#182 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts
  • Bora SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Quick update, as it's been a while and I've not really done much.

Exhaust still great, really happy with it.

Montreal II's still messed up, not happy with them. They'll be getting new boots and a refurb in the next couple of months. Gloss black instead of satin this time, I think.

Turbo got a bit of a quick overhaul this weekend. Lubed the actuator and gave it a blitz with the Mr Muscle (it might be getting another go next weekend, to make sure it's perfectly clean). Response is a lot better now, and no overboost (yay!).

The JOMs are on the way out, so they'll need replacing soon too. Need to work out what to replace them with yet. Got a budget of about £600ish. Probably go for an R32 ARB or similar at the same time, too.

Not too sure what I'll be doing after that, though, but thanks to an Astra driver last week, I now don't have a single perfect body panel, so a load of bodywork is on the cars somewhere along the way.

#183 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

The car went in to Lepsons this week, as I took up their offer of a half-price wheel refurb to sort the fading (wheels were well out of warranty), and I got it back today. I went for gloss black this time, rather than the satin. Consensus of opinion between myself, the guys at Lepsons, and the guys at KDS (detailing place next door), is either something wrong with the batch/mix of powder for the satin coat, or UV bleaching causing the fade (the satin is a one-coat mix, with no lacquer).

Although it was dark when I picked her up, I could see that the wheels were gleaming. I'm really looking forward to seeing them in the daylight (when I can take a decent pic, too).

Along with sorting the wheels out, Lepsons fitted my new tyres too: some lovely Michelin Primacy 3s. I've only driven the car once, just to get home, but the difference between the Primacies and the budget cack I had before is amazing. Everything about them is far superior, and they are REALLY quiet.

Next thing on the list of crap to do is a few maintenance bits. MoT is booked for Saturday (and I need to tax her this month too), which she should pass but I'll admit I'm expecting a couple of advisories. Need to replace a couple of fuel lines in the bay as they're looking a bit tired, and I'd rather not have one decide it wants to be free. I'm gonna sort out getting an OEM aux belt and tensioner in the near future too, as I don't like the sound the pattern part I fitted a couple of months back is making.

Depending on the outcome of the MoT, the next frivolous purchases will be some combination of bushes, silicone charge pipes (courtesy of SFS), and engine mounts, all of which have seen better days. I'll be doing some snooping on what to replace with in the near future, so suggestions are welcome here.

#184 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

So, this is how I spent my birthday:

Good job I have my priorities right. Big Smile

MoT was a clean pass, no advisories. Smoke test came out at 0.2. Need to get a lump of cash together before the next lot of work, though.

#185 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

Had an interesting idea in the last 72 hours... I know I've had a few of the "grand plan" ideas in the past, but I think this one will actually get done...

Need to have some long chats with the derv gurus though...

#186 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Guess i'll see you tomorrow then  ;)

#187 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

So, I managed to get 4 balls on the Lottery on Saturday (missing a 5th by one number - I had 7 when 8 came up), and netted myself £140.

Suffice to say, it's going on the car... but while I'd LIKE to be putting it towards the bodywork, or the SFS silicone pipework, I have the nasty feeling most of it will be eaten by Aux belt/tensioner/alternator pulley replacement.

Bah, humbug indeed!

#188 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Muchos interesting stuff is imminent. Watch this space.

[Also, will be sorting the pics/thread out to deal with post forum-move mess].

#189 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

So... so.. so, so, so....

With the fantastic Mr @timbomfg upgrading his turbo to a GTB2260VK, he needed someone to sell his TurboDynamics MD376 Hybrid to. And that person turned out to be me.

So a couple of weeks back, I bombed over to Tim's place with this little lot:

20140226_223418_zps8b401f32.jpg

And came away with this grin-inducing chappy:

20140228_211907_zps1fcba42e.jpg

20140228_211854_zps6d77c959.jpg

A bit grubby, but in perfect working order. No shaft play, and no burning on the exhaust side. Started ripping stuff out of the bay pretty much as soon as I got back home.

20140301_171042_zpsae1709a8.jpg

20140301_171056_zps9796b3b8.jpg

I was reasonably surprised by how much room there was down the back of the engine once the turbo was out. Still think I prefer working on longitudinal engines though. Tends to be more room to work, I feel.

Mapped ECU was provided along with the turbo, so we were running quite nicely, though Tim made a few lil tweaks for me at the Cobham meet the following Monday.

A couple of days later, I picked up my latest order from the Dealers. The last piece of genuine R32 brushed aluminium trim I needed for the dash.

20140305_221246_zps019a0379.jpg

I had intended to have a month or two of not spending not a lot on the car (other than any monies spent to fix whatever leak is putting water into my rear passenger footwell), but fate appears to have other plans. Clutch and gear changes started feeling... odd, last week. Hard to describe how it feels, but it certainly doesn't feel right. Alright for about town and getting to work, I think, but not good for... spirited driving. I had organised a bit of a dyno day down at SRR this past weekend, but ended up deciding not to run because of a lask of confidence in the clutch.

