jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:06 AM

I now present, the newest member of my VW family (I'm nuts right?).

A PD130, Tornado Red, 3dr MK4 Golf.

HxtLf39.jpg?1

Lots of mods to come, as usual I can't keep my grubby mitts off. Currently clocking in at over 225k miles, running a generic re-map and scoring over 50 mpg on my daily commute to work (where I get most of my parts..  :whistle: )

j2PuuLx.jpg?3

Already lowered on coilovers, steels to boot because the owner before last couldn't stop cracking alloys  :lol-lol:

Mine for the bargain price of £400; since I needed a car and I needed one pretty quickly  :whistle:

Came from a family who now have two small kids... bought some Vauxhall / Opel wagon of some kind, but the owner before was a family friend who had the car for 8 years prior... meaning I got a fairly decent service history.

I have to say, at £400 I was expecting a few issues, and I wasn't to be dissapointed!

In no particular order, see the issues I found upon inspection below:

• Cracked Sump
  • Faulty wiper relay (wouldn't turn off)
  • No brake lights

So far, nothing else; so I got her home and set to work!

(post 2 with more information!)

Caddy MK2 SDi  ·  Cordoba Vario TDi  ·  Puke Green Polo Estate TDi: AHU

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

NOW WITH: Weird TDI parts and custom stoof

#2 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

So first order of business, the wipers wouldn't turn off, so wiper relay I had laying around from another MK4 I stripped.

PluJ7nE.jpg

Fitted, sorted some codes (relay 167 I had new laying around, so replaced it).

Found my brake lights were just a blown fuse, not the switch; so saved a bit there  :lol-lol:

Next up was my sump, as I found a few small spidery cracks on it.

G35f9JH.jpg

Went to my local TPS; picked up a bendy pipe for a special shallow sump I had  :whistle:

I wonder why it was leaking...

Z1SADCU.jpg

Hmm... Time to put the new one on, got my bendy pipe in place; and a nice Vaico shallow sump... and a GASKET!

Yes, that's right... a gasket. No silicone in sight here  :rolleyes:  Nice easy install and touch wood... no leaks so far!

ohDfXO5.jpg?1

After the sump was in, it was time for some filters; and the friendly folks at GSF helped out with that. New oil + air filter (I already had some spare new febi cabin filters)

UAXgcXy.jpg?1

So thats in, it's no leaking. Slightly shallow-er sump and I've got engine spacers to go in to alleviate any more floor kisses from the engine  :lol-lol:

hwsXNuh.jpg?1

Ahh... that's better!

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#3 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

So that's me caught up to present... I'll try and keep a bit more active on here as I continue to fix + mod this one... hopefully it won't break too badly.

I've got a slightly lazy starter motor, after I fire up it sometimes sticks out a bit; so that'll need to be fixed.

The air filter I pulled was pretty manky... DqNDmKc.jpg?1

Definitely glad I swapped that out.

Next up from me is an EGR delete, Mr-Muscling my turbo, Clock Mods, Interior mods and swapping to some slightly better seats than the standard cloth recaros... We'll see I'm sure!

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#4 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:25 AM

Oh, and worth a mention; if anyone has any Tornado Red panels... hit me up  :Y:  I'm in the south east and the wings, boot and bumpers are fairly rotten / flaky..

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#5 rainbird

rainbird

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Plymouth, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Beauty! Sounds like you got a bargain there and a strong start point. Well on top of the niggles already too :)

#6 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Beauty! Sounds like you got a bargain there and a strong start point. Well on top of the niggles already too :)

Yeah. It's had regular oil changes every 6 months regardless of mileage. I'm keeping an eye out for the VaoHTFm.jpg?1cams.

