So, today the weather was good; and I actually woke up before 1am Had to drive my mother to an appointment at the hospital.
Anyway; after my drive; I let the car cool for a bit and started work.
The agenda for today's work is below:
- Remove the shoot EGR valve and ASV
- Clean the bae
- Fit EGR Delete pipe from Darkside
- Fit 15mm engine spacers from Creations Motorsport
- Mr Muscle the turbo
- New expansion tank
Anyway, I got through the whole list, took some pictures whilst I was there... First order of business was removing the old EGR valve... I undid the two nuts on the pipe from the exhaust manifold, and the two bolts for the small pipe leading to the lower part of the valve, removed this out the way. I actually found it had a ghetto blanking plate installed, made from a small piece of ally. Sadly, as I continued and removed a boost pipe I found a lot of gunk inside. (pic below)
YUCK! Anyway, the battle continued and the EGR was removed by taking out 3 allen head bolts. After this was done I plugged the vac lines with the bolts until I re-do the silicone vac lines and delete other valves later (Soon tm)
BLEH, Absolutely horrid... Yes: I cleaned out what I could access, but seeing as I'll be adding a FMIC soon I didn't strip down much... plus I only had a few hours!
Using some tubing, I snaked a pipe in through the EGR entrance on the exhaust manifold; and filled it with a good helping of Mr Muscle. Positioning the hose wasn't the easiest, it's quite hard to tell where it is! Felt like it went down into the turbo where it should be though
Anyway, whilst that was "cookin" I decided to install my engine spacers... The articles I got were a set of 15mm Spacers from Creations Motorsport. I'm hoping spacing the engine upwards, along with the sump will prevent me from busting it up over speed bumps. All about lows now. These things cost around £50 for a full set, but I got mine from eBay new in packaging for £25
Anyway, jacked up the engine from underneath, undid the stock engine mounts. Seeing as these come with new bolts I wasn't worried about having to replace hardware! Slid the mounts (and smaller rings) under associated mounts and side brackets, then bolder it back into place.
One thing to note; I didn't install the dog bone mount spacers (the big donut things in the above photo). Why? Well... These space the engine off the dog bone, which raises the engine! Unfortunately the main problem with this is that the dogbone is still as low as before... meaning if you hit something nasty you are at a much higher risk to catch that rather than the frame of the car... I've read online of a few horror stories of it happening, and since for a 15mm height change it isn't totally essential, I skipped it.
Not gonna run more lows because of this, but hopefully won't kill any sumps
Anyway, turbo cleaned and now sitting for an hour or so, I reassembled the new EGR delete pipe. Mounted up super easily, only major thing was cutting the metal spring bracket from the boost pipe... but that was only 5 minutes with a hacksaw
Blanking plate and pipe installed, I reconnected the boost pipe with the provided clip. Fitted my new expansion tank too whilst I was at it... CLEAN! The old one was positively janky. (I'll grab a piccie tomorrow...)
Tomorrows work is getting my Caddy ready for it's MOT on Tuesday The handbrake has none / little reserve travel and one of the wing indicators has a dead bulb, I'm sure I have a few of those somewhere
Anyway, that's me for today!