• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

My Leon tdi has started to over heat, there seems to be a lot of pressure building up in the top pipe going from radiator to the plastic part on the side of the engine, the lower pipe going from thermostat to bottom of radiator is always cold all other hoses are very hot.
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:58 AM

I'd start with a waterpump and thermostat change if they haven't been done in some time

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#3 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Checked thermostat it is opening and closing as it should.
There is a lot of oil in the water but no water in the oil, would this point to the oil cooler?

#4 foxy-stoat

foxy-stoat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:16 AM

Can you feel around the radiator, is it all the same temperature or does it have cold spots?

When changing the state and or water pump flush your heater matrix and radiator.

#5 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Yeh it's pretty much same temperature on all hoses now, I'm starting to think it is the head gasket, I flushed the hole system with the hose and cleaned out the expansion bottle that had a think layer of oil on the bottom but after filling it up with clean water after 15min running the car it's back to the colour it was, I can see the oil colours when it's pouring into the ground.

Having looking at the gaskets is it as easy buying a new one with the same amount of holes?

#6 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yeh it's pretty much same temperature on all hoses now, I'm starting to think it is the head gasket, I flushed the hole system with the hose and cleaned out the expansion bottle that had a think layer of oil on the bottom but after filling it up with clean water after 15min running the car it's back to the colour it was, I can see the oil colours when it's pouring into the ground.

Having looking at the gaskets is it as easy buying a new one with the same amount of holes?

#7 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Not that it's got anything to do with my overheating issue but I have noticed these 2 vac sensors disconnected, the first pick in sure it goes to the egr but second pic the vac line and electrical plug is missing I also seem to missing something just to the right of it?
3f15c174d4d1aab67786c9444384eea1.jpg
161ea26edf72fa3f8ca3f393db0d09db.jpg

#8 Djyo

Djyo

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:36 PM

Just dropped all the coolant out it again And the oil is back in the expansion tank

be0a3c0250da40c17f539ca5224258f4.jpg

I keep see threads about the oil cooler causing these symptoms too but don't understand why it would cause it to overheat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.