20 replies to this topic

#1 Eden

Eden

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

Hi there, new to the forums so please be patient if some questions have already been answered before (ive searched the forums)

i currently own this car http://www.cruisezon...nscelicagt.html and im looking to buy a Golf GT TDI 150

few questions

1. How can you tell a 150 from a 130? any specific markings in the engine etc?

2. What common faults should i look out for?

3. Whats the best "chip" people would reccomend?

thanks all

#2 taztam

taztam

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

Welcome to the forum Eden

Answer to questions

1. Not sure, somebody will be along soon to tell you. I know the intercoolers are different. 150 is front mounted and the 130 is at the side. I think the 130 has a 5speed box while the 150 is 6speed. I am not 100% so somebody please sort it out if i am wrong

2. If it has climate control check the fans. There is lots of information about this. So far i have had a fault with the fans but nothing else. I got the car back in december

3. What chip? that is the million dollar question! Revo, Superchip, CC, Jabba and a few others

Hope this helps

Tam

#3 eeef

eeef

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I beleive the 150 has a red T,D & I whereas the 130 just had a red D & I. I also thought that sometimes the 150 was badged as a GTI?

Both have 6 speed boxes though.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

dont go by the badges,  easily changed.

the sticker in the boot should read 110kw, or ring an VW dealer with the chassis number, alternatively HPI will tell you whether it is a 150 or 130. I think the 'splitter' on the 150 has 3 'holes'  and the others have 1 'hole'  but again easily changed

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

haha i have the all red TDI badge and it aint no 150!!!

6 Speed box was available on both as far as I understood+i may be incorrect but thought the 150 had a bigger turbo??

Revo do a 40bhp chip for both!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

Have you looked at the lettering on the engine - i think if it all red TDi - then it is a 150. Checking the sticker in the boot is another good option.

Both the 130 & 150 have 6 speed - the only other way to check is to drive it! - If the turbo is spooling up quickly with little lag then likely to be 130 - if it takes a moment but then feels like all hell is breaking loose then probably a 150.....

Had the same trouble when I was looking for one (mine is badged GTI (Red I)

#7 Drysdale

Drysdale

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:24 AM

Main characteristics of 150 TDI...

6-Speed gearbox, 110KW sticker, front 4motion valance, climate, '02 onwards and lastly (but least important...): all red 'TDI' logo on engine cover and rear badging.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

Main characteristics of 150 TDI...

6-Speed gearbox, 110KW sticker, front 4motion valance, climate, '02 onwards and lastly (but least important...): all red 'TDI' logo on engine cover and rear badging.

I would still get the chassis number and check with the stealer, most of the things above can be bought and replaced on the car.

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

From the factory the 150PD had the following extras over the 130PD:

* 16" Montreal II alloys (against the 130PD's 15" Avus II alloys)

* V6 front splitter

* Sports suspension (lowered / stiffer)

* Lumbar support on the front sports seats

* 3 headrests in the rear

* Climate control as standard from 2002 onwards (the 150PD was only introduced in 2001 so this covers the majority of them)

* Engine should be badged TDI

Of course any of the above could have been fitted to a 130PD (or a 115PD) either when new or afterwards, so the best way to be sure is to check under the bonnet: the intercooler is front-mounted in a 150PD - both the 115PD and 130PD have side-mounted intercoolers. Also on the underside of the carpet in the boot is a data sticker; the power output on that should be listed as 110KW (150bhp).  

You're probably best ignoring the rear badging as the dealers fitted either GTI, GTI or TDI and people often change them afterwards anyway. By contrast, all 115PD and 130PD models are badged GT TDI or simply TDI from 2001 onwards, but again many people change these badges themselves.

A 150PD is basically 1.8T GTI-spec, a diesel GTI if you like. The 130PD and 115PD are both GT-spec (biggest visual differences are the wheels and suspension). Note: all PD-engined Golfs (115, 130 and 150) had 6-speed boxes.

2. What common faults should i look out for?

Have a search on here; common problems are the cooling fans (mostly Climatronic models, approx. 400 dealer fix - there's a sticky post somewhere with details of how you can test the fans) and the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor - gets clogged up over time and results in poor performance. Approx. 60-80 part from a dealer on an exchange basis). There are other niggles like windows dropping, rear washer jet lines splitting and leaking water into your boot / rear electrics but again a search on here should turn up some info.

