Relapsing is such a bore, but there we go...
Racekor lyfe is both brilliant and a complete pain. Need to buy a set of wheels? Borrow a mates car. Want new body panels? Borrow a mates car. Find something cool at the other end of the country? Yeah, you get the idea.
So i was looking around for a few options. Moar-door or estate, not particularly brand specific etc etc. Even fuel type was open-ended as my daily routine would make a diesel run low MPG figures.
One thing led to another, and before i knew it, i'd accidentally purchased this poorly old turd:
finest tiredest AGU powered GTI. 165,000 miles, 400 owners (this may or may not be exagerated), optional service history (basically, you can opt to imagine it has it; however from my position, it doesnt), all of the stone-chips you could ever want, sagging Recaros, and a paint job not even a mother could love.
Still, i paid less that it's gonna cost to road-tax for a year, so i guess that's something...
It only has a few other problems too...
- PCV is gacked, blown hoses and all of the grim you could ever want
- Engine mounts are...how you say.....*$%"ked?
- Wishbone bushes; they were present at some point in the car's past. Now they're just metal rings with the teeniest amount of rubber possible to not be classed as "non-existent"
- ABS Light
- Misfires & stutters
- Handbrake position resembles a 14 year old spotted oik taking a wander on his first nudist beach. It's also about as useful as said 14 year old spotted oik
- Front brakes are...yeah....they're present. That's about the kindest thing i can say
- Cigarette lighter socket is unsuprisingly DOA
- Power steering has all the power of a 90-year-old arthritic vet with vietnam-style-flashbacks of exuberence
- Lock modules are, well, it's a mk4 Golf. You figure it out
- Ignition barrel is about as worn out as an 80 year old working girl
- The tyres whilst perfectly legal, are quite old, with ultra-soft sidewalls
- Timing belt wsa probably done in the past, however i fear "past" is probably well over 4 years ago
- Thermostat is either MIA or has failed open
- Heater blower only works on the "4" setting
- AC doesn't work
- Battery-mounted fuseboard is cactus
- Probably much more that i've yet to discover!
So yeah, project/daily/ressurection/lifesupport...