#61 Bullit

Bullit

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • Bora SE 1.6 8v APF 100PS

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

I will do. Sigh if you see any on ebay, by chance give us a shout! ive been looking for over a year now :-(

#62 Jord_C

Jord_C

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hello aviva buddy [:)]

Car looks great i must say! Love what you've done so far! 

#63 Gman1982

Gman1982

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4014 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

love the head lights mate,  think the OEM xenons look far to shiny anyway which is why i dont really have the love for them.  yours look really good.  

Well played that man! 

#64 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts
  • Bora SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

I will do. Sigh if you see any on ebay, by chance give us a shout! ive been looking for over a year now :-(

No probs Bullit, if I see some I'll fire you a PM off.

Hello aviva buddy emotion-1.gif

Car looks great i must say! Love what you've done so far! 

Thanks Jord, but the big works are only just starting. Hopefully changes will start coming in thick and fast in the near future- and I've got some big stuff planned for the next 6-10 months. How much did your quote come to in the end? Did you get the Rapid Bonus policy?

love the head lights mate,  think the OEM xenons look far to shiny anyway which is why i dont really have the love for them.  yours look really good.  

Well played that man! 

Cheers G, I think the lights came out great, but they were a right headache to do- and I'm still thinking about splitting them again and redoing the black paint. They look much better with the protectors off, but given the expense, I'm only planning on taking them off when I'm at a meet/show. And I agree they look far too shiny in their basic guise- they really need to have the Anni style edging at the very least. But once I started down the Murdering path, it became apparent that that would be insufficient: all-black car with massive chrome blocks on the front would've looked daft.

For those still waiting on my Xenon Retrofit record/guide: I am working on it. The original Word file became corrupted somehow, so I'm having to redo it. Should be finished and uploaded by tonight though. I'll probably be posting it up in the Lighting section, but putting a link to it in here. Oh, and I've written it from the perspective of using the Kufatec looms, but I'm including info on building the looms/adapters/etc. too, so it should be useable by everyone.

#65 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well, I didn't finish the guide/write-up: my brother came round yesterday afternoon and, well, we ended up getting a tinsy bit sloshed... And then today's BBQ lunch turned into an all day thing while discussing the finer points of the differences between BMWs and VWs, etc...

Dissection of my digression (and procrastination) aside, I'll be finishing the guide as soon as I can, though I'm on shift the next 4 days so it might take a while- I've done about 16 A4 pages so far, so nearly there...

Oh, and I've got the next £750 worth of bits lined up, I just need the cash now...

#66 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

"Executed" says it all really. The [not quite] Murdering is complete.

Been sorting my newly satin black powdercoated Montreall II's and installing JOM coilovers this weekend. Finished today, currently about 1 inch drop all round, but that's only because I ran out of time. Planning on adjusting tomorrow to 30mm out back and 35-40mm up front.

No pics yet though, except for a s elect few because a) the car is filthy, and B) I have an ego and I want to see reactions first hand at the Guildford meet next month. [:D] Pics after then though.

#67 madman

madman

TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8901 posts
  • Area 51
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:36 AM

oooh!!! you tease...[snack]

#68 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:55 AM

Indeed, I think I've been hanging around Tim too long. [:P]

#69 Jord_C

Jord_C

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Jord, but the big works are only just starting. Hopefully changes will start coming in thick and fast in the near future- and I've got some big stuff planned for the next 6-10 months. How much did your quote come to in the end? Did you get the Rapid Bonus policy?

Plans sound great Keep me tuned! Got my quote for £1.5k, so im with them on a 12monther! 
Got my alloys declared, and debadge at the minute, and ringing up next week about my latest stuff so all is okay!   

#70 LEBMK4GTI

LEBMK4GTI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

[y] nice one mate!!! I like the headlights!!!

#71 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

As promised, pics:

The one in the dark was taken just after I'd finished the install, before I'd adjusted the height. Second two are a before and after- angle on the comparison is not great (side shot rather than more of a 3/4 view).

DSC00725_zpsbbb74bed.jpg

DSC00432_zps0dc4100c.jpg

DSC00726_zps9c05c4b2.jpg

#72 pi5toff

pi5toff

London Refurbs'

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5615 posts
  • Golf V GTI Edition 30 2.0 230PS DSG

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:53 AM

Love the black on black as you can see from my car :)

Peter

332bhp 355 ft/lbs RTech Edition 30.

