Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi all, 

Haven't been on the forum in a while as I sold my last Bora a couple of years ago. I started with a 1.6 Bora and moved to a 1.8t Highline. 

I enjoyed that car very much but had to get rid as it was getting on a bit and costing me too much money with the miles I do. My daily driver is now a Volvo diesel with a 'hearing-aid brown' interior.  :wub:

I was browing classifieds as you do and came across a Bora with great spec. It's a Japanese import so it has the chrome strips on the trim like the US spec GLIs, Recaro leather interior, Xenons and a sunroof. Oh, and it's the V6 4Motion  :D Most of you will know that's a pretty rare combo.. It's only got 64,000 miles and should be pretty clean as it's only recently come over, not even got reg plates yet. 

Wasn't looking at buying a second car until some time next year, but I couldn't pass this up so deposit has been paid and I'll be collecting it once it's all registered. 

HKnfjzT.jpg

wxn7q0Y.jpg

ErBflZK.jpg

sGcCfhP.jpg

j5rn4ds.jpg

• minidaveo likes this

#2 minidaveo

minidaveo

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Tidy arse very tidy

#3 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10614 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Looks very tidy indeed

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#4 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Very nice, sorry to be a boring git but please don't turn it into a scene / chav wagon, would be a pity to ruin it. The only mod I'd probably do to it to start with would be to fit the OEM rear parking sensors / valance. 

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#5 Andy_VR6

Andy_VR6

Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Very nice, sorry to be a boring git but please don't turn it into a scene / chav wagon, would be a pity to ruin it. The only mod I'd probably do to it to start with would be to fit the OEM rear parking sensors / valance. 

Will be staying mostly stock, although I would like some GLI valances if I can get them.

#6 dataflow

dataflow

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV Estate SE TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

That's very nice

#7 jamesm86

jamesm86

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1763 posts
  • South Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Maybe some biggers wheels or at least some spacers. Especially on the rears

looks real nice, seats look brand new

#8 TomasLT

TomasLT

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Definately wheels, joey mod and no wind deflectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Stonedofmoo

Stonedofmoo

PD297

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • Portsmouth, UK.
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Are you not going to get hit hard on insurance? I used to own a few turbocharged jap imports, and being an import at the time you could only deal with a limited number of insurers. Perhaps that situation has improved now? 

297bhp/400lbs torque @ 2.2bar. GTB2060VKLR, Firad 80%, Gas flowed head, oversized valves, Newmans 276 degree camshaft, Quaife LSD, 100 cell 'race' cat. Engine rebuild finished! https://uk-mkivs.net...gine-is-mapped/

#10 Andy_VR6

Andy_VR6

Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Definately wheels, joey mod and no wind deflectors.

Something has got to be done about the wheels, wind deflectors are going but I'm not touching the headlights. Also must remove those front tints, don't fancy a ticket.

Are you not going to get hit hard on insurance? I used to own a few turbocharged jap imports, and being an import at the time you could only deal with a limited number of insurers. Perhaps that situation has improved now? 

Insurance isn't too bad. This isn't going to be my main car so it will stay on a limited millage policy.

#11 nidub

nidub

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Northern Ireland
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

Nice find, looks super clean too
https://flic.kr/p/AFt3z4
01 Bora TDI 90 ALH

#12 welder1

welder1

welder1

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
  • South East Kent
  • Jetta Sport 2.0 TDI CR 140PS DSG

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Love them had 2 4 motion Boras

#13 madkat

madkat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Bucharest, Romania
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Wow, great find!

Keep it clean - the same i did with my vr6 golf - besides from replacing the steering wheel with a perforated leather one, and the forest inside with bora netzeffekt trim - i did nothing to it.

Oh, and i have a nice oem-ish looking android satnav, which i'm planning to install during the holidays.

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

#14 Andy_VR6

Andy_VR6

Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

So I haven't had a chance to get any pictures in the daylight yet, but first impressions are good. 

The car has obviously been taken care of. Very good condition, a couple of small jobs that need doing but nothing major. 

The drivers door module has failed which is pretty common, however I didn't realise that until I managed to lock all the keys inside of it (I know, I'm an idiot). Car is now sans a door lock but I have a delock kit on its way. FYI, if you haven't delocked your car yet do it now. I had no idea what I was doing but managed to unlock this thing in 30 seconds.

Car actually has coilovers, didn't know until I collected it. Was a bit worried because most cars I've had with coilovers ride like crap, but these are Bilstein ones and it rides great. Nice and flat through the corners but still comfy.

Some nice Japanese oddities such as the Recaros being electrically adjustable (both sides). Pretty sure we didn't get that here. The Gamma headunit also plays Minidiscs instead of tapes. 

FYI, PM me if anybody is selling a set of GLI rears.

#15 Calico

Calico

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

Id say its your car do what you want hate the purists who try telling people what to do with their cars after they have modified their own. It looks nice btw

#16 Ryan_20

Ryan_20

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • South London
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Proper nice looking bora mate, would love to have them seats, been looking around and cant see any like them, wonder how hard it would be to put them in a uk spec  :Y:

#17 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

Proper nice looking bora mate, would love to have them seats, been looking around and cant see any like them, wonder how hard it would be to put them in a uk spec  :Y:

You can't be looking very hard as there is plenty for sale

#18 Ryan_20

Ryan_20

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • South London

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

You can't be looking very hard as there is plenty for sale

Even with electronic adjustment ?

