Spotted - Silver Golf GTI stealing parts off my car in Asda car park in Bristol - Spotted a fellow member? - uk-mkivs

Photo

Spotted - Silver Golf GTI stealing parts off my car in Asda car park in Bristol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 kirkio

kirkio

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

So I just popped into my local Asda Bedminster in South Bristol to do my shopping. Parked up midway down the carpark under a big floodlight. Popped in and bought my stuff. 

When I came out there was a very similar looking silver MK4 golf parked right in front of mine. Thats odd I thought to myself... but then not that odd as there are so many of them about.  

As I got closer the guy (largeish guy, quite heavy set, red shirt and cap on) and the girl (average height, slim, dark hair) both got into the car. The car was a Silver MK4 with a slightly unusual shiny Blueish coloured VW badge in the front centre and an anniversary style GTI badge with the red I also in the grille. It had pretty scuffed looking paintwork on the front bumper and also I noticed it had a colour coded front splitter below similar to the Anni one.

As I pulled away I glanced to my left to look at the wheels which as far as I could see were Montreals (the same as mine) although they could possibly have been Montreal 2s. I didn't really get a proper look as at that point I got distracted when I realised that my left mirror suddenly wasn't there!... The housing was still there but the glass was missing leaving just the mount and the wiring in place... 

What the hell I thought? It was definitely there when I parked. I pulled around back into a space just in time to see the other golf drive off. My initial thought was that another car must have clipped it when parking so I got out and went back to the space to see but there was no sign of the mirror glass on the floor anywhere. Also the car in the next bay was several feet the other side of the line...

Then I had a proper look at the housing and realised there was no sign of damage to the outside whatsoever so I realised it can't have been clipped by another driver but must have been carefully prised out from the housing so as not to damage it... At that point I realised the guy in the other Golf must have pinched it!

I wondered instantly what other easy to remove parts might be missing from my car (arial / badges / centre caps).. I did a quick glance around the car and sure enough my anni style GTI grille badge is missing too (odd as I spotted the other car already had one), but again it was definitely there earlier when I got in my car to go to the shop!

I spoke to Asda security who said that they have CCTV but that I need to report it to the police and they will need to contact them to look at it. I will do this later. 

I wondered if anyone on here knows a car matching this description (Although to be honest if you do then I expect you probably don't want to grass them up). Still any info that could help me would be greatly appreciated. As far as I can remember the first bit of the plate looked like T811, I didn't catch the rest... :(

#2 used-to-own-a-vr6

used-to-own-a-vr6

??

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

That's terrible. Hope you get the CCTV of the thieving git!

Sig_zpslueag4vz.jpg

Mk2 Driver, Mk3 Driver, Mk3 VR6, Mk4 Gti, Mk5 Gti

#3 Andy_Green

Andy_Green

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Lincoln / Sheffield
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Ive had parts stolen also (US bump strip and side markers), the thief blatantly knew what they were so must have been a fellow dub drivers, it's annoying to put it mildly, sounds like you've had the same done to you. Hope the CCTV gives you some info.

#4 harveysduvet

harveysduvet

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4995 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:50 PM

I spoke to Asda security who said that they have CCTV but that I need to report it to the police and they will need to contact them to look at it. I will do this later. 

Have a read of this and then go back to them - https://ico.org.uk/f...he-public/cctv/

Jon.

dick-dastardly-and-muttley.jpg

BMW 330d Touring // Renault Clio 1.5 DCi Dynamique S

#5 elninochino

elninochino

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Bristol
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear that mate, more so it happened in Bristol! Rarely go to Bedminister Asda as I dont live near there. Not so nice parts surrounding that Asda (some very nice parts though). Wrong place wrong time for you I guess.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

#6 kirkio

kirkio

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

Have a read of this and then go back to them - https://ico.org.uk/f...he-public/cctv/

Jon.

Nice one - So I could say I want the footage of me. As I was parked right in front of him then he should be in it too! 

#7 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts
  • telford
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

Bar stewards!
Hope you get them, serve them right.

I had my roof gutters pinched from tesco near me, then I replaced them and then the n/s one was pinched again along with the ariel at aldi (I think) I gave up and for a year ive been driving round with the one

#8 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:16 AM

Get yourself an in car camera dude. The one I have automatically records even when the car is parked up. Atleast it will give u a chance of some details if they walk in view of the camera

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#9 Boneo87

Boneo87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Colchester
  • Golf IV 1.6 8v AKL 100PS

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

There's some proper nasty people out there!  I hope you catch them mate and if not fingers crossed a nice slice of karma will come their way... 

Dub2%20-%20sign.jpg   Volkswagen Golf MK4 all the way!

#10 harveysduvet

harveysduvet

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4995 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

Nice one - So I could say I want the footage of me. As I was parked right in front of him then he should be in it too! 

Yes.  Although I'm not sure where you'd stand if you were to then take that footage and then post it somewhere on the internet in an effort to identify them.   

If any footage you can get suggests the police may be able to identify the miscreant (legible reg number on his car, for example) then take it to the police and they should follow it up. 

Jon. 

dick-dastardly-and-muttley.jpg

BMW 330d Touring // Renault Clio 1.5 DCi Dynamique S

#11 tbullivant

tbullivant

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Bristol
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Did you ever get anywhere with this? Were the police helpful in anyway? Bristol based also and use bemmie asda

#12 Ger

Ger

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

This happened to me in a public multi-storey car park. Its this car park that I park in for work, and as I work in the CCTV industry I had access to the car park CCTV. I noticed my amber side repeaters had been stolen, and checked the CCTV footage (you can ask for footage as Jon has mentioned by filling a subject access request where you pay a small fee to view the footage). I definitely would not post the footage online as normal passers by may be seen and even the people stealing your mirror have a right not to be posted online!

Best option, and the option I did was access the footage via the proper channels (council / private land CCTV), and then file a report of theft to the local police force. You will get an incident number and the police will try and locate any evidence - where CCTV comes in. If you already know there is CCTV, great, tell the police in the statement. If there is none atleast you have info regarding the theft so the police can keep an eye out for these persons / vehicle.

In the end I caught the offender(s) numberplate via the car park CCTV and the person(s) who stole my repeaters paid compensation. I could have gone further to court as seeing someone else touch my car and to steal parts really did p*ss me off, but offender(s) was dealt with and hopefully won't offend again as they were been caught red handed. Hope this helps and you get it sorted.

6836427041_dfff9fbb2e.jpg

#13 JPSaund

JPSaund

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Loughborough, East Midlands
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.8T AUQ 180PS

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

I had the lower valance nicked off my Anniversary outside my house a few years ago. Nothing I could do to catch them or get it back, no CCTV or anything either. Cost me a fair bit to replace after painting/spraying which is always annoying

#14 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

I had something similar happen to me. One of my wing mirror was stolen and then another mk4 golf parked up the road had it's other mirror taken off. I couldn't believe how cheap some people are that they'd steal a mirror which costs £7 delivered to buy off ebay.

Makes you cautious about leaving valuables in the car.

#15 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

Genuine heated mirrors are £40+ and that was 10 years ago :)

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#16 davemk

davemk

More than a fleeting interest

• Moderators
  • 8758 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

This thread is 4years old so I'm locking it.
uk-audis-banner2.gifA3 Sport 2.0TDI 170 - Gone<p>
A3 Black Edition 2.0TFSI

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.