MonK-E's Compound Turbo project (its alive......) - Page 29 - Members Rides - uk-mkivs

Photo

MonK-E's Compound Turbo project (its alive......)

• Please log in to reply
848 replies to this topic

#841 gbhurry

gbhurry

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Swindon - UK
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

Getting close - looking forward to seeing this one running!

• MonK-E likes this

#842 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

Yeah in 2 weeks it will have been dyno'd and with any luck I'll be packing up and getting ready for a couple of days up at santapod.

This evening I'm planning to move it off the ramp and run a couple of tests to make sure the vss is working through can bus. Which will be critical for boost by gear and launch control.

I did put a couple more little stickers on though lol

360.jpg
  • northpole and Glendil like this

#843 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:13 PM

I got quite a fair bit done this weekend. Not that hardly any of it is noticeable. Just loads of little bits.

I finished off the fuel tank cover to a point. It still needs welding out but that will wait until I get more argon. Other people have riveted covers together so a tacked one is just as good in my opinion.

360.jpg

I also wired in a little electric screen demister

360.jpg

Then cracked on with a list of bits.
I've now sorted a couple of vibrating charge pipes that rubbed on the chassis legs.
I Ran a wire from the ecu to the radiator fan switch and added a relay. So now the ecu controls when the fans come on. I've set them to both come on full at 91 degrees. Which seems to hold the engine temp at a constant 94, which is good enough for me.
I cleaned up the wiring inside and put all the wires I've added in trunking.
Finished off plating any holes left in the bulkhead, left from the heater matrix and pipes.
Finishes the last bit of heat shielding around some wires in behind the DP.
Wired in the new horn button.
Fitted split pins in the harness quick release couplings and cable tied the ends up to neaten them a bit.
Put some skateboard grip tape in the drivers footwell.
Sorted out the launch control bypas switch so it actually de activates it now.
And got the android head unit to boot to realdash.

I still have the following things to sort out.
Ride height.
Front wheel alignment.
Sort out the bonnet where it rubs on the vent pipes.
Purchase and fit stiffer rear springs.
Make up a spoiler.

I gave the car another few blasts up the drive again. This time revving it right out. Even though is was spinning whole way through the rpm range.
Looking at the logs even at part throttle and pulling away at 2.5k it managed to equalise atmospheric pressure and by 3k it was starting to make positive boost.
Although it only made a max of around 10psi (this is due to it spinning the wheels and not loading the engine enough to make more) a bit like reving in neutral doesn't make boost. It'll be a different animal on a grippy surface.
Once the engine was properly warm I saw the oil pressure drop to about 20psi on idle. So I thought it best to drop the run in oil & filter then stick some fully synth in it. One less job to do before the dyno.

360.jpg

Fingers crossed the windows turn up when demon tweaks say they will. If not I might have to re bond the glass ones back in.

Anyway thats about it for this weekend. Oh other than adding another sticker from the company that sponsored me the paint :)

360.jpg
  • Lorcy, northpole and Glendil like this

#844 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:16 PM

Had a fun day today, I got to meet @Glendil in person and picked up a sweet little diesel long ratio DRW 6speed box. Cheers buddy :D
My plans for this are to strip it down for the gear set so I can upgrade the TT awd box I have in the car over the winter months.
As I have mentioned before the tt gear set will be way too short for what I want it to do.

360.jpg

After me and the mrs picked it up and had a quick chat with Glen we was off to Track Stuff to pick up a few drops of renegade e112 race fuel.
e112 is a genuine 85% pure ethanol blended with their leaded race fuel to make a sort of super e85 with an octane rating very similar to running pure ethanol. But without the down sides of having to add fuel lubricants and what not. So in theory it should be absolutely ideal for what I need

360.jpg

Then drove all the way back home to find I had a delivery :D
But it wasn't what I was hoping for (more on that in a bit)
However what did turn up is a set of rear springs for a Bora estate.
These should raise and stiffen the back end a fair bit. Which should help with weight transfer and enable it to get off the line a touch quicker, well at least better than the soft 20mm lowered springs that are on it at the moment.

