#1 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Some of you might know here that my views on the MK7 are such that I have been put off buying this car since its introduction because of suspension noises, wiper et.al. However I am coming to the view that conceivably but hopefully not naively, the earlier faults reported, many times here and elsewhere have been eliminated and is not this model nearly 3 years old at the end of 2015?
I have been looking again at the 1.4TSI Match which, apart from Satnav, metallic paint and Climate Control, has everything I want. I am eschewing sunshine roofs now as I really don't use mine anymore, the only benefit I get is a bit more light in the cabin.
I was wondering just what would a MK8 offer apart from the usual dimensions being increased all round and perhaps being made lower than the MK7 which I already feel more claustrophobic in. A MK7 specced as above would be about £22,660 if I remember correctly but still find some of the cabin controls annoyingly sited compared with the MK6.

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

Most of the motoring press seems to be going with 2018 with the odd 2017thrown in. Given that VW don't seem to suffer from end of model sales slumps like many other makes I'd go for their recent 5 year cycle and 2018

Nobody's expecting anything radical but more a  minor styling and cabin revision to the mk7 (much as the change from 5 to 6) with more technology and new engines for better economy and emissions so at a glance you are likely to see the same strong family appearance of Mks 5, 6 and 7

http://www.carmagazi...from-2018-golf/

#3 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Most of the motoring press seems to be going with 2018 with the odd 2017thrown in. Given that VW don't seem to suffer from end of model sales slumps like many other makes I'd go for their recent 5 year cycle and 2018

Nobody's expecting anything radical but more a  minor styling and cabin revision to the mk7 (much as the change from 5 to 6) with more technology and new engines for better economy and emissions so at a glance you are likely to see the same strong family appearance of Mks 5, 6 and 7

http://www.carmagazi...from-2018-golf/

Thanks for your input and the link. I wish that VW would concentrate on getting the basics right before introducing yet more 'technology'. Of course I forgot to mention what was/is the biggest turn off for me with the current car and that is the Electronic Handbrake and all that - I realise that they are becoming more popular nowadays. How do you find yours operates in everyday driving which hopefully involves some steep hills!

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for your input and the link. I wish that VW would concentrate on getting the basics right before introducing yet more 'technology'. Of course I forgot to mention what was/is the biggest turn off for me with the current car and that is the Electronic Handbrake and all that - I realise that they are becoming more popular nowadays. How do you find yours operates in everyday driving which hopefully involves some steep hills!

well arguably you could say that VW have got the basics right in that starting from the Mk1 the Golf has involved evolution rather than a clean slate design and more people than ever are queueing to buy either new or used and that involves a lot of repeat business

I know what you mean about technology though, you do sometimes wonder how much of it is for the sake of it rather than genuinely beneficial but it is something that customers expect to see and that car makers compete on.

A few years ago I had a top line Ford Mondeo loaded with all sorts of gizmo's  Most pointless IMHO had to be the voice activated controls which were fun until the novelty wore off and I ended up reverting to manual controls and never using it.

Mind you back in the 1950's some "experts" people were saying similar things about car heaters and ventilation and car radios and writing them off as gimmicks. Those were the same "experts" from Britain and America who wrote off the Beetle and VW after WW2 and turned down the chance of taking over the factories and equipment and we know how that ended up.

As far as electronic handbrakes go I can't say I am a great fan, had them and hill hold etc on my last company Passat and found it a clunky and awkward system to use and never really got on with it. Much happier with the flexibility and control of the normal handbrake lever on my Golf 5

#5 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

Ah, that's a shame.You haven't instilled me with any confidence re that Electronic Parking Brake system. I would love to hear of some tales of how they work on 10% inclines and general stop and start driving on inclines

Believe me, I'm ancient now, passing my test in 1955 or was it 1956, I can't remember and so have seen all sorts of 'gimmicks' become the norm and quite rightly so. I remember having to spec my early Austin Healey Sprites with a heater amongst other things and had to buy crude plastic bottles and pumps in order to fit some sort of windscreen wash system and many times fitted intermittent wiper electronic boxes.

No, there are just some thing today that I find a bit nonsensical but have to agree that the 'boys and girls' with their company cars like to spec them up to the hilt with all sorts of goodies, that don't interest me.

#6 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

Don't get me wrong it held fine and never let me down at all just didn't like the button pressing and lack of "feel" you have with a normal handbrake. It was also about 8 years ago and I think it was new on the Passat model at the time so it's quite likely that VW have improved and fine tuned it since.

I had two new cars since (SAAB and Mondeo) and they both had conventional handbrakes

#7 J400uk

J400uk

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

I recently replaced my Mk6 2.0 TDI Match with a Mk7 GTD and have been very happy with it. No issues with the electric handbrake either I should note, it actually makes driving a lot easier in combination with the excellent Auto Hold system. Never need to touch it since it automatically releases when I drive of, holds on hills and then applies itself when you park up and stop. 

