Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:22 AM

Was out on a drive the other day radio was fine all day selecting stations fine etc.. 

Got back to the car later on and the Gamma was acting strange..

Back light comes on but no station, Fis display off. 

Buttons on the gamma itself werent doing anything.

Flicked to change the station on the steering wheel and it will come on and work? but not from start up like normal?

Preset stations on the gamma seem to have stopped working as well..But you can still select them from the steering wheel?

Seemed to be stuck on FM 2 press the FM button and it would stop working until you change the station on the steering wheel again then it works??

Any one had this before? is my gamma dying? be a shame as i actually quite like it lol but i do have an aftermarket unit i can replace it with but then would i lose the fis display for stations etc and the wheel controls?

Cheers.

Ross

Edited by Elek, 05 November 2015 - 11:24 AM.

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#2 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

I think there used to be an aftermarket interface (possibly "Denison"?) that allowed some aftermarket head units to use the MFSW controls, but not sure which models t was compatible with. Also getting aftermarket radios to display anything on the FIS screen is very unlikely to happen. You could put in another Gamma (though would need to have it's radio code as it's not matched to your VIN number it would request the code the first time you power it up or if you disconnect the battery), or you could put in a VW MFD Navigation head unit, but would need the small extra loom to connect it and a GPS aerial, not a big deal to install if you did want to go that way.

This is my old MFD install guide from back in the day - https://uk-mkivs.net/...-the-glove-box/

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#3 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Apparently the car used to have on before i bought it prev owner took it out and sold it before i viewed the car,, so may still have the harness in not sure..

Might just get another gamma because whats the point in a full fis if you it doesnt show it lol

Just weird how its started acting up, Non of the preset buttons are changing the stations say i have radio 1 on 1 if i swtich to 2 (radio2) the simble changes to 2 but still says radio 1 and wont play lol

But if i change it on the up and down control on the wheel it will change it fine?

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#4 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

Just found an MFD on ebay so bidding now aha if not ill just replace the gamma but would be good to get an MFD in it, probs my fav OEM unit...

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

#5 Elek

Elek

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Sheffield

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

So i bagged the MFD off ebay,

full kit, inc code,keys, regional CD ,Nav antenna, ipod lead to fit cd changer port .. witch is cool cousin or because my changer's multi plug has split so only 4 out of 6 channels work.

Question now is, will i have to leave the cd changer connected while i upload the regional cd? then disconnect it after?

Also can the regional cd be updated? or can you get like an updated disc from vw or anything?

Thanks

Mk3 Kid in A Mk4..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.