Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hey everyone, hope you all had a nice Christmas and new year.

My current mk4 golf (gt tdi 130) is getting a little annoying with its doors so... im debating either going for 

a) same again but with 5doors and lower mileage (ill stick with 115 or 130bhp)

or

B) mk5 tdi /gt tdi 140/70.

Reasons for either advice wise please. As far as I was aware..mk5 generally look a bit nicer and obviously newer, mk4s better built engines, and sturdier interior, with better mpg.

Generally im looking for reliability and running costs.... ive been very happy with my mk4 over the 2 n half years ive owned it. Anyway, thoughts and advice welcomed!

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11078 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

Can you not just fix the doors? I assume you mean the modules?
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 Marcousroony

Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Can you not just fix the doors? I assume you mean the modules?

haha sorry its deleted the crucial part 3-Door

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11078 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

I'm still confused...
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#5 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Kent

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

haha sorry its deleted the crucial part 3-Door

So you're saying  you'd prefer 5 doors rather than the 3 you have?

I'd get another MK4 and sell yours... There's less and less 3 door TDi's around so you probably won't lose much money wise!

Caddy MK2 SDi TDi - PD150 Turbo, .320 Nozzles, 2.5" Powerflow. many spoods ·  Cordoba Vario TDi  ·  Puke Green Polo Estate TDi: AHU

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

NOW WITH: Weird TDI parts and custom stoof

#6 Marcousroony

Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

haha yes! correct! I just didn't know if there was any reason to go to a mk5 over the mk4........other than they look a bit nicer/newer

#7 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4545 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

haha yes! correct! I just didn't know if there was any reason to go to a mk5 over the mk4........other than they look a bit nicer/newer

Primary reason for picking a 5 would be for the much better suspension set up making it smoother, quieter, more comfortable and much better grip and handling. There is also more room and as the shell is more rigid less rattles and squeaks. It also looks better IMHO and less dated particularly as the mk6 was primarily a styling update of the 5 and at a cursory glance they can be hard to differentiate.

Engine wise all the 5 diesel engines are PD units the 90 and 105ps units 1.9 the more powerful 2.0l although they're all related to and developed from the 1.9 units in the 4 so no major issues.

The 5 units do have more complex emissions gear (EGR) and more likelyhood of having a DPF fitted which can be more troublesome in low/slow mileage duty and style.

Cabin equipment and quality was rather better on the 4 but as they're older it kinda evens out. Ive had my 07 5 for 7 years and its wearing well and nothing broke. It looks rather better than a new Fiesta loan car I had recentlty

Sent from my GT-I8190N

#8 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Let me know how much u want for your car if you're selling thanks

#9 Marcousroony

Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Let me know how much u want for your car if you're selling thanks

I may well do...although im concerned about a headgasket issue so hold fire!

#10 Marcousroony

Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Primary reason for picking a 5 would be for the much better suspension set up making it smoother, quieter, more comfortable and much better grip and handling. There is also more room and as the shell is more rigid less rattles and squeaks. It also looks better IMHO and less dated particularly as the mk6 was primarily a styling update of the 5 and at a cursory glance they can be hard to differentiate.

Engine wise all the 5 diesel engines are PD units the 90 and 105ps units 1.9 the more powerful 2.0l although they're all related to and developed from the 1.9 units in the 4 so no major issues.

The 5 units do have more complex emissions gear (EGR) and more likelyhood of having a DPF fitted which can be more troublesome in low/slow mileage duty and style.

Cabin equipment and quality was rather better on the 4 but as they're older it kinda evens out. Ive had my 07 5 for 7 years and its wearing well and nothing broke. It looks rather better than a new Fiesta loan car I had recentlty

Sent from my GT-I8190N

brilliant! you're a star, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Cheers!

#11 Marcousroony

Marcousroony

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • midlands

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

I may well do...although im concerned about a headgasket issue so hold fire!

phew! I think its just a leaky bottom hose.

#12 HelenVWnut

HelenVWnut

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • North Yorkshire

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Love mk4 pds but our 2004 Touran has an early mk5 1.9 pd tdi engine (no troublesome dpf) and they are pretty bulletproof. It's on 170,000 miles now and 100% reliable. It's only 99hp but pulls the heavier Touran around well! 6 speed gearbox fine too. You may want to stick with what you know and go for another mk4 pd, but I think mk5 1.9 pd tdis without dpf are good too.
1.8t with modest mods : Stage 1 remap, 008 Forge DV, Pipercross panel air filter, silicone air hoses, AGU charge pipe, Powerflex diesel dogbone mount.
Keeping the rest of the car totally standard for now!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.