I think the Mk8 is still at least 3 years away since the Mk7 was a big release and debut for the MQB platform. There are still quite a few older models in the range that VW need to update first before a new model Golf appears. 

If you want a Match with Nav and Climate I would look seriously at the GT Instead, since it gets both those standard and will be worth more at resale. 

2015 GTD DSG

#8 briantwigley

briantwigley

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Scotland
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

I had a MK4, a MK5 now I have a MK7 and I love the MK7. I wish I had gone for something more powerful than the 1.6 (105) TDi, however the interior features are brilliant. The entertainment system is brilliant and the electronic hand brake is so handy. I drive a van for work and sometimes I try and drive off without taking off the handbrake which is a bit of a laugh sometimes..

When speccing up I noticed it is better as mentioned to go for the GT because when you start adding this and that you end up at practically the same price. 

I moan about the engine but usually get over 70mpg on a run to work on a very hilly 22 mile trip each way at 60 most of the way, so really can't complain about that. 

Golf MK7 SE TDi + Golf MK4 GT TDi 130

#9 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

I'd like the GT purely on internal aesthetics as I like the black fascia finish but the car is that much more expensive and has the bane of my life ie. bigger alloys and sports lowered suspension both of which are anathema to me. I want the softest of drives that is available within reason and the Match, which is well specced, give me that.

#10 colinstone

colinstone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Just ordered the Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI 115PS in Carmen Red and Shetland Grey. Will be interesting to see how it performs. Would have liked the 1.4 ACT but not available in Match and can't stand coal mine interiors - I don't sit in a black living room at home! 

MY2001 Golf IV 5 dr GT TDI 110 bhp.  Canyon Red, beige leather, climatronic, CC.

#11 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

What's the delivery like, I'm assuming you've ordered new.

Know what you mean about interiors. A few years ago I was picking a new company motor and was torn between a Passat or BMW320.

Test drive of the BMW clinched it black seats, carpets, upholstery dash and plastic trim was way too much so I got the VW

#12 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:01 PM

If you're referring to coal mine interiors, when looking at Titan Black then this is certainly not true. Titan Black is a VW misnomer, in my opinion; it is a very pleasant sort of Charcoal Grey at least in the two Golfs I have owned.

#13 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

My GTD is the best golf I've had since my mk1 - and I've had a mk4, mk5 and mk6 since 2000. Everything works and is to hand, comfortable, economical and nippy enough

No complaints here and it's done nearly 30k in 17 months
  • TWONK FEATURES likes this
Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#14 J400uk

J400uk

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

Yep completely agree with the above (2500 miles in just over one month!)

Here in an interior photo, I like the Black

IMG_2001_zps46bjmylg.jpg

2015 GTD DSG

#15 redbutcher

redbutcher

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Agree with Damian - had MKV, MKVI and now MKVII - hands down the best car I've had. First service for mine this week at nearly 19k after 17 months (my mileage has dropped significantly since MKVI days).

Jon

MK7 2.0TDI SE|Urano Grey|Madrid Alloys|Philips bulbs|Chrome exhaust tips|LED Number Plate Upgrade|LED Interior Bulbs|LED Tail Lights|Tints|Folding mirrors|

#16 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

Back to the mk8... the Clubsport (Edition 40) is available next April I think and it's definitely a mk7.

So the mk8 won't be anytime soon.

:)

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#17 olethalb

olethalb

has been

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7414 posts
  • engine bay
  • Other Models

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

just seen pics of mk8 gti on fb and looks horrid :(

lowering a mk4 / air ride / arb questions

https://uk-mkivs.net/...=engine spacers

#18 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:23 AM

Interesting it's a 10 speed DSG.

The mk7 will get a slight facelift next year it seems but it won't be the mk8.

:snack:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#19 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

I reckon 2018, if you think the Mk5 came out in 2004 and was around until 2008 really...(2013 if you discount the Mk5.5)

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#20 Derpins

Derpins

Department of Cheeseburger Consumption

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5677 posts
  • MURICA
  • Golf VI GTI 2.0 210PS

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

Most manufacturers seem to be shifting to 6+ year life cycles, so yeah I'd guess 2018/2019, although 2020 is the horizon for "big, disruptive change" from most brands so I wouldn't be suprised if it was revised within 2 years.

KLsig_zpsisuek4rz.png

Malaise era is best era.

#21 gerrywac

gerrywac

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

Don't think there's any chance that they go back to 40+ year changes like the original Beetle.

VW went through a very bad stage where all the vehicles intended to replace it turned out to be dead ends including their conventional water cooled  intended "saviour" the K70 that nobody likes to talk about.

VW might well have gone to the wall but for  Audi whom they had acquired several years earlier who spawned the Audi 50, adopted as the VW Polo, before the Golf mk1  turned the company around

Probably fair to say we are unlikely to see a repeat as VW Group have now succeeded in knocking toyota off their spot as No1 car maker

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.