#73 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Indeed. Only issue I have with the look is that my tyres now look like balloons!

#74 madman

madman

TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8901 posts
  • Area 51
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

gets some black shoe polish on the tyres they will blend in more [:)]

#75 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

I have applied some tyre paint since that photo was taken, but they still look a bit... big...

#76 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

For those waiting for my OEM Xenon retrofit guide, here is a link: Link to Guide.

The guide is subject to revisions.

#77 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Quick updates and some spitballing.

Getting used to being lowered now. Even though I'm not really low, I'm still avoiding certain roads due to silly sized/badly positioned speedbumps/potholes though. Not had any movement on the strut nuts or the rear perch bolts, so looks like everything is dandy. Handling is muchly improved, even though I only have the JOMs, nothing fancy.

The car had been developing an over-revving issue, largely at idle. Did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that it was probably the coolant temp sensor at fault. Got a green one earlier in the week, and not had the issue since, so that's one thing off the list I guess.

May also be showing very early signs of dodgey DMF- gonna see if I can catch it on video at some point and get a proper diagnosis. If it is on it's way out, then I will use this as an opportunity to fit an uprated clutch/DMF combo (currently looking at a Black Diamond/Sachs combo), before the major Go mods next year.

Which brings me to the next point. For the next major project, which way should I go: Show or Go?

Show project would be:

• Bora R Front Bumper.
  • Bora R Rear Bumper.
  • R32 Side Skirts.
  • Oettinger spoiler (already have this, but it need painting).
  • Bora R fogs.
  • Sort out the radio antenna (either shark fin or deletion and roof smooth).

Go project would be:

•  DSG intake mod.
  • PD150 FMIC/Rad pack swap.
  • Hardpipe kit for FMIC.
  • EGR delete.
  • Oil catch can.
  • Boost gauge.

Also plan on retrimming the pillars and headlining in black at some point (and obviously replacing the roof fittings with black variants). Oh yeah, I need some spacers too- going for 12mm up front and 20mm out back. I can't decide which way to go on the next "project" though. The Show mods would get the exterior finished, but the Go mods need doing before the exhaust/remap gets done next year (and possibly new turbo).

Any input would be appreciated.

#78 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I've always been a go person, but I have to say, the show project sounds pretty immense. Depends what you're after ultimately? Is the car in the current form fast enough / are you happy with how it looks?

#79 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

Am I happy? Yes and no, hence the modifying!

On the show side: I love the bora, even if it is a little on the small side, I think it looks good with the standard body, but great with the R kit (but with the Oettinger spoiler- the real Bora R spoiler is a bit too ricey). But one thing I cannot stand is the cream/grey parts of the interior.

On the go side of things... To be honest, I miss the punch I used to have when that crappy tuning box was fitted (potential premature wear aside). Now she's back to 130 it's not quite as fun. I still love to drive the car, and it still gets a bit of punch, but something is lacking... know what I mean?

Both projects will be getting done, it's just that I can't decide on the order to do them in.

And ultimately? A 4WD daily diesel with 300 ponies under the bonnet would be lovely.

#80 pchende

pchende

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Why cant you do a bit of both, Pick one from the Project list and once that is done. Pick one from the go list etc etc... It will take a little longer to complete both projects but you will improving both a little bit at a time.

#81 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Most of the Go stuff is tied in to each other. Only the DSG mod and the catch can are seperate enough to do that with (and to a certain extent, the gauge). The FMIC upgrade involves taking the whole front end off and changing the lock carrier, so I'd want to do at least the hard pipe kit at the same time, and probably the EGR delete too.

Similar thing on the body parts. My bora is black magic pearl, so I really want to get everything sprayed at once so that there are no discrepancies in the colour.

#82 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

Decision made. Go Project is going to be done first, given that the Bora R fogs may restrict/disrupt airflow to the SMIC. With this in mind, this is the new planned order of mods (subject to Insurance for the changes being sensible):

1. Wheel spacers.
  2.  DSG Intake Modifications, Panel filter, etc.
  3. PD150 Rad Pack upgrade w/ Hardpipes, EGR Delete, Oil Catch Can, and Boost Gauge (NS Indigo, to match OEM backlights).
  4. Interior retrim (pillars and headlining), w/ Secret-Special-Thing-Which-I've-Not-Seen-On-A-MKIV-Before.
  5. Bora R bodykit w/ Bora R fogs, Oettinger boot spoiler and (possibly/probably) LCR Splitter.
  6. Sharkfin/Antenna delete & roof smooth.
  7. Custom Turbo-back exhaust (running either de-cat or flow diverter module [Insane Ideas Inc. strikes again] ).
  8. R32 Brake upgrade (likely requiring bigger wheels- 334mm calipers won't fit in 16" Monty II's will they?).
  9. Remap.
  10. LUNACY!

