Ian_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

I saw this thread in the mk4 forum and it got a good response, so credit to whoever started it there, and hope they don't mind me starting it here.

Well  I've got a 2.0 TDI Match 2012, so to start off:

Number 1: I really don't like the fact I can't tell when the doors are actually locked, there is no pin to give visible indication.

If one of them didn't lock, I doubt I'd ever know till some opportunist tried it and broke in.  Yes, I know there are sensors but there is probably still potential for a dodgy lock to get missed by a dodgy sensor.

Number 2: Stupid speedo goes up in increments of 10mph till we get to 80, then it jumps to 100 followed by 20mph steps!

So there is a graduation between 80 and a 100: What is that 85 or 90? 

Ok so if we stick to the speed limit it would never be an issue.  But if you are going to keep up with the car in front on the outside lane of the motorway, then chances are you'll be doing between 80 and 100.  So guess what - the speed is confusing to read at those speeds and critically at a time when you might prefer to move in to the middle lane and let the fast cars get on with law breaking speeds.

Number 3: Silly format of buttons to turn on the interior lights.  There are so many buttons up there in that panel, and they are all flush, so you have no chance of turning the interior light on without prodding randomly to try and get the right one.

Number 4:  Head rests lean forward, so I can't sit straight in the seat, probably a safety feature, but I have never seen such an uncomfortable forced head-forward position.

Other minor niggles are

The pokey little single reversing light and single fog lamp.

Silly positioning of a couple of switches between gear lever and that little compartment.  Why here???   WHY?  Why not on the panel with all the other controls?

No audible bleep when I lock and unlock the car, so I am forced to turn round and look at the indicators to make sure the locking action has taken place.  Whats the problem with a simple bleep.  I think the horn can be enable, but you don't want a horn blip at night time do you.

#2 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf VI GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

I have a 2.0 tdi. I have an issue its not a GTI!!!

The EGR / DPF is my main gripe about the car.
Since the software update its forever regenning itself when I feel its not needed.
I know what Ians saying about the speedometer too, have to be careful “when overtaking only” on the motorway 😉
Other than that I think its a pretty decent car but ill defo be going petrol sometime soon.

#3 Ian_TDI

Ian_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

I declined the numerous invites from VW to have the software update.  I couldn't see any good coming from it.

I had to insist many times that the garage wouldn't do it when it went for it's last MOT/service, they assured me they would leave it alone, but I've no idea if they did it or not.  Car dives OK like it used to.

A friend recently had to trade in his Seat 2.0 tdi because after the software mod it was terrible to drive.

I haven't had any EGR/DPF issues.  My cars on 65k miles, I would have been happy to have the DPF delete option, but I heard recently the MOT does a more thorough physical check to make sure it is actually present.  I don't know how good the delete options are.

Me too.  I am going to sell my 2.0TDI and get a Petrol mk7 TSI 150 ACT  next year.  And then I will be worrying about ACT reliability (runs on 2 cylinders apart from when working hard, and it's always the same 2 cylinders it runs on!)

#4 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf VI GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

Yeah im likely to go for that option too although i am debating whether to go for a seat leon as that shapes a bit more radical than the mk7 or 7.5. I also hate the merc-esce new chrome trim around the exhaust holes that the 7.5 has, prefer good old fashioned twin pipes!

#5 Ian_TDI

Ian_TDI

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

I had never noticed those merc style exhaust holes on the new golf.  I am ok about it, but, like you,  I would definitely prefer 2 fat round tail pipes.

You are right about the SEAT shape, it looks good, but I still prefer the Golf with that distinctive panel behind the rear door, with no silly triangle windows and triangular panels.

#6 dieseljuice

dieseljuice

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Never had the software upgrade as I works just fine.

2011 2.0L Tdi Match

What do I hate.......er......nothing!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.