least, although with it being a popular model there will always be some demand.

I was told to pay about 30% LESS for a cat C&D car.....  so for example, if straight cars of the same age & spec are selling for 4.5k you should look to pay £3200..

Just bear in mind that it will be a nightmare to sell on!

edit:  also just to add that the VIC check simply means vehicle identity check -  doesn't tell you how well the car has been repaired!    Also in terms of the actual structure of the car it IS quite possible for a car to only be cat -D with significant damage repaired (rear end shunt), but a higher cat-C with quite minor damage (vandal damage to every panel and smashed windows).      In an ideal world you would get the service history with the car which shows pictures of the damage and invoices for the repairs.

#23 Ross_63

Ross_63

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

I think we're all missing something quite important here. Why would an insurance company decide not to repair it? A car such as this would have a minimum market value of around £7.5k. How expensive was the repair bill for the insurance company to decide it wasn't worth it?

Sounds like it needed a lot more than a few bolt on parts and a bit of paint. I'd look into it in a lot more depth, something smells decidedly fishy to me. I'd also echo Boranik's earlier statement, just because it has a numbered plaque and some valances doesn't make it a supercar. Anni's are a poor buy at the best of times, I don't think I'd touch a V-car registered one with a bargepole.

#24 danny_sims

danny_sims

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2987 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

they write cars of for hardley anything as the approved repairs screw them on repair prices

there are probarly cars on the road that have had more damage and are not recorded than those that have been damaged

find out what the damage was and ensure its been repaired

#25 Ross_63

Ross_63

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

they write cars of for hardley anything as the approved repairs screw them on repair prices

there are probarly cars on the road that have had more damage and are not recorded than those that have been damaged

Even so, you'd need to come up with some very creative accounting to make up £7k+ worth of damage if all you needed was some bolt on parts. Even a VW bodyshop would be able to do rear quarters, bumper, tailgate and valance for less than £3k. There is more to this one than meets the eye.

#26 vw andy

vw andy

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Even so, you'd need to come up with some very creative accounting to make up £7k+ worth of damage if all you needed was some bolt on parts. Even a VW bodyshop would be able to do rear quarters, bumper, tailgate and valance for less than £3k. There is more to this one than meets the eye.

There can be MANY factors why an insurance company would decide to write of a car besides repair values. Although 99% of the time it is down to parts and labour cost.

But heres an example of a car we had wrote of recently at work.......A Mazda MX5 '57' plate, the woman who owned it had run over a suicide jumper on the m way (the third car to do so once the chap hit the road)  who jumped of a bridge leaving the car with very minimal damage to the underside and some small bits of burnt skin on the exhaust. The woman who owned the car refused to take it back whatever the situation as she found it to traumatic. The insurance company said fair do's and wrote it off.

There is sometimes more to it than it seems!

#27 ColdFusion

ColdFusion

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Take a good look around the frontend of the car, its not uncommon for MK4 PD's to crack the turbo casing if they've had a front end smack and the engine gets shoved back, you might not be getting the whole truth...

4k isn't too bad if the rest of the car is in good condition, worst comes to worst you could strip it and get alot of that back.

#28 replay10

replay10

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

Yea it needs a new turbo, maybe theres a link here, im not sure about it now to be honest. thanks for all the help

#29 Blunder

Blunder

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

I personally wouldn't buy it as.

A: Cars with records are worth alot less.

B: You will never be able to trade this in at a dealer or car sellers as they never touch them because of legal hassle.

C: It's a pain in the ass to sell them.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

4k is spot on athink unless u want to pay an extra 2 k for a un damaged one plus theres millions of cars that have been really damaged and not recorded and shouldnt be on the road and people pay top doller  i would check it out and go for it :)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.