• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

OK so this is a bit of an ambiguous question, but i'm just wondering
what the sort of standard of 1.8T i would be getting for 5k.

Its coming up to the time when i can buy!! :D

From the one's ive looked it they are around T/V reg, and around 80000 miles.

Im sure there will be people who bought these cars on simiar budgets...

thoughts appreciatd.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

Yeah thats seems quite average. I picked up mine for 5300 totally standard fsh t&t 1999 V  with only 46k.  To be honest i dont think this person realised exactly what he had. I shopped around for two months before i bought mine and the most common seemed to have around the 70k mark for the 5k price tag aslo with the older 1.8T the AGU model has strongel internals so are able to withstand the bigger turbo upgrades if your looking to get aroung the 270bhp range.Good luck on finding your car mate

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for that, sounds like you got a real bargain!

I might get a remap but that would be about it to be honest, not THAT much of a speed freak :P

Saw some lovely ones yesterday but they were like 51 reg and 8k..and I
notice that in these newer 1.8Ts the seats are different and don't have
"Recaro" stitched into them?

I can start seriously looking in a few weeks and im in no rush to buy,
so perhaps I can find a cracking deal like you did...might have to
travel a bit though!!

Any other comments?

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

5k is what I am looking for for mine, so the above is about right.

Mine is a 99V, done 79.5k, with full leather, 17" Momos, tints, and FSH.  Also just had TT brakes on the front.

I was offered 4500 trade in - reckon I could push this to 5000 if I tried.

Only prob is there are some dogs out there now at this age, so I would look twice and buy once (like when you are measuring and cutting something!!).

[:D]

#5 sam_46

sam_46

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

I'm having the same problems with finding 1.8T GTi. The cheaper ones have really high mileage or they are sold already. I can go up to 6K though.

I went and looked at one the other day for 5995. 2001, black one, leather seats etc. It is advertised in a well known magazine as having FSH, HPI checked and only 50,000 miles. When I got there the bloke didnt have HPI certificate, he was gonna print me one off later.
There was no service history, just a duplicate history book that looked like it had just been filled in and stamped with dodgy stamps. The car was in good condition, apart from some wear on the drivers seat. Anyway I did a HPI check and the last 7 records they had of it were all above 50K miles. The last recorded mileage was 114K!!!!!! Things with clocking it is then you don't know when something needs changing etc.
I didnt bother ringing the bloke back. So glad a spent a few quid getting it checked.

I'm off to look at another one tomorrow from a proper dealer, if it hasn't been sold already. [;)]

#6 Drysdale

Drysdale

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:30 AM

I'm going to have a look at a 1998 1.8 T 3 door with FSH and 57k on the clock for 4600 on Thursday! Had it HPI checked and its come back fine. Electric sunroof too :P

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

I'm off to look at a 3 door, reflex silver with black leather tonight.

70k miles on a 2000 W plate with FVWSH.

Guy is asking 5k.

It's my friends boss and hes getting a company car,....he is the only owner since new which is good, but the car isn't fully paid for yet so it might mean waiting for it!!

#8 one_eight_turbo

one_eight_turbo

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

Im in the same situation. Got about 5500 to play with. want a 2001 1.8T.

How are the 1.8T's on high milage? Found a great one for 4500 1 lady owner, perfect condition, 2001, but 100,000 (motorway) miles on the clock. Worth it?

More than a fleeting interest

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6881 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

Im in the same situation. Got about 5500 to play with. want a 2001 1.8T.

How are the 1.8T's on high milage? Found a great one for 4500 1 lady owner, perfect condition, 2001, but 100,000 (motorway) miles on the clock. Worth it?

4200 and you can have mine (don't think my buyer is coming up with the goods). 109k, motorway miles, recaro's, 2001, 1.8T, good condition, can provide you with a link to the full spec. Obviously my buyer might come through yet but he's being difficult to contact [:(]

Obviously if the buyer came through by the end of the week (I did say 7 days) then I would have to sell to him.

