In the voice of Taggart......."There's been a murderrrrrrr"[:DD]

#32 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

NorthernPhil that's fine, no rush! Need to get my mitts on a loom and fit the reservoir first before worrying about getting it up and running. I imagine it's the auto levelling which is going to be a massive pain...

Also subscribed, if it looks anything like the photoshops you're onto a winner!

#33 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts
  • Bora SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Also subscribed, if it looks anything like the photoshops you're onto a winner!

I'm working on the idea of "If it turns out half as good as Olly's, then I'll be really happy". Email sent by the way.

#34 pchende

pchende

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Brilliant build, very impressive [Y]

#35 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Brilliant build, very impressive emotion-21.gif

Not just yet, but it will be... I hope...

Pic of the headlights at the mo, subject to minor changes:

DSC00565_zpsee46104a.jpg

Indicators are actually black, the orange is showing only because of the camera flash.

#36 Timepillow

Timepillow

Kitty-wake!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4162 posts
  • Cheshire
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

great build mate im watching this one :D

UK-MKIV-1_zps9ffdaeb7.jpg

^ ^ ^ My GT Build Thread ^ ^ ^ 

#37 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Headlights look really good bud!

#38 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys. Forum etiquette demands new pics, so here's a few quick ones. Quality is a bit naff due to it being a camera phone in bad lighting conditions though:

DSC00576_zps65cbe421.jpg

DSC00574_zps9bbfaef9.jpg

DSC00572_zpse2be3166.jpg

Oh, and I have decided to paint the ridged part on the high-beam reflector well. I did a couple of experiments earlier on and their is no difference in light output or beam pattern, so I guess it's just for show. Annoying, as I went through all the ballache of masking it up prior to the original painting. Had the masking been 100% perfect, I'd probably leave it, but that tiny bit of haze/crinkle is annoying the hell out of me every time I see it.

#39 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

Well, this is it. Work starts at 10am tomorrow (ish). I'll get some better pics sorted to replace the ones above on the morrow.

Currently excited and terrified in equal amounts- these are the first major modifications afterall.

#40 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Keen to see this, be sure to update with lots of pics! Headlights look good, hard to say without seeing them on the car though... bet you're anxious to see the outcome [:)]

#41 vinords

vinords

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

was there much in splitting the lamps?..was there an oven used??

#42 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

Splitting the lamps was a bugger, because the front panel mated so well with the main body- there was hardly room to get the knife and scraper in.

Yes, an oven was used, but the sealant didn't soften. I ended up using the oven to make the black plastic of the body more pliant/forgiving, so that I could bend it slightly to get the blades in.

I'll put up a mini-guide once I've finished the work. Should be some time around thursday.

#43 vinords

vinords

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

cool!

i was thinking of doing the same with mine but heard they were a pain to split..i got another set of standard ones that i might just break up and just break the lense from the xeons..

#44 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:24 AM

It's not that hard once you have one side seperated, as the sealant does split/tear quite nicely. But getting that first side done can be  a pain- one of mine was really hard to get done, but the other was very easy.

#45 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

Well, the xenon retrofit is finished. All went well, though delayed by rain for sometime as the only place I had sufficient room to work was outside. I'll be doing a write-up/record/guide in the next few days. It's an easy enough job, just a little expensive.

Murdering didn't quite happen. TMTuning sent me the wrong side indicators so I still have the crystal ones on the car, and I ran out of money so I couldn't get the Monty II's refurbed. Ah well, can't win em all I guess.

Also made a decision on engine upgrades. In the original post I said that my engine/drivetrain mods were both secret and more than a little crazy. The original plan had been to take a 3.0L V6 TDI engine and Quattro components from an A4, and scrag a Bora 4Mo rear floorpan from somewhere, and come up with a 450+bhp Quattro MONSTER, with enough torque to pull a house down and quad tailpipes (just for sh*ts and giggles). Regardless of the costs, I wanted to do it just to see what I could create.

Unfortunately, recent research and calculations have deemed it, frankly, impossible. While the V6 ENGINE fits in the bay nicely, the gearbox doesn't- I'd have to extend the front end by 12-18 inches, which just isn't possible. Shame really...

