NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts
  • Bora SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm... the plot thickens...

For a long time I thought that all quick racks were 2.5 turn (like the R32), but apparently I was wrong. Having talked quite a bit with @GIULIVER71 over the last couple of days, I found out last night/this morning that TT/S3 quick racks were 2.7 turn, not the 2.5 I was expecting.

So, it looks like the "055 T" rack is a quick rack after all. Which is good.

My apologies to @samc for doubting the rack. I never doubted you that it had come off of an S3, but I was anxious about the hardware due to my inaccurate understanding/misconception. My bad.

I may well still get the LCR rack I sourced yesterday, and have a bit of a comparison/cross-referencing exercise.

Out of curiosity, @PokerProTDI150, is your rack from an R32 or a TT/S3/LCR?

In other news, the WIP sketch for the artwork that may potentially be going on the car when the bodywork gets done came through the other day, and it's fricking awesome. Like, daaaaaaaaaamn hawt...

#242 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

A bit of filler while I sort out the handling and suspension parts:

Answers on a postcard, what do you think it's gonna be?

20151112_211448_zpsujhoidfj.jpg

#243 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

I wanted to get something done while I get the last few bits for the handling/suspension upgrade together, so started working on an idea I've had for a while.

Basically, making a gearstick out of this:

20151109_212925_zpsg87osvoa.jpg

20151109_212932_zps54y7sotk.jpg

20151109_212940_zpsvohnzfpc.jpg

So, after getting a wooden gearknob from the local scrappy and tearing it apart for the boss/mount within, I started tearing the joystick down...

...carefully, mind you. I wanted the wiring intact...

20151109_213346_zps38ivjfs3.jpg

As expected, everything was connected in at the base, and most of it was blathered in silicone grease. Annoying stuff.

Quickly got the stick itself separated and dismantled, though:

20151120_153328_zps6miekukt.jpg

Carefully removing the loom...

20151120_153339_zpsfiqyiivc.jpg

20151120_153421_zpszjadk1ry.jpg

That the important bit safely extracted, leaving me with the body of the stick separate.

20151120_153556_zpsxdaewgey.jpg

Only bit of this idea that I'm worried about: the "neck" of the stick is quite narrow. I hope it has sufficient strength for... vigorous gear changes...

20151109_212952_zpsfcsvcuwh.jpg

The mount is going to need a lot of surgery before it'll fit properly:

20151120_153635_zpsi4chre2t.jpg

The reason for being careful when taking the joystick apart, and keeping the loom intact, is that I fully intend to keep the buttons usable. I don't know what they'll be used for yet, but I want to keep that option open.

For example, if I were to fit a nitrous system at some point down the line, I'd love to be able to rig the solenoid control into the joystick. Or if I ever get air suspension (unlikely at this time, but still possible) I might want to use the joystick buttons for pre-set ride heights.

I'm also looking into 3rd party ECUs, and what is and isn't possible, so if I ever have the opportunity to run switchable maps (with on-the-fly selection) at some point, they might use the buttons (assuming the aforementioned air suspension doesn't).

Oh yes, nearly forgot... the "head" of the joystick has a 3mm LED in it, so I'll have that powered, I think. It's bright blue, which doesn't fit with the rest of the interior lighting. However, when I got the gearknob I picked up an ASR switch for two quid, specifically to tear the LED out of to put into the joystick.

#244 NorthernPhil

NorthernPhil

Pauper with big ideas

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:55 AM

Five years since my last build thread post.... a lot has changed...  :(

I still have my Bora, that at least hasn't changed, but what is in the works for it has changed completely.

The S3 steering transplant didn't happen, and all the parts I'd acquire as part of that operation (cast wishbones, quickrack, hubs, ARB, and larger brakes front and rear) all ended up getting sold. I'm not going to go into the whys and wherefores, but suffice to say it was very much not fun for me.

I didn't even get the joystick shifter done.

...but if I'm making a build thread post, something must be happening, right?

126903695_10164601946205245_513333366709

...yup.

So, I STILL have my original set of JOM coilovers on, and by now they are totally flipped. Like, will fail the MoT (next weekend). So this weekend, I've got the car up on stands to fit the following:

• KW Variant 1 coilovers.
  • LCR front top mounts.
  • A crapload of polybushings: SuperPro bushings for the steering rack, front ARB drop-links, and dog-bone (both ends), and PSB bushings for the control arms (front and rear), subframe, ARB mounts, and rear beam.

Once the MoT is passed, the next thing that NEEDS to be done is to get my wheels refurbed again, as the lacquer is peeling and they look crap, and it's driving me nuts.

Going forwards, I've got a few little things planned for definite (wheel spacers, bodywork tidy-up, silicone coolant pipes, etc.), and some BIG ones that I'm looking into but not committing to until I have more technical info and, far more importantly, a great deal more money.

Hopefully, all goes well...

#245 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10779 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

Bring back build threads! :) 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.