#10 one_eight_turbo

one_eight_turbo

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

Can i have a link to the spec please and some photos.

Thanks!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6881 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

Can i have a link to the spec please and some photos.

Thanks!

Sent you a PM, you will need to click on 'Inbox' at the top right of your screen.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:27 AM

Perhaps i'm being fussy but i've not came accross a minter locally yet...

I've been to look at 3, saw one last night which was in good nick but not had cambelt done and had a broken wingmiror....on the plus side it has 69k miles with FVWSH.

He's asking 5 grand but says he will sort all the issues and service it before hand...

IT has a multilock which has scuffed the leather, other than that the interior is mint.

Only bad bit on the outside is that it looks like brake dust has fused onto the paint on the passenger door lower sill next to the wheel arch - what could be done about that?

Perhaps i'm expecting too much for 5k?

Fraz on here has a minter but its got higer miles than i wanted - 115k...

Anybody selling one in the north east for around the 5k mark?

#13 J15MES

J15MES

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

depends what you call high millage ? On a modern engine 100k isn't high millage. I do 60+ miles per day in my Golf and it's got 128,000 miles on the clock. It's running really well still and still pulls hard. I am getting it chipped next week. As long as the water pump, cambelt and maybe the oil pump have all been changed and the car has regular oil changes with decent grade oil then you should be fine.

Don't let millage put you off, but be put off by poorly maintained cars without much history.

Good luck

James

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6881 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:24 AM

Perhaps i'm being fussy but i've not came accross a minter locally yet...

I've been to look at 3, saw one last night which was in good nick but not had cambelt done and had a broken wingmiror....on the plus side it has 69k miles with FVWSH.

He's asking 5 grand but says he will sort all the issues and service it before hand...

IT has a multilock which has scuffed the leather, other than that the interior is mint.

Only bad bit on the outside is that it looks like brake dust has fused onto the paint on the passenger door lower sill next to the wheel arch - what could be done about that?

Perhaps i'm expecting too much for 5k?

Fraz on here has a minter but its got higer miles than i wanted - 115k...

Anybody selling one in the north east for around the 5k mark?

Sorry to sound harsh but I think you are being fussy. You have a limited budget and want it all. If you want a new car, go buy a new car, not an 8 year old one.

#15 one_eight_turbo

one_eight_turbo

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

I have around 5.5k to spend and am being fussy just like you. There are bargins about you just have to persist in finding them!

I wont give up. I even want lether interior with about 70/80k miles for that money. [:D]

We can all dream. Give it a week or 2 and il come back down to earth and buy 1 with 100k+ miles.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:04 AM

Its not that i'm being OVERLY fussy but I want the best I can get for my money.

I don't want a new car, I can't afford one!!

I've seen better for the same sort of price so I don't want to settle for something and then see a much better one a week later!

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:58 AM

Just had a friend tell me that his dads firm had an 03 GTTDI 150 with 65k miles in immaculate condition that they needed to sell quickly, he mentioned i was interested, but then a dealer came ready to buy and its now sold within just 2 bloody days!!

Wanted only 6k to shift it, and thats do-able :(

GUTTED!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:04 AM

thats a shame, sounded like a right gud deal, u aint having much luck! u tryed todays a,trader seen a few gud golfs in there ?

#19 BORA_TOM

BORA_TOM

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:06 AM

bound to at that price though ! suprised it took 2 days

#20 one_eight_turbo

one_eight_turbo

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:09 AM

Every time you blink life well and truly kicks you in the nuts.

KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:12 AM

theres a 1.8t on trader with 64k in a dark blue, from oakwood traders! they want 4999.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:18 AM

heres another really smart 1 in silver , heres spec.

