Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I haven't done much with the car as of yet as with it being winter and all. But I have really been enjoying driving it, still puts a smile on my face everytime.
To those worried I'm going to chav it up, don't! While I do think this would look good on air with some old school split chrome wheels, I don't have the time or money to make this happen. This is also a really good example of the car so I'm not sure I want to make a change I can't undo.
With this having the chrome mouldings already, I was thinking of adding some more GLI pieces; front/rear valance, skirts, rear lights and boot if I can stretch to it. It would involve importing parts from the US so certainly no easy feat. I am looking for a set of BBS RC - they came on the GLIs and anniversary Golfs. The existing BBS wheels it has are in really good condition, but only 17".
My plans for the near future are:
- A full service, with all fluids changed. The garage I bought it from did a "service" but I don't know how much that entails. The coolant looks a bit naff so certainly not everything.
- A Haldex service. All the service history is in Japanese so I have no idea if this has ever been done.
- Brakes - New discs and pads, the ones on it are looking a bit sorry for themselves and don't fill me with confidence.
- Radio - The car came with Gamma minidisc player. Pretty cool seeing how we didn't get them here, but as it's for the Japanese market it doesn't pick up stations too well. I want to keep it OEM. I have a decent aftermarket setup in my daily so no need to start being silly with this. I might but a MFD1 in it if I can find one at a good price. I know the sat nav will be useless, but then the car would have every option available when new which would be cool. The CD changer will need replacing too, Japanese spec cars use a Sony CD changer not compatible with the other stereos.
- Hopefully find a nice set of BBS RC wheels.
While the car is in good condition, I have found a few problems with it that will need addressing. Luckily nothing serious.
- I occationally loose ABS/traction control. Probably an ABS sensor or something, I will hook it up to VCDS soon.
- Faulty door module
- Glovebox keeps opening by itself!
Anyway, here she is after a wash last week.
Also, I finally got around to removing those horrible wind deflectors. It looks like the previous owner fixed them in place with some kind of sealant. It's quite soft like bathroom sealant. Can anybody suggest anything to get this off without disolving my paint?