#31 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Nope the aluminium is used for the main shell... the panels are the same as we know them on the mk4 golf.... the only thing I noticed is that they have less crusty wings.... And to be honest a cuppa r is a nice shaped car but done to death....

Your idea of doing a beetle is way cooler

#32 TomasLT

TomasLT

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

What they said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 rainbird

rainbird

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Plymouth, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

As much as I agree with the whole "do something different" argument, I'm still not convinced I could take a 400bhp Beetle seriously  :lol:

Edit; Then again, I am somewhat Leon-biased...

Edited by rainbird, 15 September 2017 - 02:05 PM.

• MonK-E likes this

#34 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

As much as I agree with the whole "do something different" argument, I'm still not convinced I could take a 400bhp Beetle seriously  :lol:

Edit; Then again, I am somewhat Leon-biased...

nope it will be a  wolf in sheeps clothing... loads of people will be thinking they are going to leave that girly car behind.. NOT lol   

• MonK-E and Spud84 like this

#35 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

oh definitely, cupra and cupra r's have been done time and time again. It's just a nice easy base to start on.

Thinking about it the only mechanical parts that i really need is the control arms, front hubs and rear callipers off the LCR, TT, R32. I've already got a 6 speed box and brembo 4 pots. The rest of it is unimportant really.

The beetle will definitely be more of a fun technical exercise of fitting a medium turbo under that over hanging scuttle panel. Not that I think it'll be difficult, just be a case of careful measurements and whether I make my own exhaust manifold or purchase a cast one.

But the bug is also a big girl and I'd only be adding to her already slightly obese body mass index. not much I could do about that as I want to keep a interior too.

That is one amusing thought seeing the look on people's faces when they see a beetle screaming past. But it really can't be the only reason for choosing that as a base

#36 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Kent
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

oh definitely, cupra and cupra r's have been done time and time again. It's just a nice easy base to start on.

Thinking about it the only mechanical parts that i really need is the control arms, front hubs and rear callipers off the LCR, TT, R32. I've already got a 6 speed box and brembo 4 pots. The rest of it is unimportant really.

The beetle will definitely be more of a fun technical exercise of fitting a medium turbo under that over hanging scuttle panel. Not that I think it'll be difficult, just be a case of careful measurements and whether I make my own exhaust manifold or purchase a cast one.

But the bug is also a big girl and I'd only be adding to her already slightly obese body mass index. not much I could do about that as I want to keep a interior too.

That is one amusing thought seeing the look on people's faces when they see a beetle screaming past. But it really can't be the only reason for choosing that as a base

I'm sure if you find the right colour, strip the interior of some things, light alloys, roll cage, nice seats it'd look pretty good...

Just like the beetles of yesteryear were always modified to look and be great, I'm sure the same thing would be achievable on the newer models.

A few interesting choices regardless of chassis.

What engine setup are you aiming for? :)

Caddy MK2 SDi  ·  Cordoba Vario TDi  ·  Puke Green Polo Estate TDi: AHU

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

NOW WITH: Weird TDI parts and custom stoof

#37 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Well you can always drop it in a lotus esprit or better exige.... but even that is done loads and to be fair you'll need about double the amount of bhp that you are aiming for to warrant the swap and feel good about it.... That said once that is done you've got a supercar slayer.....

#38 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

I have thought about it, but considering the moderate power I'm aiming for. It would horribly destroy the (lets face it all ready no great) power to weight ratio by adding another 100kg.
Besides I used to have a 300bhp golf. Generally speaking it costs a good 50bhp to run 4wd due to weight and drivetrain loss.
If I only manage 350bhp it makes me no better off than my original golf. 4wd is really for the 400+ crowd even then that's debatable imo

Mine was only 280bhp but the way it put it to the road was great revo and mountunes development focus rs got destroyed a few times before my mate gave up

#39 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm sure if you find the right colour, strip the interior of some things, light alloys, roll cage, nice seats it'd look pretty good...

Just like the beetles of yesteryear were always modified to look and be great, I'm sure the same thing would be achievable on the newer models.

A few interesting choices regardless of chassis.

What engine setup are you aiming for? :)

Yeah the new ish bugs can be made to look smart enough. I'm not going to go for a cage and what not though. It'll all add more weight and cost allot more too. It's got to still be useable to comfortably bung my little in the back for odd days out.

As for the engine it's a ARX 1.8t with around 50k miles on it. it'll be fairly stock except the head being ported and polished and the block with a set of forged rods. Still deciding whether to use a set of AGU Pistons I have laying around or just use the ones that are in it as I'm not aiming for crazy power.
The turbo will most likely be a gtx2867r or something very close to that. The manifold will either be a cheap highflow cast one or I'll make my own tubular manifold like I did on my last project.
Obviously I'll be making all my own charge pipes and exhaust system and any other fabrication that needs to be done along the way.

Gearbox wise I'll either go for a short final drive 2.0L 5 speed box, that I'll rebuild and reinforce. Or stick my awd TT 6 speed behemoth box in it just to weigh it down a touch more :P

So all in all I haven't made up much in my mind yet.

Well you can always drop it in a lotus esprit.... but even that is done loads and to be fair you'll need about double the amount of bhp that you are aiming for to warrant the swap and feel good about it.... That said once that is done you've got a supercar slayer.....

Hahaha yeah that would be crazy fun but way beyond what I'm aiming for in budget and in work to be done

#40 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Kent
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Looking forward to it

Caddy MK2 SDi  ·  Cordoba Vario TDi  ·  Puke Green Polo Estate TDi: AHU

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

NOW WITH: Weird TDI parts and custom stoof

#41 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

The Mrs is saying cupra hahaha.
Now strange thoughts of a 4wd cupra are popping in my head (must control myself)

Back on track, I've started cleaning the block.