#19 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

That would be a no. You are correct Ryan, electric "motorised" Recaro seats are very rare in the UK and some people have resorted to building them using a combination of original Golf leather Recaros and motorised leathers from a Seat. 

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#20 lmochan22

lmochan22

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Dundee
  • Bora SE 1.6 16v AUS 105PS

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

If it’s motorised one’s you want, you could always go with S3 seats and get a Kufatec loom for them? The Recaro motorised ones are rare in the UK as stated above

#21 Ryan_20

Ryan_20

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • South London

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

That would be a no. You are correct Ryan, electric "motorised" Recaro seats are very rare in the UK and some people have resorted to building them using a combination of original Golf leather Recaros and motorised leathers from a Seat. 

Yeah i thought so, never seem em haha, i don't know if im capable of doing all of that 

If it’s motorised one’s you want, you could always go with S3 seats and get a Kufatec loom for them? The Recaro motorised ones are rare in the UK as stated above

Would the seats obviously have to be from a 2000-2005 s3 for the frame rails to match ?

#22 lmochan22

lmochan22

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Dundee
  • Bora SE 1.6 16v AUS 105PS

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yeah i thought so, never seem em haha, i don't know if im capable of doing all of that

Would the seats obviously have to be from a 2000-2005 s3 for the frame rails to match ?

Probably mate, seen it done though!

#23 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

They are manual adjustment seats look at the picture so yes they are easy to get

#24 madkat

madkat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Bucharest, Romania
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

The adjustment in the picture seems to be the lumbar one. Which is mechanical, even on electric seats.

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

#25 Ceedark

Ceedark

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Yep, I have them in mine, bolt straight in. Heavy as pig though.

Wiring is straightforward too, just need power + ground

#26 Ryan_20

Ryan_20

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • South London

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yep, I have them in mine, bolt straight in. Heavy as pig though.

Wiring is straightforward too, just need power + ground

Might have to look into that then, cheers for the help bud!

They are manual adjustment seats look at the picture so yes they are easy to get

Fair enough, think i need to get myself down to specsavers haha

Sorry for half jacking the thread andy!!

#27 Andy_VR6

Andy_VR6

Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Correct Madkat, it's manual lumbar support but the rest of the adjustments are electric, including 3 memory settings.

#28 Earl_C

Earl_C

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Shropshire
  • Other Models

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

:lol-lol:  :lol-lol: This guy clearly knows more about your car than you do Andy! An expert from looking at your photos, compared to dumb old you with, you know, the actual car to look at and everything  :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:

This is a beaut, and although no "purist" it would be a shame to see it slammed and "stanced". Worse still "stealth mode" style  :o

Subscribed to this, a very special car indeed  :Y:

Amateur build thread : https://uk-mkivs.net...-green-machine/ Now deceased, see here for parts  https://uk-mkivs.net...howtopic=649256

Crisis Car: https://uk-mkivs.net...er-life-crisis/

As Dan FR once said "If you don't like the answers you get, don't let the door hit you on the way out"

#29 Andy_VR6

Andy_VR6

Bora Addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1207 posts
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I haven't done much with the car as of yet as with it being winter and all. But I have really been enjoying driving it, still puts a smile on my face everytime.

To those worried I'm going to chav it up, don't! While I do think this would look good on air with some old school split chrome wheels, I don't have the time or money to make this happen. This is also a really good example of the car so I'm not sure I want to make a change I can't undo. 

With this having the chrome mouldings already, I was thinking of adding some more GLI pieces; front/rear valance, skirts, rear lights and boot if I can stretch to it. It would involve importing parts from the US so certainly no easy feat. I am looking for a set of BBS RC - they came on the GLIs and anniversary Golfs. The existing BBS wheels it has are in really good condition, but only 17".

My plans for the near future are:

• A full service, with all fluids changed. The garage I bought it from did a "service" but I don't know how much that entails. The coolant looks a bit naff so certainly not everything.
  • A Haldex service. All the service history is in Japanese so I have no idea if this has ever been done.
  • Brakes - New discs and pads, the ones on it are looking a bit sorry for themselves and don't fill me with confidence.
  • Radio - The car came with Gamma minidisc player. Pretty cool seeing how we didn't get them here, but as it's for the Japanese market it doesn't pick up stations too well. I want to keep it OEM. I have a decent aftermarket setup in my daily so no need to start being silly with this. I might but a MFD1 in it if I can find one at a good price. I know the sat nav will be useless, but then the car would have every option available when new which would be cool. The CD changer will need replacing too, Japanese spec cars use a Sony CD changer not compatible with the other stereos.
  • Hopefully find a nice set of BBS RC wheels.

While the car is in good condition, I have found a few problems with it that will need addressing. Luckily nothing serious.

• I occationally loose ABS/traction control. Probably an ABS sensor or something, I will hook it up to VCDS soon.
  • Faulty door module
  • Glovebox keeps opening by itself!

Anyway, here she is after a wash last week. 

HYTLSzQ.jpg

Also, I finally got around to removing those horrible wind deflectors. It looks like the previous owner fixed them in place with some kind of sealant. It's quite soft like bathroom sealant. Can anybody suggest anything to get this off without disolving my paint?

wtMgams.jpg

#30 Smudger_130/4MO

Smudger_130/4MO

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Herefordshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Wd40 is meant to be good for that or you could try a toffee wheel on a drill
😡Never argue with an idiot!...... They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience😡

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.