7 replies to this topic

#1 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

Basically my selector arm has dropped inside gearbox 6 speed , so its gearbox off job , was thinking since the box is being split might treat myself to a limited slip diff , just wondering if anyone has one fitted to there golf , what's the best for the money etc , at the moment I am running around 270,

On a side note anyone brought theses or would I be wasting money
http://www.darksided...fter-forks.html
Just want to future-proof the box ,

#2 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Uprated selector forks are a great idea.  The darkside ones are a copy of the USD part from the states but should work fine.  Regarding diff's I personally don't run one due to cash flow and spending cash on other power mods ;) I'm only at 250hp .  Tim Snr used to have a peloquin one if his 225hp Gora and that was very well behaved.  I've driven a Quaife one in a 220ish Fabia and it was a little unruly.  The other one that is quite interesting is the Wavetrac unit, though DSD have just released a plate diff that could also be worth a sniff.  Whatever option you go for I'd recommend getting the ESP coded out or it will fight with the diff.

HTH

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#3 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Think I won't bother with diff , are the uprated forks any cheaper from states , they just look like weld versions? So I could just get mine welded up or bolts fitted instead of pins ,

#4 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Oem forks are brass fingers riveted to steel rods. So the only option is to bolt and weld them. The only risk then is the brass finger snaps and falls into the box.
I haven't checked the prices in the US recently as I'm currently looking at cams.

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#5 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

It ended up being the brass finger that snapped , so it had new diff bolts and lock bolts too , ended up not doing lsd, as too much

#6 fokker

fokker

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Essex
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:27 PM

02J with a Wavetrac LSD for sale if anybody is interested- Unfortunately I haven't got enough forum replies to post on "Items for sale"

Can remove and replace the original 5th gear and lower the price somewhat. Please Pm for more info or questions.

Link removed from ebay as it's in violation of their terms and conditions

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10430 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

An old thread so will likely be locked.

Will that gearbox actually sell at that price?  I'm not trying to be rude (although it always comes across that way) but I trashed 8/9? 02Js and if they weren't free or 50 quid I wasn't buying them.  Stripped teeth off third and that was with a baby turbo.  They hate abuse.  Is this one stronger inside?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#8 fokker

fokker

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Essex
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:03 AM

Been running it on a GTB2260 with approx 270bhp and 450-500nm torque and never had any issues. A common weakness it that the rivets give way, punching a hole on the way out potentially leaving you spinning out of control yes... I'm sure it comes down to driving style as well, you can break anything if you try hard enough.

Need to remove the link. thought been reprimanded by ebay bots scanning the net for links :(

"2 of your listings contain(s) contact information such as phone number, email address or weblinks, which is in violation of listing policies. Non-compliant listings will soon be blocked."

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.