1999 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.8 GTi 3dr Hatchback,

76,000 miles, Silver. PAS, Trip computer, fsh, airbags, 12months mot, long tax, factory cd player, full elecs, CL, excellent condition, just serviced, abs, 2 owners, alloys, sunroof, recent new tyres. 4,600

looks real nice!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:21 AM

AND another 1 lol ......in dark blue

1999 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.8 T GTi 3dr Hatchback,

50,000 miles, 1999 s reg, 3 door,50'000 miles with full service history with 4 stamps and next service not due until jan 07,mot until sept 06 and tax until july 06, climate control, air con, recaro interior, trip and mpg computer,16" alloys,very good condition and any inspection welcome, hpi clear. 4,995. ono

#24 djhorace

djhorace

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3934 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:23 AM

How about some rocking horse crap for a little more?

2003 53 Reg SEAT Toledo 1.8 20v T Sport

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 10,800 miles, Metallic Silver. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Climate control, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control, Cloth upholstery.Insurance Group:15, 180 BHP. 7,495.

Tel: 01252 612400

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

AND another 1 lol ......in dark blue

1999 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.8 T GTi 3dr Hatchback,

50,000 miles, 1999 s reg, 3 door,50'000 miles with full service history with 4 stamps and next service not due until jan 07,mot until sept 06 and tax until july 06, climate control, air con, recaro interior, trip and mpg computer,16" alloys,very good condition and any inspection welcome, hpi clear. 4,995. ono

That looks very nice....

but how can it have FSH with only 4 stamps if its 8 years old? I've emailed the guy anyway, that looks cracking for 5 grand.

It looks like im gona have to travel....the North East is apparently the dogs a*se of golf gtis lol

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

I think it must just be sods law! If you are looking for a specific car you can find 10 that are all similar, but not quite there, but none that are perfect - they are all either too many miles, or a little over priced, or a bit tatty, etc etc.

I am in the same boat - looking for an A4 diesel cab in black or red - must have leather and be below 35k mileage.  First one I looked at was the right price, but tatty and no service history, and now am struggling to find any.  I could have a choice of petrols, or a choice of blue or silver diesels, but I have my heart set on black (pref) or red as a second option.

Can't find one for love nor money - missus wants to go and have a look at a blue one but I have refused (so far!) to budge.

Makes you wonder as to whether it is worth holding out, or settling for second best?

PS- Chris - cheers for the PM mate - I will keep you informed as my search goes on!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6881 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:48 AM

Ok, question for you lot on about low mileage.

Most of you have stated that for 5k, all you can find is cars over 100k. What your not looking at most probably is the age of the cars over 100k.

Why is it better, in your view, to go for an older car with 60k on the clock than a newer car with 100k on the clock?

Personally I have always taken the newer car with higher mileage. Why?

1. High mileage on newer cars means good mileage in 95% of cases. Cruising down the motorway in fifth gear most of its life.

2. Lower mileage on older cars tends to state town driving, using all gears all the time, more wear and tear on the car.

3. Your buying an older car, in this case, 1998 compared to a 2001/2002 model.

Older car means older engine, means older parts. Just because it has 40k less on the clock, it does NOT mean that those parts haven't been used less, if not more in a lot of cases.

Also, buying a car around 60k means cambelt, water pump, clutch (normally around 70-80k on a town driven/ short journey low mileage old car).

I don't get what the obsession is with mileage, probably because I have always been told, by my dad and also my uncle (mechanic) to go for the higher mileage fleet cars. I have never had a problem with any of them, normal problems but nothing like gearboxe's falling out or gaskets going, nothing serious. My most problematic car was a 7 year old car which I bought with 55k on it. Talk about eating my money up and spent loads of time in the garage.

#28 sam_46

sam_46

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

If you do find a low mileage one it may be worth your while doing a HPi check. See my previous post. [:|]
 I was fussy with the car I wanted and there weren't many around my way. I'd been looking for months but wasn't prepared to travel over 100 miles to view them.

More importantly I'm happy with the one I got.[:D]

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, HPI check is a must!

A friend of my dad has his own dealership, so i can get it all done for free...which is nice!

#30 BORA_TOM

BORA_TOM

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

How about this one, i know it's got high miles but it's a good price

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

The owner's a sound decent bloke too.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.