[Other] Corrado 1.8t project/conversion advice! - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo
Other

Corrado 1.8t project/conversion advice!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Samoflange

Samoflange

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • West Midlands
  • Bora SE 2.0 8v APK 115PS

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi everyone. Not quite a golf but I've read a few topics on here and thought I'd pick a few brains if I can!

I recently picked up a corrado which had been used as a donor car for something else. Originally I wanted to make it diesel so I bought a golf mk3 td donor car. But after a bit of umming and ahhing I decided against it. I've been offered a 1.8t AGU out of an old Audi A3 at a good price so going for that.

Couple of questions.

At the moment the engine has an auto box on it. Is it just a straight forward swap to a manual box set up? As I've heard that I might have a problem with the crank??

As the corrado had no pedals when I got it, I took them out of the mk3 for the td conversion. Would these pedals be okay? Or would I need to get the ones for an Audi/mk4 golf or would an aftermarket pedal box be a good alternative?

Has anyone done this conversion before that came across any problems that I'd need to know?

If anyone has an advice/suggestions that'd be great.
Cheers :)

#2 TomasLT

TomasLT

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

Judging from the questions you asked, I don't think you could do it yourself.
Just sayin'
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Samoflange

Samoflange

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • West Midlands

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Judging from the questions you asked, I don't think you could do it yourself.
Just sayin'

Thanks for your input, but I've never done a conversion like this and was asking on advice based on what I already have, not judgement on my mechanical skills.

#4 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Well you'll need those, a lot of fabrication, tinkering, homemade parts, welding stuff, so meaning a lot of problems will arise. Too much to go through, so if you're going to do it, just go for it and ask for help when you have a specifical problem. It's going to take a lot of time

#5 Samoflange

Samoflange

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • West Midlands

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Well you'll need those, a lot of fabrication, tinkering, homemade parts, welding stuff, so meaning a lot of problems will arise

That's fine as I'm a welder/fabricator by trade :) the reason I asked about the pedals is to see if they could be adapted to work with the throttle/clutch cables etc or if they were completely different and totally useless.

#6 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Well if you're handy, use your imagination anything can be a pedal if you want to

Edit: i'll bite the bullet this time, mk3 td has cable throttle, mk4 is electric

Edited by TomasLT, 25 June 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.