Having already discussed clutch and flywheel options with various people, I quickly settled on Darkside Developments' Cluthc and SMF conversion kit, with 10kg flywheel and Sachs SRE Organic clutch disc and pressure plate (see here for details), and decided to get the ECS clutch bleed block from Awesome GTi at the same time (here).

Unfortunately, UPS suck ass at actually delivering anything, so despite ordering the clutch kit early on Thursday on a "Next Day - by 9am" delivery option, it still hasn't turned up yet (13:15 Monday). Not impressed. Especially not impressed as I was booked in at a friends garage to have the clutch fitted on Friday, and ended up looking like a twazzok when it didn't turn up.

Bleed block did turn up on Friday though, so that's good. The other thing that turned up on Friday was a mk4 R32 DSG/mk5 R32/3.2 Audi TT MAF sensor housing, courtesy of Zig over on the R32OC forum, which quickly got gutted. So now I can fit the upper part of the DSG airbox, once I get hold of one of Darkside's silicone accordion pipe replacements (the stock plastic one is marginally too small to fit the MAF housing.

All in all, a good few weeks. I just hope the clutch kit turns up soon.

#190 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

UPS finally delivered, only 79 and a half hours late.

20140317_204926_zps83cadf75.jpg

Clutch will be fitted on Thursday.

#191 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

:P  :whistle:

#192 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

:P  :whistle:

Hmmm....?

#193 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Darkside Developments single mass flywheel and uprated clutch kit fitted, along with the ECS clutch bleed block. Not given it much of a drive yet, but will be tomorrow. So far, seems good. The pedal is a bit heavier than I was expecting, but we'll see. I've not experienced a new clutch before, so kinda uncharted territory at the mo.

#194 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

So, Thursday evening I tried to go out for a decent length test drive, only to find my clutch pedal dropped to the floor if I so much as looked at it, and there was clutch fluid squirting out of the ECS bleed block. Luckily, I had Friday off work, so I had the garage that fitted the clutch and bleed block put the original block back on. This was fine until Saturday evening, when the stock block started leaking too. I reckon they've managed to chomp the seals putting the block back together.

Also managed to wear/chop/blow a hole in my turbo outlet pipe, so she's not building boost at the moment. Between this and the clutch leak, the car is off the road at the mo. Pox.

And to top it off, the suspension work I was meant to be doing on a friends mk5 .:R32 fell flat on it's face as the dealers had given me the wrong bearings.

Currently trying to decide whether to go with SFS' Red Pipe replacement, or get Darkside's version (which looks to be a superior design, with very good clearance on the driveshaft). Not sure if I can get just that section of Darkside's pipework on it's own, so will need to enquire tomorrow.

All in all, a pretty crappy weekend.

#195 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

So, exploding boost pipes accelerated one of my future plans: S3 intercooler.

I didn't want to risk a repeat of what happened last week, so instead of just getting a replacement Red Pipe (stock or SFS replacement), I decided to replace the Allard PD150 pipework with the Darkside kit. The Darkside kit has far superior clearance over the driveshaft, though seems a little close to the Aux Belt (this may just be how I have it sat at the mo, it's still a work in progress), and the MAP sensor port is in a MUCH better place. The silicone sections need a bit of trimming to get them to fit, but it's not that big an issue (bar the turbo outlet itself, see below).

The S3 intercooler is larger than the PD150 item, which I didn't realise, (same width and height, but considerably thicker), as it was primarily the alloy end tanks and the silicone connections that attracted me. looks like it'll work a treat.

I am having a bit of trouble getting the turbo outlet right with the new pipe kit, though. I'm not sure if I just have it at the wrong angle, but I can't seem to get the metal TIP back into it's rubber reducer (had to take it off so I could see what I was doing. If anyone (@Booster ?) already has the Darkside kit, can you give me any pointers?

#196 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Phil,

sounds like you have gone the full monty with the S3 cooler and the pipekit.  I have the same parts but I'm running a 2260 on a DSD manifold this means I run a 90 degree silicon bend off the turbo outlet onto the pipekit which had to have a lot of the silicon cut off it as it is burried deep into the wheelwell, the new hoses required a lot of cutting down. 

with regards to the TIP I'm running a silicon reducer as the inlet on the 2260 is somewhat bigger than the stock item ;) this is a little bit longer than the OEM setup as well so it gave me a bit more room to work with.

with regards to the the pipe being close to the pulley wheel here is a pic of mine.

IMAG0592.jpg

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

#197 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Building it to be bomb-proof reliable, mate. Putting the maximum safe limits so far ahead that she'll never (touch wood) be in danger of being pushed too far....

...and also planning ahead for future... possibilities...

Anyhoo, Scott sent me some photos today suggesting that I need to angle the turbo outlet down slightly (I was trying to fit the pipework with the 90-degree putlet pipe horizontal), so I'll be trying that tomorrow night. Hopefully I haven't inadvertently cut too much off the silicones.

How come you have the 45-degree joiner, Booster? Does the 2260 create a big angle offset?

