MonK-E's Compound Turbo project (its alive......) - Page 27 - Members Rides - uk-mkivs

Photo

MonK-E's Compound Turbo project (its alive......)

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#781 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:43 AM

You 'll fly through that just like when you did the 2.0 slow
  • MonK-E likes this

#782 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

I hope so, it's a touch more involved this time round but nothing too complicated.
I still need to find out if the speed sensor on the gearbox sends a 5V signal even though its fed 12v. If the signal is 12v it's going to cause issues with the ECU and I may not be able to have boost by gear and speed activated launch control. Something I can look into later theres plenty of other wiring to figure out before then :)
  • northpole likes this

#783 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

OEM is 12v. There's no 5v ref on these.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#784 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

*Could build an op-amp easy enough to convert from 12 - 5...

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#785 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

Ahh that's a shame. I read somewhere that some VSS (Toyota, Nissan or somthing) are 12v but output a 5v siganl to the ecu. I was hoping that the sensor would be similar.

I've no idea how to make a op-amp. But I'll have a look about and see if I can find out what's involved.
I have a feeling this isn't going to be straight forward to be able to get the ECU to see vehicle speed and keep the clocks working as normal lol

#786 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

Are you keeping ABS?  ECU, ABS and cluster are all tied via CAN.  You can change the cluster to see speed via ABS instead of speed sensor, so that's an option if you're keeping stock cluster and ABS.   I can't imagine you're keeping ABS though.

What ECU are you using and what kind of signal does it need?  

#787 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

Haha yeah I'm trying to keep ABS. I still want to keep it just about road worthy so I can do some testing without needing to go to the track or dyno.

The ECU I have is Motorsport electronics ME442.
I think I can use either a digital or analog 5v signal

https://motorsport-e...ine-management/

#788 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:40 AM

Not sure how it'll react without an ECU because I've never tried it, but worth a stab.  Can record the cluster to use ABS for speed signal and look to fit the box with a dedicated sensor or build a circuit to convert existing to 5v.  

If you need a hand, holla!

• MonK-E likes this

#789 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:12 AM

I just had a thought. As RPM is done through CAN on later clocks and the ME442 now supports that I can ask the guys at motorsport electronics to add ABS speed to the CAN list and use that. Which means I shouldn't have to touch the VSS.
It's all a way off yet I still have to finish the exhaust, the rest of the winning and get it running before I really need to thing about launch control and boost by gear.

If motorsport electronics can't help I'll definitely give you a shout buddy :D :Y:

#790 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

I've now tacked the exhaust system together other than 2 joints.
So tomorrow will be a day of cleaning it up and welding it all out

360.jpg
  • northpole and Glendil like this

#791 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

Finished up the exhaust today :D

360.jpg

360.jpg

I also welded in some rear exhaust mounts. I'm going to have to do somthing with the handbrake cables. Apparently you can't use cable ties to hold it out the way. As they are only allowed for wires and hoses. Even though they are called cable ties.. lol

360.jpg

360.jpg

#792 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • Croydon
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:29 PM

Looks bloody mint I brought something for my boot build today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolf gttdi asz 130/200 ish MK4 Golf 1.8t aum running after hard graph

http://GLENDILS 1.8T...DI BUILD THREAD

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

#793 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:21 PM

I'm inclined to buy some exhaust pipes and drive down to you and put myself at work while you watch me building a nice oversized decat dual rearbox delete system for the vectra.... but i won't as i can't be arsed lol  nice work mate ;) 

• MonK-E likes this

#794 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

Northpole you're more than welcome to pop over. Not sure about the Vauxhall bit though hehe :D

Today was a bit all over the place doing a few bits here and there.

I'll start off with the best bit.
I finished off putting the front end back on and enlarged the hole on the bonnet so I could fit the air filter

360.jpg

After that I sorted the (imo lol unnecessary) heat shield and handbrake cable hangers. I'll talk from experience here, when I had my old 300bhp black 5door golf (some might remember) that had a side exit. I rested the handbrake cable on the top of it with a small amount of heat wrap. I drove it daily and took it to brands hatch a few times on track days. Never once did it melt the cable. But hey enough whinging. Here's how it looks now

360.jpg

With that out of the way I went back to the engine bay and started looking how and where I'm going to mount the 4 port mac valve.
I decided to make a simple little bracket and hang it off the slam panel.

360.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of the teflon tubing so I couldn't finish the last line to the top port on the wastegate today.

360.jpg

I'm now making a nice little list of all the little bits I need to grab and do before the first fire up. The main thing really is all the wiring. I've been putting it off for a bit now so tomorrow I want to make a start on it.
On a side note anyone remember where I put the o2 sensor..
I can't find it anywhere lol, I'll just have to buy another one and if it finally turns up at least I'll have a spare :D

#795 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

YAS

• MonK-E likes this

#796 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:55 AM

Northpole you're more than welcome to pop over. Not sure about the Vauxhall bit though hehe :D

Don't be a brand-ist! a car is a car mate, granted some are way better than others and yes i do prefer VW over a whole load of other brands (although the new skoda's octavia VRS estate is making me want one but it has to be the latest model) and everytime i see a lowered mk4 that kinda looks like it's been cared for makes me look a lot longer than i should...  But if i ever go mk4 again it'll have to be an r32... and that won't happen. 

