[Other] MOT problems. Should I buy this car and how much will be to repair the problem? - Other Brands Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo
Other

MOT problems. Should I buy this car and how much will be to repair the problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cristianma90

cristianma90

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • bedford
  • MKI Models

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hello everybody. 

I am sorry for posting this in a VW forum site but I really did not know where to do it and this forum looks active and serious.

I am going to buy a BMW 325i (year 2009) coupe 3.0 M package grey color with 76000 miles. Automatic, 218CV, navigation and all the extras possible included. The car looks new. Checked it up and down and looks very good for the price they are asking. 6500 pounds. 

The only thing I found on the papers the seller showed me was last MOT and it says this: 
June 2008
Result: PASS 

Advisory notice item(s) 
Nearside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c) 
Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c) 
both n/s/r and o/s/r suspension bump stops worn out.

I know what the pipes are, and the seller said he would pay it, also he can put the price of the car lower. But I do not know what the suspension thing is so I was wondering if any of you could help me with it, explanation, costs, and if its worth to buy the car having those issues even if it passed the MOT. 

Car inside and outside looks new. No concerns at all. Tested it on the road and drives like a new car. 

Can someone help me with that please? 

Thank you so much and apologize if there are any spelling mistakes, I am Spanish. 

Thanks for your time. 

Cristian smile.gif 

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50116 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

The car was new in 2009,but the last MOT was in 2008?

Bump stops are a sort of rubber spring that limit the amount of suspension travel.Once the spring and damper have to gone as far as they can,the axle hits the bump stop which cushions what would other wise be a loud and uncomfortable metallic clonk.

No need to apologise for any spelling mistakes etc,your English is embarrassingly better than most people who speak it as their first language :whistle: .

This is a bump stop.Normally very cheap and easier to replace than the brake pipes.

s-l1600.jpg

• cristianma90 likes this

#3 cristianma90

cristianma90

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • bedford
  • MKI Models

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

Sorry, last MOT was in 2017, 2 months ago. I will probably ask the seller to fix all this before buying it then, will check costs in a mechanic!

Thank you for your time, it was very helpful :)

#4 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50116 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:45 AM

Most private sellers given the choice would reduce the selling price without getting the work done,this can work out cheaper for them than getting the work done before selling the car.

Also they're only advisories from a couple of months ago,so don't have to to be done straight away,but would probably fail the next MOT in ten months time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.