So I'll be tweaking the PD, see if I can get it to 300bhp. 4Mo/Quattro conversion is still on the table at this time.

#46 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/product_8vGTBturbokit.htm

And where are the pics of these lights on the car!?

#47 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

At 2 grand I'm a little way off that yet. I'll sort out some pics shortly, lunch + interior refit + headlight alignment to do yet.

#48 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

You me both bud. I'm just hoping by the time i'm ready to go to that level (i.e. SMIC, clutch, perhaps even LSD), that others have fitted it and found it to be a bit Ronseal (does what it says on the tin).

#49 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Aye, well, insurance says I'm miles off- I may be almost 24 and live in a good area, etc., but it's still my first car and first policy (only passed my test September 2010).

With regards to prep for the big turbo, I'm more likely to skip uprated SMIC and go straight to FMIC in one form or another (150 FMIC/rad pack would be a nice start), as the fog lights in the planned Bora R bumper will seriously impact on air flow to a SMIC.

#50 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Pretty much my reasoning too bud. My rad has a leak, so i sold the uprated SMIC (plus i just couldn't get it to sit right) with a view to getting a PD150 rad-pack/FMIC. Hell if the big-boys running north of 250 are happy with them + a hard pipe kit, they must be pretty good!

A good map and an exhaust will keep you happy for a while though bud.

Heck even without those, the FMIC and clutch upgrades are something you can do early without penalty from the insurance (in theory).

#51 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

At the mo thinking: DSG Snorkel, panel filter, blast the current turbo with Innotec and have a search for any boost leaks, 150 FMIC or 1.8T pancake for the SMIC if I can't find a 150 FMIC in reasonable time.

Exhaust I haven't really thought about yet (hell, I haven't given the engine upgrades any serious thought yet), though I know the standard one is fairly constrictive. Probably drop the EGR and maybe the cat at some point too.

At the mo though, I'm happy doing my interior/exterior upgrades- pain in the arse about that is that there are several full black leather R32 interiors up for grabs right now, but I don't have the cash.

#52 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

Couple of quick snaps, taken in the sun last night. Still painting the boot and grille badges, so no pic whoring at this time. Install pics will come later on (writing a guide/record at the mo).

Xenons:

DSC00687_zps67d591dd.jpg

Rears:

DSC00688_zps7f2422fe.jpg

Comments have been made about the front end now looking a little bit like a BMW, but I'm not entirely convinced. I do know one thing though- when the headlight washers fire, the bonnet gets covered. I may need to adjust them a bit.

#53 nabz

nabz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

hi. am after these lights.. where is the best place to look

#54 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

Rear clusters or the xenon headlights? The rear units I bought from Eurowagens, the headlights I snagged on ebay. But be warned, the OEM xenon lights are rare as rocking-horse sh*t, so if you're after a set of them be prepared to wait a while (and pay up to £360 for the lights w/ballasts).

#55 Bullit

Bullit

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • Bora SE 1.6 8v APF 100PS

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:54 AM

I like this and the R line kit will look fantastic!! Where the hell did you get the headlight covers from!?!?!?! I've been searching everywhere (including US and German eBay) for a set!

#56 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Ebay mate. Spent 3 months looking, and then a set popped up. I think I was the only bidder too...

She'll look even better at the end of July, so keep an eye out [;)]

#57 nabz

nabz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

hi. am after these lights.. where is the best place to look

#58 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

Rear clusters or the xenon headlights? The rear units I bought from Eurowagens, the headlights I snagged on ebay. But be warned, the OEM xenon lights are rare as rocking-horse sh*t, so if you're after a set of them be prepared to wait a while (and pay up to £360 for the lights w/ballasts).

#59 Bullit

Bullit

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • Bora SE 1.6 8v APF 100PS

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:54 AM

I like this and the R line kit will look fantastic!! Where the hell did you get the headlight covers from!?!?!?! I've been searching everywhere (including US and German eBay) for a set!

#60 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Ebay mate. Spent 3 months looking, and then a set popped up. I think I was the only bidder too...

She'll look even better at the end of July, so keep an eye out [;)]

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.