#1 The_Parader

The_Parader

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bradford
  • Other Models

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Just wondered if anyone knows what i can do about the rusty Wheel Hubs (i think its the hubs?) on my Golf GTD?

When its parked you obviously can see through the alloys and the hubs have a rusty patina look.

Can they be painted?....anyone have any ideas?

Will add a photo later

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10777 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

The disc bell section?  Could flap it back with a flapper, being careful not to catch the disc.  Then paint with hammerite/VHT paint etc. 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

If you have disc brakes all round then what you see is the disc, the hubs are hidden behind them.

You will always see a small film of corrosion from the unprotected metal disc surface that is gripped by the pads. This can become apparent in only a few hours in damp conditions but will be wiped off very quickly by use of the brakes. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

Good quality discs will generally have some sort of reasonable rust prevention or paint finish applied that should serve without rusting until the discs are worn and replaced.

Cheaper discs often skimp on the corrosion treatment of the centre and can become rusty quite quickly. you can paint the centres (best done from new) if they are already rusty you need to remove the rust as much as possible with a wire brush, wire brush in a drill/angle grinder, coarse wire wool, abrasive paper etc, wipe down with solvent cleaner and then spray with a zinc primer aerosol and then the colour of your choice.

You can also use a metal anti corrosion paint such as hammerite/smoothrite.

If you paint by brush especially you should be very careful to apply thin even coats and avoid runs. The disc faces mate with those on the hub and wheel and thick runs. blobs debris etc may prevent them mating properly and in extreme cases cause run-out and wobble/balance issues

#4 The_Parader

The_Parader

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bradford
  • Other Models

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Hi

Ive added a couple of pics.....i obviously got the name wrong (no a mechanic)...Very nervous about doing it myself but it does let it down when i've washed and cleaned it

Attached File  IMG_1109_small.jpg   42.15KB   7 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1110_small.jpg   64.46KB   6 downloads

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10777 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, that's the bell part of the disc.  As Gerry said, you can just remove the rust with an abrasive, clean and prime and then paint.  No issues at all.  Keep it clean and avoid painting the disc surface.  Any paint you do get on will rub off the first time you apply the brakes.  Try and avoid it though, but don't sweat it if you do.

:)

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.