#198 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Might be that my kit is one of the first iterations of the design.  I know it has changed a few times since I bought mine, I didn't get the question mark pipe with my kit as it came with a 90 degree bend which I had to butcher to fit badly :unsure:  - that reminds me I need to fit that when I get 'aroundtuit'

My kit came with the 45 degree bend and it was the only way it would fit on the 150pd or the S3 cooler.  I did find I had to fiddle a bit to ensure that the pancake cleared the driveshaft, first time I got it together I had a little rubbing under hard brakeing.

HTH

Build Thread

#199 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Everything sorted out and fitted. Fits quite nicely, actually. Keeping the clamps loose while fitting was definitely the key.

Also fitted the lid of my R32 DSG airbox. Had to trim a little bit off the silicone accordion pipe replacement I got from Darkside, but it's quite nice.

Test drive was rather fun. With the car having been off the road for two weeks, this was the first chance I'd had to really open her up after fitting both the turbo and the clutch. Result: BIG SMILE.

Just need to get her on the dyno now.

#200 timbomfg

timbomfg

Tim Sr

• Moderators
  • 13503 posts
  • Living in 2017

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

Glad to hear it's running well bud!

#201 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

The [visible] fruits of my recent labours:

20140406_143252_zps8fe711dd.jpg

#202 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Time for some trustworthy dyno graphs:

Stock BHP:

Stockbhpamptorque_zps2955980d.jpg

Stock WHP:

Stockwhpamptorque_zpsce3e42ab.jpg

Pre-remap/turbo upgrade BHP:

Pre-turbobhpandtorque_zps511f133a.jpg

Pre-remap/turbo upgrade WHP:

Pre-turbowhpandtorque_zpsd102309d.jpg

Post-remap/turbo upgrade BHP:

Post-turbobhpandtorque_zps2e63c8bb.jpg

Post-remap/turbo upgrade WHP:

Post-turbowhpandtorque_zps1690db6f.jpg

#203 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Looks pretty good to me. Bit down on Tim's numbers but you have a lot more pipework to fill.
A few tweaks and all will be good ;)

Build Thread

#204 Bobby_Singh

Bobby_Singh

B S R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • West London and Windsor
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Sorry Phil I just found this - I dont remember mapping this car?

Where did you get the map from?

Cheers

#205 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

Soooo.... after many months away, I'm back to the forum and back to fettling the car.

A couple of months back, I pulled my finger out and finally got in touch with the fantastic Mr @Bobby_Singh, who kindly remapped the car. A good improvement all round, getting rid of the couple of niggles with how she pulled and performed generally. Haven't had chance to get down to SRR yet to get her dyno'd, so not sure on any power or torque changes.

The car is up for MoT at the end of next month, and while she shouldn't need any work to pass that, there are things that need doing.

Firstly, there's a friggin annoying squeak from the front offside wheel that comes and goes. I'm hoping it's just some crap stuck in the pad, but it could be something more. Second, the JOM coilovers are about three years past their Use-By date.

With these in mind, the next set of jobs, to be completed by Christmas, will be:

• Replace JOMs with AP coilovers.
  • Renew front brakes, upgrading to 312mm.
  • New bushes all round, including rear beam, steering rack, dogbone, and ARB (will likely be polybushing).
  • Upgrade ARB to R32 variant. The AP coilovers should have the necessary mounting points for the drop links.

Provided I have sufficient money to do it in one hit, I will also be doing:

• 256mm rear brake upgrade.
  • Rear ARB.
  • TT/R32 cast wishbones.
  • TT front upper strut brace.
  • R32/TT/LCR QuickRack.

So yeah, got my work cut out for me.

• Bobby_Singh likes this

#206 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi bud, nice work so far and nice plans to do.

My ECS bleeder block was faulty around the same time you had one leak ..... it was confirmed a bad batch was out there. Mine was leaking soon as it was installed and replaced under warranty.

You did the right thing making it all strong and leak free boost setup.

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#207 PokerProTDI150

PokerProTDI150

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6746 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

Also what is the reason/benefit for MAF delete? i thought having a MAF was good stuff.

2003 Black magic PD150

2002 Harlequin Anniversary 1.8t

2002 Sunburst orange 4motion

#208 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Also what is the reason/benefit for MAF delete? i thought having a MAF was good stuff.

I must admit, I can't remember. Bobby did tell me, but it's slipped my mind. Could you provide an answer, please, Bobby_Singh?

#209 Bobby_Singh

Bobby_Singh

B S R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • West London and Windsor
  • A4 3.0 TDI Bus of Moderate Win

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Hi Phil/Jay as mentioned in the text - the MAF sensor is used for IQ and when you fit a turbo that exceeds the MAF sensor's capabilities then its pretty useless.
Then its time to use the MAP sensor as the input.
This requires more time for tuning using wideband AFR lambda,but you never get MAF issues again.

Cheers
  • PokerProTDI150 likes this

#210 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Bobby. I had written a reply after I got your text, but it looks like the phone betrayed me and it never went up.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.