9 replies to this topic

#1 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

I have put my mk5 2005 golf gti up for sale(swap or px) on gumtree and fb mk5 parts page. Had lots of interest but nothing really good.

Anyway one guy contacted me yesterday with his car details for a straight swap, details below (140bhp tdi 2007). I asked why does he want a swap and said he no longer works 80miles and would like a petrol gti. Seemed fair enough. My car is worth around £3.6k and his £4.2k and he lives around 200miles away, he is willing to come to me and do a straight swap. I also asked if he would put a new mot on as it expires in April. He said yes. Great I thought.

He has provided lots of pictures and said one previous owner being his mum, the car engine, interior and exterior is mint etc. he said it he has some previous aa inspections and lots of receipts and a full history. He assured me it's a genuine sale and that I can arrange my own aa inspection or mechanic to check the car over if I like.

He only asked me if mine was mechanically sound. Does this sound to good to be true?? Or am I being paranoid. I check mot history and it all checks out fine.

Golf gt sport 2007
85k miles
Full service history
drives spot on.
tons of receipts
2 keys
cambelt/flywheel and clutch just been done
serviced 200 mile ago
4 brand new tyres/pads
steering wheel controls/ipod dock
alloys have just been refurbed
has had a full valet since pictures
completely standard has not been abused
even have a certificate that it hasnt been boy raced lol

#2 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

Can't say I've ever swapped a car before but I imagine it's pretty straightforward.

No harm in being a little paranoid though!

I'd assume as long as his car checks out it sounds a valid enough reason to swap. Some people just aren't that meticulous when buying and just want something that works.

Just make sure you do all the checks you can on his car and hopefully you get a positive result.

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

#3 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

It just feels to good to be true. My car is £600 cheaper, higher mileage, willing to come to me and put a new mot on it.

As you say no harm in checking it out.

#4 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50170 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

If you have to ask the question "is it too good to be true",it almost always is.

#5 stevenbmkiv

stevenbmkiv

BMW E90 320d

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Leighton Buzzard'ish
  • Other Models

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Just be careful and do your usual checks.

If he is willing to come to you that isn't a bad thing.

He might be of the thinking that diesels are harder to sell now given the recent VW emissions scandal.

He might have a strong desire to have a GTi petrol model.

He probably realises if he part ex'd his car with a dealer he'd be worse off than px'ing with you.

Do a HPI check on his car, MOT history check too if you are interested.

If it then all checks out and you want to see the car and give it a good visual check and test drive then that is worth considering.

You are not going to lose out if you don't think it's worth swapping.

2006 BMW E90 320d SE

#6 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Ok. Well I asked him for the aa inspection and engine cert on tues night. He replied saying that's fine but at work. So I chased him yesterday afternoon. I can see he read message. Then I chased again this morning, again I can see he read the message. But I have had no reply. And now he has blocked me.

#7 greasy

greasy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • east anglia
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

now is the time that alarm bell is ringing telling you to run a mile, avoid it your already doubting it, read all this and it just sounds too good to be true.

#8 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

What I don't understand is if I didn't ask these questions and he travelled all the way here expecting a swap then I decided not to do it based on whatever reason, how is he exactly trying to con me?

#9 doddy666

doddy666

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts
  • telford
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

Because he can tell you are looking into everything, probably realises he won't con you. He's looking for another mug most likely

#10 ProjectMick

ProjectMick

Multi-tasking. Slowly.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2639 posts
  • Hertfordshire (I'm posh now isn't it)
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

To be honest I'd agree with Doddy at this point - probably realises that you are doing what you should (I.e doing proper checks) and is going to move onto someone else.

25050668945_fc84bd0c02.jpg

Audi TT 225 | four kerbed "alloy" wheels | light scratches and swirls to bodywork | various parking dents | tar spots | slightly cracked seats | crumbs on carpet | kids footprints on glovebox | out of date air freshener | hazy headlights | old faded  number plates | some annoying cabin rattles | some equally annoying cabin squeaks | unpainted calipers | no remap | no boost gauge | standard stereo with mind of it's own | some very annoying dust on/in speedo housing | a glovebox full of other peoples crap belongings that they can't be bothered to take with them when they get out | Bilstein B14 coilovers  :D

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.