360.jpg

Now comes the not so good news.
I don't like to knock companies online and I realise that covid has had a large impact on this but.. The lexan window kit that I ordered from demon tweaks back before April was supposed to turn up today.
I've been chasing them for months to get a date out of them for when they should arrive. Which back in June they said they would be due in stock on the 31/7/20. So I said to them, that would be acceptable providing they got them to me on next day delivery so 1/8/20.

A couple of weeks ago I asked for an update on delivery and to explain exactly why I require them ASAP and also if they can't deliver on the specified date can they let me know ASAP so I can make alternative arrangements. They just replied with nothing has changed from the previous information given. So I took that as they should arrive as planned.

So with the kit not turning up I sent them another email asking to cancel the order and requesting a full refund. With a slight hope that they would say it's not possible to do that as they have already been shipped and should arrive Monday or somthing.
But no luck they just agreed straight away. Which tells me they haven't even got the window kit yet. I'm really disappointed in them to say the least and will reframe from using them in the future.
Sorry for a bit of a rant but it really bugs me when supposedly reputable companys don't come through for you.

Any way the plan now is to temporarily bond the stock windows back in with tigar seal. Then get a big sheet of lexan at a later date and cut them out myself. The only one I wont be able to do is the rear windscreen as its thermally formed round 2 opposing bends. Which in reality the weight of the rear windscreen is very little in the first place as its about half the thickness of the front windscreen. So there's really very little weight saving to be achieved from changing it in the first place. In fact I could probably save more from gutting the boot lid frame.
Also as demon tweaks are refunding me they money. I'll at least be able to afford more e112 if necessary now lol
  • Lorcy likes this

#845 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

Yeah i feel your frustration, I have ordered a few parts that haven't showed up in the promised 48-hours... a week later still nothing... I will be asking for a refund tomorrow, as there is nothing that wees me off more than companies not delivering in the time promised ( 48 hours means at the latest within 72 hours but not a whole week)... covid19 can't be used as an excuses either... f-that. 

• MonK-E likes this

#846 Lorcy

Lorcy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 AHF 110PS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Great to see this coming along so well. I sell car parts for a well known German tuning brand and eeevvveeerrryyything is taking longer at the moment. Fewer staff in the warehouse (some still furloughed) and high demand means slower transport times so what is usually 2 days from collection is now 7 days. I do try to keep customers informed though and don't make promises I can't keep, I only ever give an estimated date.

• MonK-E likes this

#847 Gsxkev

Gsxkev

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:01 PM

Don't know if you've seen this site for windows?

https://www.acwmotor...lf-mk4-3dr.html

Cars looking good btw.

• MonK-E likes this

#848 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

Don't know if you've seen this site for windows?

https://www.acwmotor...lf-mk4-3dr.html

Cars looking good btw.

Cheers buddy, I'll probably go for a front set from them in the next month or 2.

As for demon tweaks if they had advised me a week or 2 ago that they wouldn't be able to keep the delivery date I would have been fine with it. But hey they clearly aren't that concerned with customer service.

Anyway I've got round it by bonding the stock windows back in then spent the rest of the day making a little drag slag spoiler :D

360.jpg

I have the day off work tomorrow to finish off a few bits. Like replace the rear springs, set front ride height and sort the alignment out amongst other stuff like cleaning it inside and out.

So its pretty much ready for the dyno now.

Any guesses on what you think it'll make

#849 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1601 posts
  • Croydon
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Was good to finally meet u sorry was so sleepy gutted about the windows but least u are ready to go I will come down to you soon as ur not to far me the beast itself looking forward to dyno day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MonK-E likes this

Bolf gttdi asz 130/200 ish MK4 Golf 1.8t aum running after hard graph

http://GLENDILS 1.8T...DI BUILD THREAD

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.