High mileage Golf Mk IV estate - scrap or sell for spares? How much? - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

High mileage Golf Mk IV estate - scrap or sell for spares? How much?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Perkin

Perkin

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Golf IV Estate SE 2.0 8v APK 115PS

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

My 2001 Golf Mk IV Estate 1.9 SE estate has done 170000 miles, had several advisories on the MOT last summer (brake discs and pads, both front tyres low, wheel bearing, play in OS track rod) and now the clutch is slipping. The garage quoted me £400+ for the clutch alone and to get it all fixed is more than £800. The car's not worth that.

It's just had a years tax and I want to get that back when I get rid of it. Do I scrap it? Is there a market for these "spares or repair"? How much?

#2 Calico

Calico

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

SCrap value is around £30 as i have just been offered for a car but i would have to drive it to them for that otherwise they will collect for free and not give me dime. I would suggest trying to sell for spares or repair. It shouldn't cost mega money to put right if your tight on money.

#3 matk

matk

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • France
  • Golf IV Estate SE TDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

Its not clear from your post/signature whether you have a petrol or diesel. If it's a diesel, estates with similar miles in reasonable condition are still going for enough money to make it worthwhile you fixing. If you really want to get rid, fix it for £800, then sell it for £1300 in good condition, and get £500 out of it.

If you can break it yourself you'll get a bit more than that, but you'll have to work to strip it, deal with the aggro of selling bits etc.

You can sell as is, and prob get about £400 max if you're lucky. 

If it's a diesel and that is all that is wrong, personally I'd fix it and keep, but then I'm biased as I have an estate trucking along on 233,000 miles!

If however your car is a petrol, then it's value is a lot less than a diesel, so adjust everything I've said downwards…...

#4 Perkin

Perkin

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Golf IV Estate SE 2.0 8v APK 115PS

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

It's petrol, AQY engine. I think I'd spend £800 and have a car worth less than £800   :wacko:

#5 Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

It's petrol, AQY engine. I think I'd spend £800 and have a car worth less than £800   :wacko:

Depends how much cash you have to spend though. Spend £800 on it and you'll have a better car than you would have if you went out and bought a "new" one for £800.

brake discs and pads - DIY for <£100 Less is only front/back not both

both front tyres low (low or illegal?) £80 oponeo + £20 fitting, or if you want to risk it get some part-worns

wheel bearing £120?

play in OS track rod - might pass MOT and if same side as wheel bearing will cost a few quid extra to get done at the same time

and now the clutch is slipping. Fair enough that's going to cost £££

#6 oblish

oblish

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

My dad has an Audi going strong on 300000. Depends how much you like the car to determine if it's worth fixing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.