Cambelts are every 60k / 5 years on this engine so look out for / budget for that.

3. Whats the best "chip" people would reccomend?

Most of the tuners have their own sub-forum on here so have a look; popular ones though are REVO, Jabba and Upsolute. Most remaps for the 150PD seem to offer around 180-190bhp, real-world, although some tuners / rolling roads claim up to and over 200bhp which is very optimistic...

#10 antera309

antera309

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Hi Eden!

1. You can tell from the first three letters of the engine number (printed on the logbook and also appears on the car's VIN plate).  This is the engine code
TDI 130 is ASZ
TDI 150 is ARL

easy!

My brother has just bought a GTi Anniversary 150BHP and it's a lovely car.  Quick & refined.  You can't even hear the "diesely" noise from the engine because the turbo whine drowns it out!! Nice!

Good luck with your purchase!

Nick.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:44 AM

Think the 150 version came with fake wood trim too.

The 130 had an arm rest as standard, the 150 it was an option (why?).

The 150 suffers a bit of turbo lag but revs right through the range well, more like a petrol engine in a way.

The 130 I drove had more of a punch when the turbo kicked in, but dropped off over 3500k a bit.

As for badges, best thing it to ignore what is on the boot and as stated above, check the engine number for conformation.

TDI 130 is ASZ
TDI 150 is ARL

Just managed to do 650 miles to a tank of Diesel with mine, with all motorway miles & using the reserve tank cheat 700 miles should be possible.

Got some .pdf road tests if you want to read more.

Good luck with you search Eden...............

#12 Smiffo

Smiffo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:11 AM

As the owner of a TDI 150, if there's any owners on here who have had them chipped, i'd be interested in hearing what peoples opinions on the different chips are? I'm considering it for when my warranty runs out in a few months time, and wondered: is it worth it? worth it for the increased costs - fuel/insurance etc?

Also, if anyone can recommend an ARB for this model, i'd love to hear about that also?

Cheers[:D]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

i was on auto trader looking for a 150 bhp, as i soon found one i went along and got a quote from confused.com as i put in the car registration it came up with the car details.

it wasn't a 150, it was a 130! maybe that's one way you could tell..

#14 Bogwoppit

Bogwoppit

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

Not always the case, most insurance databases think my reg number is a 130 but it is actually a 150.

#15 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

Not speaking as an expert on the TDi, but I thought one of the things to be cautious of is the clutch, due to the immense torque of the PD150. A friend of mine was towing a boat on the M1 (not a huge one) and he said occasionally his revs would rise as the clutch was slipping (car not re-mapped). Have seen a lot of people on here chat about uprated clutch (Sachs?) due to clutch slip when re-mapped.

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#16 Kerrse

Kerrse

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

Just managed to do 650 miles to a tank of Diesel with mine, with all motorway miles & using the reserve tank cheat 700 miles should be possible.

650 !

I don't think i have ever got more than 400 miles out of a tank on my PD150 [cry]

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

well if you get a 150 arl let me know how it is as im going to get mine next month!!! cant waittttttt...

#18 butch488

butch488

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

i got a 130 goes like shoot off a stick bit too much lag tho n off the lights u get beat, i got beat by a pick up the other day n a bird was driving it how embarassing ooopsiiii

#19 Smiffo

Smiffo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:07 AM

650 !

I don't think i have ever got more than 400 miles out of a tank on my PD150 Crying

Yeah, 450 is the most i've had out of mine, and thats driving very carefully!

#20 Smiffo

Smiffo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

i got a 130 goes like shoot off a stick bit too much lag tho n off the lights u get beat, i got beat by a pick up the other day n a bird was driving it how embarassing ooopsiiii

They're not that bad! have you tried holding the revs above the turbo kick-in point? (c.1800 on the 150), you don't get any problems then...

#21 PD150BHP

PD150BHP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

The 150 has engine code ARL, Which should be on the V5 regestration document.

It should have TDI all in red on the engine cover.

It has a front mounted intercooler, the 130 has one on the OSF of the engine. If you jack the car up near the right front wheel, Have alook under that area, you should see an aluminium pipe running to the front of the car. this is the intake pipe for the intercooler.

Any futher questions please email me [email protected]

All the best David

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.