Good news is we sell the camshaft kit at work, so I can pick it up at a bargain price should it start to go  :Y:  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#7 rainbird

rainbird

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Plymouth, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Where is it you work and what LCR parts do you stock?! :P
  • Bitter_Sweet likes this

#8 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

Where is it you work and what LCR parts do you stock?! :P

Ferdinand Bilstein UK / febi  :whistle:

• rainbird likes this

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#9 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1601 posts
  • Croydon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

Damn bro now u say 😂😂 ur in London too right

Bolf gttdi asz 130/200 ish MK4 Golf 1.8t aum running after hard graph

http://GLENDILS 1.8T...DI BUILD THREAD

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

#10 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Damn bro now u say ur in London too right

Kent. So not too far  :lol-lol:

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#11 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

As a fun note, work did a rally/drive? round Europe as a marketing thing for a new warehouse in the UK. They had a few nice cars... but also a fully wrapped MK2 Caddy.

cbs3iRN.jpg

Not one to pass up a good deal :) 

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#12 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1601 posts
  • Croydon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

I’m not a fan of red cars but every time u post I grow more to ur car the red with black steals are working maybe the way the wheels sit just to the arch u thinking of changing wheels
  • jwrb likes this

Genuine ross tech hex+can code mk4 clocks and keys mte lit needles and other adaptions read faults and send in email PM me

#13 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:58 AM

I’m not a fan of red cars but every time u post I grow more to ur car the red with black steals are working maybe the way the wheels sit just to the arch u thinking of changing wheels

Right now I'm a bit cash strapped... I still cant decide what to go for. When I do it'll be 18s.

I have some spare steels so quite tempted to band them, small bit of stretch and a low offset to bring them out and fill the arch. Could look nice and not a look many go for  :whistle:

I know steels are good for me, my commute to work is about 25 miles, with almost all of that down windy, pothole covered country roads. On my 2.SLOW I killed a few alloys, a number of tyres.

Worst was when I bent a steel on a harsh pothole... pulled over and put air in, drove 200m and I could hear air escaping with the window down  :lol-lol:

So I pulled over again, jacked the car up with a trolley jack I had in the boot, inspected the rim and tyre to find a nice big bent flat spot on the inner bead.... Few firm love taps from Mr. Hammer (also in the boot) and she was golden... back on and did another 3,000 miles of harsh driving before she blew out on new years morning at 3am  :wacko: . Threw a spare on after that and got a new tyre... Still glad I had steels though.

Not to mention if I smack a curb I'm not fussed... if they get damaged the cost to replace is maybe £60 new... or £80 for a set of 4 used  :Y:  B)

Regarding red cars... I've never been a fan myself... but I really like this one; it sits about where I want, fun to boot around and still gets at least 45+ mpg being booted down the country lanes :whistle: . It's the (I've been told?) rarer colour red as well, and compared to a Flash Red you can definitely tell the difference... It seems to pop a little more  :wub:

Next up from me is a new colour MFA install, Diesel style this time. I'll also be wiring up the boost lines to the ECU from the cluster so I'll be able to monitor boost levels and also use the stalk to control boost while driving  :D

It's gonna be good... but this time round I'll try and keep you posted a little more  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#14 Calico

Calico

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • Crawley West Sussex
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

i wasn't looking for  red one when I bought but when I saw it I had to buy ir but the way its gone I regeret it now should have bought another one, mines tornado red as well

#15 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

i wasn't looking for  red one when I bought but when I saw it I had to buy ir but the way its gone I regeret it now should have bought another one, mines tornado red as well

Aye, I'm pretty much the same. I was just looking for a derv to replace my dead 2.SLOW.... I saw this; took it for a drive and loved it... Compared to a 2.SLOW it pulls and it's my first turbo vehicle (to drive and also to own).

Love the colour as well... but I'm after R32 front and rear bumpers currently + tornado red wings.

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#16 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

So another job jobbed. 40 224 mcd 5500K white SMD LED's have been ordered... These ones will be going in my new cluster i'm working on.

I'm converting a set of Full FIS petrol clocks to fit my TDi, along with a nice 3D Color MFA install.

