Gareth Derwas

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hi, please help!!!!
I have a 2003 2.8 V6 4motion. It starts and runs fine when the weather is ok but now it's cold when I try to start it the engine will fire up and run for about 1 second but then cuts out. If i try to start it again it just turns over for about 10 seconds and then sometimes will fire up and run ok or I have to repeat the cycle again and again until it starts. This morning however it's very cold so it won't fire up at all, just keeps turning over.
I've replace the water temp sensor but it's not helped.
Any help greatly received.
  • Mzungu likes this

#2 Mzungu

Mzungu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • essex
  • MKI Models

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:19 AM

Hi, please help!!!!
I have a 2003 2.8 V6 4motion. It starts and runs fine when the weather is ok but now it's cold when I try to start it the engine will fire up and run for about 1 second but then cuts out. If i try to start it again it just turns over for about 10 seconds and then sometimes will fire up and run ok or I have to repeat the cycle again and again until it starts. This morning however it's very cold so it won't fire up at all, just keeps turning over.
I've replace the water temp sensor but it's not helped.
Any help greatly received.

#3 Mzungu

Mzungu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • essex
  • MKI Models

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:03 AM

I have the same problem on a 1999 1.6 petrol I have changed coil pack HT leads plugs crank sensor cleaned intake/ throttle body it has spark at plugs but will not start when cold, once started no problem all day until next morning I am thinking what next relay? fuel filter? fuel pump? any suggestions warmly welcomed

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10318 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:34 AM

did the both of you try and check the ecu for faults? a non starting engine is either cam or crankshaft sensors being intermittent... but it could simply be the fuel pump not priming (listen for it when you turn the key to contact setting one) and if it finally starts and runs fine all day it means the inside of the offending sensor is broken and only works fine when the car is warm (read the warm temperature has made it expand) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.