Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

MonK-E's Projects

70K views 1K replies 34 participants last post by  northpole 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Skip to Page 31 for latest rethink of the whole project....

SKIP TO PAGE 8 FOR THE BEGINING OF THE COMPOUND PROJECT.

PAGE 27 for start up

PAGE 29 for swapping from compound turbo to Twincharger setup

Yeah here we go again. After a short break with nothing to do with cars for a while I have felt a bit lost. Even with a little Kawasaki track bike project on the go at the same time. I keep looking at the couple of 1.8t engines I have laying about in bits and thinking I really need to do something with them. Call it mechanical OCD or what ever I keep comming back to them.
So I have decided to start up another project and do something with at least one of them.
I wanted to really plan this one out so I don't go off track with crazy ideas and don't properly finish it like previously.
However I haven't really done much planning, just a rough idea of doing something simple and not extreme. So far I'm thinking of a little internally gated gtx2867r on a 1.8t, or a bbt k360. Then slinging it in a cheap Mk4 based beetle or something.

All I really know is it'll be over a long period and I'll start with the engine.

So a little recap on what I have previously done to the head.
I got this engine that had come out of a AWD skoda that had only done about 50k miles, pulled it all apart and cleaned up the head. Then ported it a little.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

So on to what I have done today.
I pulled the head out from under the bench and spent a fair while cleaning it up again. It was full of dust drill swarf and what not. Once the head was cleaned, I gathered up my valve lapping stuff and made a start on lapping in the cleaned up standard valves.

360.jpg

After a bit of caveman fire starting technique, I had a nice dull grey band around the whole valve seat and valve head

360.jpg

360.jpg

That's one done, just another 19 to go hahaha

360.jpg

Then after a fair while a few more were done :D

360.jpg

That'll be it for today I think :p

See less See more
#4 ·
Think, you'll make this, time will pass and then you'll need something again. Why mess in the little league, go hard or go home. Old beetle fe rwd wide ass like I suggested before. Come on. Do it. Then I could copy paste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
YES !!!! :D

Reactions: MonK-E
#13 ·
It's all going to be engine work for the time being. Plans so far is to build the engine, turbo and gearbox first. Space to work is at a premium at the moment. So doing by doing it this way by the time I have finished the above, other projects will be done and out the way, giving me space to pick up a cheap beetle and concentrate on a chassis.
I still have to decide on if I'm going to use a 2.0 5 speed box with short final drive or that monstrosity of a awd 6 speed box yet.

Either way a moderate 350-400bhp in a beetle is going to be good giggles

#15 ·
Don't forget to fit it with some NOx a healthy 100 bhp wet setup for the evil laughs
Hahahaha. now now, we have talked about this. Simple stage project to be completed first (without getting side tracked and letting things get out of hand). However after it is complete, I'm certainly not discounting the idea of adding a little whiff of giggle gas

#17 ·
All I can say at the moment it's a possibility once every is up and running. However it won't be in any way part of the initial build.
It's far to easy for me to go crazy and get too involved with trying to do everything at once, then run out of cash and motivation.
I still have a rear complete TT rear subframe and haldex I could do something with. But realistically it's not even going to enter into my head on this build. Unless I some how find new premises to live with a barn and a ramp ;)

I did manage to do a bit more this evening. All the valves are lapped in, just waiting for valve stem seals to turn up (should be Monday)
So this weekend I'll probably take another look at the block and possibly decide whether to use the pistons that are in it or the set of AGU ones I have laying about.

360.jpg

#23 ·
Man I'm terrible at making my mind up. Just been having second thoughts about a beetle. I've been looking about and cupra r's are getting to a much more sensible price now.
Might see if I can find one with a dead engine or some seriously high miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.