Not posted any updates for a while. So new year new, new plans
I've said goodbye to the awd conversion and started fabricating my own back end. The idea here is to remove the dynamic toe and camber change on the back end. The stock setup has about a degree of toe in on each side and it only gets worse the more the suspension compresses. While this might be good for cornering, it's certainly not the best idea for drag racing.
Any toe in is going to cause a reasonable amount of frictional loss and when you accelerate the back end squats alot.
So starting with a beam across the back end
Then on to making up some light weight tubular trailing arms.
After fabricating these I realised that the bend on the inside is too close to the mounting point to be able to fit a rose joint bung in the end of it.
So they went in the bin and I fabricated a fresh set
I stripped down the hub flanges of the original beam and cut them off. Using the stub axle in the lathe I bored out a hole the same diameter as the tube.
Then when the rose joins turned up I machined up the adapter bungs for them
I then made up a jig to hold it all in place
After welding it out. I added some reinforment to the back of the hub flange.
Time to offer it up
I haven't welded the shock mount on yet as I'll probably wait until I get a set of gaz rear coilovers.
I've also pretty much gone as far as I can with these until pay day due to needing rear wheel bearings.
I need to put the hubs back on with the wheels to get the track width right before I weld the mounting tabs on the beam.
That's about all I have done to the car for the minute but a few other little bits have turned up for the new engine build.
First off I found a tfsi crank for £150 so I couldn't resist
Then this little whistlie thing turned up.
Offering it up I should be able to make a small twinscroll extension to the manifold to get it to fit
I had to put it on the bench and compare it to a k03
Happy new year peeps