360.jpg
  • rainbird likes this

#42 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Meanwhile in the land where you can get 4mo with any engine, I vote beetle

Edited by TomasLT, 15 September 2017 - 07:54 PM.

#43 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

The Mrs is saying cupra hahaha.
Now strange thoughts of a 4wd cupra are popping in my head (must control myself)
Back on track, I've started cleaning the block. 360.jpg

Did Europe not get a v6 4 motion Leon or was it just a v6

#44 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Did Europe not get a v6 4 motion Leon or was it just a v6

No cupra 4 over here bud

#45 Spud84

Spud84

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Walsall, West Midlands.
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v ARZ 150PS

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

Great build thread! Hopefully! 🤞🏻 you will end up with a beetle than can do this!! 👌🏻 https://youtu.be/Mmv52wg6lZw
  • MonK-E likes this

#46 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

Great build thread! Hopefully! you will end up with a beetle than can do this!!

Yeah we will see, allways has a chance of ending like my other builds. Fingers crossed it won't.

The porche, no problem. Even a couple of what I thought was evenly matched noble's. My old black golf used to destroy them at brands hatch. Lamborghini, hmmm possibly. GTR, doubt very much it'll be quicker. They are serious kit and out on track they were almost untouchable

360.jpg
  • Spud84 likes this

#47 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

Well that just means you need more bhp so do the best you can at first and keep in mind the hunger for power will always be there so with that in mind use the better piston so the engine is ready to be fitted with an even bigger turbo when the need for speed tickles you again.

#48 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

If I ever wanted to contend with GTR's it wouldn't just be more bhp. They are proper 4wd and very well balanced.

That's not really the point as I have no real desire to go that far. I'm limiting the project to something that is achievable with a smallish amount of cash. After 350-400bhp things start getting very expensive and costs escalat very quickly from there.

Besides I still have my kawasaki zx10r for insane speed needing. Just a couple of weeks ago I got up to 170 and it still had plenty more left to give, just me bottling it at that stage.

The car just needs to be fun and family friendly with a touch of MonK-E in it ;)

#49 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

No cupra 4 over here bud

There is a couple in the uk but they never sold them in the uk so they will be imports and left hand drive

#50 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

the speed demon always wants more speed and takes loads of souls in it's wake... I subdue mine with making sure i don't buy fast cars anymore... so a bike is completely out of the question ...I'll also end up being roadkill (i have this sickness that when the speedo is still climbing i will keep going until it stops, especially on bikes can't help myself)

that said just get the engine done already... you know what to do and how to do it... hell if you still have the subframe bits laying about you can easily build the whole lot up and just drop the engine out and put the new one in in a day.... i have seen a few beetles going for absolute peanuts so keep your eyes peeled for one with the most options than do your thing to it ;)   

• MonK-E likes this

#51 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Not done anything today as I've been looking into a property with a fair amount more space to play with.

However I did start thinking and researching beetle rsi's. Only 250 were ever made so the chances of actually getting one is slim. Not only that the price tag is around 40k which is obscene.
Basically just a r32 in beetle clothing. So I might look into doing a rsi replica with a 1.8t engine instead. It really depends on whether or not I can get the properly I'm after tbh.

#52 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Never heard of it

#53 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Never heard of it

Scroll down to special editions. Beetle RSi (2001–2003)
https://en.m.wikiped...E2.80.932003.29

#54 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

My god it's ugly! How did they take not a looker and made it even worse and called it special. Horrible...🤢 F#cks sake, I can't go to sleep now. I vote you keep it standard

#55 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hahaha. Don't worry they are so rare there aren't any kits about. The closest I could find is this but the price is crazy so I won't be doing that either

https://jkautospares..._bodykit_dt9007

#56 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

RSI has always been an ugly thing... and way overpriced.. just keep it as OEM as possible, sling on some nice wheels, put it ever so slightly lower so the wheels are sitting lovely within the arches...  even keep the flower in the pot in the dash... maybe put some Herbie decals on it... but i wouldn't i would have it looking as standard as possible.. just a bug on nice wheels... with a souped up engine ;) that is it.. nothing else needed... and as for aero parts I would maybe just put this thing on  and this roof spoiler that is it..  just look for the right color... sling in your engine than have fun blowing other cars away lol   

PS i vote black with some nice BBS LM's (or copies) 

#57 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

I vote yellow with simple or stock wheels. A no no for spoilers. Sleeper.

#58 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

I vote I'll do whatever I please :P

Air ride maybe hahaha.

Sleepers aren't really a true sleeper until 600bhp+ and look like they have just pulled out of grandmas drive.

IF I go down the beetle route, I will be doing at least some body work tweaks. Even if it's just a set of 18's, front bumper and re routing the exhaust through where the rear fog and reverse lights are.... something will be done

#59 MonK-E

MonK-E

Si

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2877 posts
  • East Sussex
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Taking it easy painting some block.
1st coat done

360.jpg

Once the second coat is on and dried I'll flip it over, clean and paint the other side.
Possibly next Sunday pull the sump off and have a poke about in there. I'm pretty confident on what I'm going to find hence painting the block before opening the sump.

#60 TomasLT

TomasLT

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

I'm ok with 600bhp+. If not sleeper, a snoozer maybe? Rear fogs as exhaust is
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens or don't

• MonK-E likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.