#1 Scott1.8T

Scott1.8T

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Hi All,
My trusty MK4 1.8T GTi has been playing up recently and I've convinced myself its time to upgrade and treat myself.

I'm looking at used 2.0 TSI GTi's and have some questions if anyone can help.

budget: 17k

Questions
  • Is the performance pack a MUST have? I don't know what the pack fully entails to be fair.
  • What sort of Spec / Mileage should I be looking at for 17K? I know this can depend on so many variables, personally I don't want anything over 45-50k on the clock.
  • I absolutely hate the Jacara Cloth interior does that mean I'm stuck with leather? dont see many other options about on the GTI's I've been looking at. I quite like the R seats interior (attached a photo.)
  • 3dr or 5dr ?? opinions please, personally I think the GTI's just don't look right in 5dr, but when picking people up and general life I'm considering 5dr, even though my heart says 3dr.
  • 1 big question for me is Manual or DSG, DSG seems like the way forward but I've never been a fan of having No Clutch pedal and I'm wondering if down the line repairs & services to a manual box will be cheaper. Heavily veering towards a Manual over DSG.
  • Here is a car I was looking at: https://www.autotrad...isc&fromSA=true would anyone care to comment on the PRO's and CON's on the model for the price and spec? good/bad ? the mileage is a tad high for me personally but seems like a half decent deal?
I have more questions but I'll finish here for now in case nobody can be bothered with me :D

Thank you
Scott

Attached Files

#2 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

That's overpriced in my opinion and for 17k you might get an r

#3 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

In fact there's plenty at 17k just one example

https://www.ebay.co....5kAAOSwBkRaRkDU

#4 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Other Models

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

Not that I own one, but based on a discussion I had today with a work colleague, AVOID the DSG gearbox !

He's just back from visiting his sister in Oz & she called him yesterday as her less than 1 year old Mk 7 came up with a fault code. From memory fault code said something about "P Sensor" being in the wrong position. He googled it & the subsequent answer came from the Skoda members forums - full explanation - how to find the right code in the software when scanning it, etc, etc.

Pointed to a specific sensor that has been plaguing the Mk7 since release !

552681.png

#5 unitzero

unitzero

Vag addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5475 posts
  • Midlands

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

I ordered my 5dr DSG GTI from new and decided against the Performance Pack. Didn’t see the need for big brakes and a limited slip diff for my commute to work, having not had these extras I don’t miss them.

Owned mine for 2 years and the DSG box is awesome, I wouldn’t go back to a manual given the chance.

17k should get you a decent example a few years old with under 50k for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Scott1.8T likes this
27786273210_6ebcc383ef.jpg

Keep up with my photo's on instagram:  @_baz

#6 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester
  • Golf VI GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

The performance pack adds about 20bhp i believe and ive only heard good things about the DSG box.
Interior wise its the check or leather unless you get the R.
Ive been looking at GTI’s too and like the panaramic roof option as i really miss having a sun roof.
14 plates are between 14 and 16k depending on spec, anything cheaper is either cat d or high miles or ragged!
For an R youre looking at either a late mk6 or again mega miles for similar price
  • DSG7GTI likes this

#7 Scott1.8T

Scott1.8T

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regards buying a car on eBay im too much of a mug to take the risk and spend so much money on a possible ringer. I know I may end up paying extra via a dealer but at least you get some warranty and security.

In fact there's plenty at 17k just one example

https://www.ebay.co....5kAAOSwBkRaRkDU

Is the Performance Pack just upgrades to the brakes and BHP then? or is there different styling on grills or bumpers with it ?

I love the R interiror but doubt ill find one for my price range with below 50k miles. The Jacara Cloth is horrible so looks like I will have to go Leather.

Have been looking for 2 weeks now and only found 1 which I would have snapped up but it sold that same morning it was listed apparently :(

#8 Scott1.8T

Scott1.8T

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Any opinions on this for the price chaps:

https://www.autotrad...e=wr40he&page=1 

?

#9 barrym381

barrym381

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Another r in a dealer if that helps

https://www.arnoldcl...9u0wt0t8da99h18

#10 Scott1.8T

Scott1.8T

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Another r in a dealer if that helps

https://www.arnoldcl...9u0wt0t8da99h18

5dr and solid red, not for me thank you, but appreciate your replies.

I'm just trying to gage prices v spec/mileage and gain an understanding on whats a good deal and whats a bad for my budget and what other people think. 

#11 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

A lot of the cars on ebay are with dealers/sales. Its just a cheaper autotrader. Im not saying buy one through ebay but go to the seller as you would a dealer.

#12 leeabr101

leeabr101

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

White one with a dealer on ebay with 58k for 16.2k. 2014 plate. Lesser miles and youre in the similar region to the one you posted ariund 17.5-18k

#13 Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

Danger Seeker

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Brexit-Land

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

if you can hold out till march, be quite a few more on offer. new number plate = part exchanges..

you'll find better spec GTI's too ( DCC  8'' sat-nav screens  Dyn audio leather sunroofs ) plus most R's are just base entry spec

:cop:   MK4   Golf   is   the   graveyard   of   your   Ambition    :cop:

#14 Scott1.8T

Scott1.8T

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks Rex Kramer I was thinking the same and I can hold on until then at the moment. Im struggling to find what I want at my current price range.

The first week I looked I saw two which I would of bought straight away. Since then nothing has come up that fits the bill.

#15 Mmalkie

Mmalkie

Dinny gees any o yir pash !

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts
  • Sunny Scotland
  • Other Models

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

Ok....

It's been 2 years since I passed comment on here & my Mk6 Estate has now hit 148K . I've been thru a couple of rough years with the old bird, having to fork out hand over fist trying to fix the suspension / geometry set up, instead of burning thru a set of rear tyres every 5k miles, as well as going to VW for bodywork warranty repairs on a 10 year old car, only to be told that there is "No Goodwill", so I think it's time to 'trade up' to a Mk7,

I've been looking all the regular sources for cars (EXCEPT e-Bay), like Das Welt / Hey Car / Autotrader & Cazoo.  It is obvious (IMHO), that many of the dealerships are actually holding the prices of cars on the high side. I think that £9k for a car with circa 60k miles that is 5 years old is a bit much, with cars that are 6 & 7 years old still commanding between £7 & £8k (as long as the mileage is below 45k miles). I am a wagon fan (much to the annoyance of the wife), & I'd rather run with a 1.6L TDI, than the 2L. I'm also a manual fan & am still avoiding the DSG arrangements (mainly due to the repair costs !).

So....

Has anyone got any additional advice to add about foibles that the Mk7 has after running them for 2+ years, anything to watch out for (like windows always fogging up / water ingress) ?

552681.png

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.