The "LUNACY!" point stands in for the bigger turbo, nozzles, head-work, fabrication, floor-tearing, and general INSANITY which will get the car to breach 200 ponies and sail onto 300 and 4WD.

Any suggestions, hints, tips, etc. on the above are welcome.

#83 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

4WD? Okay.. you just got my attention [:P]

Really want to know what the secret special thing is, is it by any chance massage bead seat covers? [:DD]

2. I'm going to be running DSG intake setup and a k&n panel filter next month and will most likely be talking loads about it..so you'd be welcome to ask questions, unless you beat me to it!

8. Aye you'll need 17s, might be worth looking at LCR bremos, although I'm not sure if they also need 17s!

#84 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

To be fair, I'll need bigger wheels before I get the remap: ~190bhp on 16x6.5's will result in a lot of wheelspin and not a lot else in all likelihood...

#85 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Ah yes, this is true, not something I've experienced with the 4mo but I often hear that it's not uncommon to light the wheels up in 3rd with a fairly high power fwd mkiv...

In that case why are you going to plump for spacers first? Or are the new wheels a fair old way ahead in the future?

I definitely noticed a big improvement going from 16s to 18s on mine, there was so much sidewall flex before it was quite unnerving!

#86 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

In that case why are you going to plump for spacers first? Or are the new wheels a fair old way ahead in the future?

I'm going to be rolling on the Monty II's for some time, so I want them positioned "properly"- Stance, if you will. Money is the concern with regards to changing the wheels: a) because the 5 Monties cost me £500 (£200 for the rims, £300 for the powdercoat), and B) because even before the bigger brakes and the remap there is the better part of £1800 to go on the car.

Likely to end up with 19s when I get the bigger wheels- I love the shape of the Montreal II's, so if I can get a set of Helios' when the time comes, I'll be on em in a flash.

#87 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

May have already hit a snag: I'm currently insured with Aviva, and will be renewing my 9-month Rapid Bonus policy with them come September (currently cheapest at £677 for the 9 months, which is good when you consider that I haven't had my licence for even 1 year yet). However, they apparently have a limit on the number of mods you can have before the underwriters get a bit touchy about it.

However, the [English] lass I was talking to said that what that means in reality is that I will need to ring and discuss the proposed modification(s) with Aviva/Their Underwriters prior to buying anything, rather than doing the current thing of buying/fitting and then declaring. Hopefully they won't be too pissy about it when the time comes.

#88 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

So much for the big plans.

Engine modding is now out, including the PD150 FMIC Upgrade. ALL that will be done now is the spacers, interior retrim, and bodykit. Ploughing the amount of cash in that it will need to do what I want to do is, quite frankly, not worth it, given that by the time I'm finished, the car will be almost 11-12 years old.

Instead, the money will be saved and put toward something newer... with more cylinders... and 4WD already.

Why the sudden change of heart? Well, when I was sorting out my pension stuff over the last week or so, I had a serious think about finances. Go figure.

Ah well, sh*t happens.

#89 amdman

amdman

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

It's a tough decision to make but one that usually tends to be for the best! I know I hate thinking about when to draw the line, but it gets to a point when you have to wonder if it's better to start saving for the next car or arguably more "useful" things.

It's a shame in as much as the project plans sounded epic, but I'm sure the next car will be equally interesting and by saving money now it'll open up more options later down the line [:)]

Still, should be a cracking result with just the bodykit and interior redone, shall still be watching the thread [;)]

#90 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Indeed, it will be a shame not to execute the planned projects, but I am still aiming for 300bhp and 4WD with the next car/project. Difference is that the next project will start out with 230-250bhp and 4WD (and 4 rings up front).

As to "more useful things": I'm almost 24, but I still live with my parents. I start a 3 year employment contract on monday- by the end of that contract, I expect/hope to have had my own house for a year. New beginnings all round, methinks.

And yes, even with no engine mods, I still think I'll end up with something... rather special.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.