#797 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:41 PM

Hahaha it was only in jest. I still have a unfinished mk1 Ford focus turbo project sitting in the yard lol

Well today I mostly spent wiring in the sensors. All of them are wired and just need to connect them to the ECU now. Although it's a bit annoying that all of them other than the EGT sensor are 3 wire sensors so itll take a bit of time sorting it all out.
I'm thinking I might re wire the ignition so auxiliarys are on a flip switch and start is on a button. Although it's not really necessary.

I've also added a couple of extra heat shields to protect some of the nearby sensors.

360.jpg

360.jpg

I really wish bank holidays lasted a couple days. It would of been nice to get the wiring in the scuttle panel done. Still a couple of weekends and I think itll be ready for test starting
  • northpole likes this

#798 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

It's getting so close....
  • MonK-E likes this

#799 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

Little mid week update.
I've finished off the wiring in the scuttle panel, which just leaves the lambda sensor left to sort out. Oh and theres the window washer wiring and pipes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there yet because if I want it to be road legal itll still need one.
But I've run out of room in the engine bay so I'm going to have to think it over a bit.

360.jpg

Next up is inside wiring. Theres so much I can strip out here but where to start, I need to get my head round it before chopping through lots of wires really

360.jpg

#800 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

No update yesterday as I was working through a few issues that I'll get into in a bit. The wait is worth it though.

I wired in the fuel pumps

360.jpg

Then made a quick little relay/fuse board. It still need finishing off as I need to add the charge cooler pump relay and wire all that in.

360.jpg

Then I decided I'll try and fire her up. So I topped all the fluids up, put a couple of cans of Tesco 99 in and calibrated some sensors.

Flicked the key and primed the oil system. Reconnected the injectors and coils. Flicked the key again..... nothing. Just turning over.

After a bit of a closer look I found the tps wiring was wrong.
Generally if you have 3 wires. Red, black and white. You would guess that red would be 5v. Black ground and white signal.

Well clearly not in this case. Red was 5v but black turns out to be signal and white was ground.
Bloody Chinese connector. Still it didn't take much to re pin it properly.
That didn't solve the no spark issue though.

Back to looking through the wiring, I found I put the EGT sensor +into the wrong pin.
After I sorted that suddenly I got spark but no fuel.

So back to wiring diagrams. It looks like after removing the stock fuel pump and other bits, the fuel pump relay which also supplies power to the injectors is no longer working.

Simple fix though ;)

360.jpg

Back to trying to start it. Still no love. And back to no spark.
After tearing what's left of my hair out it turns out that by moving the wiring when sorting the EGT sensor out, it nudged a loose earth. So I cleaned it up and tightened it up.

And then......

https://youtu.be/qG9xHlAchww
  • patchrico and northpole like this

#801 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:31 PM

It sounds mental already! Love it... good to see you found the little mistakes and sorted it out in the end.

Ps I bet you you only pulled out the grey hairs
  • MonK-E likes this

#802 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

It should sound better once I've sorted out the richness and added a touch of 2 step later on :D

Theres a bit more of a underlying issue with the richness though. The lambda is reading massively lean which is most likely a exhaust leak somewhere before the sensor even though I can't hear it anywhere.

Any colour hair is good hair. Unfortunately I have very little of either after the last 24 hours
  • northpole likes this

#803 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:13 PM

Lol I can believe that you were thinking wtf? Than slowly retracing most of the cables... yeah I know the feeling... and the reason why I said grey hairs lol been there myself.. and the first start is so important people have no idea...
  • MonK-E likes this

#804 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

What made it worse is that i doubt my work/wiring so much and the main part of the loom that I modified is running along the chassis rail, hidden by all that turbo junk and a 6speed gearbox tight next to it.
My heart sank when I was considering taking the engine back out..
I think I would of jumped off the workshop roof if I had pulled it all out only to find the main culprit was a dodgy earth in the scuttle panel.
  • northpole likes this

#805 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:20 PM

Been there... anyway.. I'm so pleased you got it running ! Hope you get time to do the last bits and bobs so you can go for a test run soon.

• MonK-E likes this

#806 LR5V

LR5V

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

Nice one Si

Windscreen washer - how about a bag kit like the one in this link:

https://www.amazon.c...sc=1&th=1&psc=1

Small capacity, so compact and can be easily be mounted within the cabin

• MonK-E likes this

#807 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:17 AM

Thanks LR5V, after doing a bit of looking about and thinking.
I went for this

https://www.ebay.co....tm/383536518250

I should be able to place it in the boot next to the fuel tank some where. Then use the rear washer hose in the loom to connect to the front washer hose in the scuttle panel.
It also looks like the pump wires run all the way to the rear wiper motor. So I should be able to pick them up just before the go into the boot lid :)

#808 Bhavick

Bhavick

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:04 PM

This thing looks mental, i hope your gonna upload lots of videos of it once you get it all up and running properly.

• MonK-E likes this

#809 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2823 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

There will be alot more. I'll be racing this car with the VWDRC. Which means lots of burnouts, 2 step launches and what not.
This project is really only just beginning. Not only that if the engine stays together theres plans for more upgrades ;)
  • northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.