The clocks should also show boost once I get them wired up... so no need for a boost gauge :P

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#17 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

So I had some bits arrive today... my LED's..

180-355 mcd... so not too much brighter than stock (not 224 like I thought!)

IPcQh3F.jpg?1

Also prodded some more 3D Color MFD wiring with my iron..

kG3QjfN.jpg?1

Good fun... hopefully done soon!

• rainbird likes this

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#18 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Been prodding some more wires... MFA install is complete... just a firmware update.

vwZOb6v.jpg?1

LED's are happening. White is king  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#19 TomasLT

TomasLT

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:05 AM

Seems like everyone can do clocks these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Adam_Jonezy

Adam_Jonezy

"I'm not modding this one"

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • Preston, Lancs
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

I do like the red on black look, i have some nice wide steelies that would look good on this  :whistle:   :lol:

• jwrb likes this

46646425935_ef7f6d720f.jpg

#21 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

I do like the red on black look, i have some nice wide steelies that would look good on this  :whistle:   :lol:

I love the look of steels on it... no idea why... Tell me more  ;)  They better be 16"

• Adam_Jonezy likes this

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#22 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

It's a hard graft but worth it. Gives some really good results.

When you drive a lot you think how much time is spent looking / with clocks in your view... of course you want them to look good  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#23 Adam_Jonezy

Adam_Jonezy

"I'm not modding this one"

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • Preston, Lancs
  • Golf IV V5 2.3 20v 170PS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

I love the look of steels on it... no idea why... Tell me more  ;)  They better be 16"

They're the one's on my car at the minute mate  :Y:  there ExtremeOffsetWheels 5SP 17x8J Front and 17x9J rear ET20 all round 

46646425935_ef7f6d720f.jpg

#24 brianpologti

brianpologti

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Think I need to up my game , too haha how much is the colour LCD ?

#25 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:35 AM

Think I need to up my game , too haha how much is the colour LCD ?

Around £150-200, depending on which one you get. It will work on most 97->2005 VW's with CANBUS :)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#26 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

So, today the weather was good; and I actually woke up before 1am  :whistle:  Had to drive my mother to an appointment at the hospital.

Anyway; after my drive; I let the car cool for a bit and started work.

The agenda for today's work is below:

• Remove the shoot EGR valve and ASV
  • Clean the bae
  • Fit EGR Delete pipe from Darkside
  • Fit 15mm engine spacers from Creations Motorsport
  • Mr Muscle the turbo  :Y:
  • New expansion tank

Anyway, I got through the whole list, took some pictures whilst I was there... First order of business was removing the old EGR valve... I undid the two nuts on the pipe from the exhaust manifold, and the two bolts for the small pipe leading to the lower part of the valve, removed this out the way. I actually found it had a ghetto blanking plate installed, made from a small piece of ally. Sadly, as I continued and removed a boost pipe I found a lot of gunk inside. (pic below)

OdLICCI.jpg?2

YUCK! Anyway, the battle continued and the EGR was removed by taking out 3 allen head bolts. After this was done I plugged the vac lines with the bolts until I re-do the silicone vac lines and delete other valves later (Soon tm)

jWnAA8x.jpg?1

BLEH, Absolutely horrid... Yes: I cleaned out what I could access, but seeing as I'll be adding a FMIC soon I didn't strip down much... plus I only had a few hours!

Using some tubing, I snaked a pipe in through the EGR entrance on the exhaust manifold; and filled it with a good helping of Mr Muscle. Positioning the hose wasn't the easiest, it's quite hard to tell where it is! Felt like it went down into the turbo where it should be though  :lol-lol:

Anyway, whilst that was "cookin" I decided to install my engine spacers... The articles I got were a set of 15mm Spacers from Creations Motorsport. I'm hoping spacing the engine upwards, along with the sump will prevent me from busting it up over speed bumps. All about lows now. These things cost around £50 for a full set, but I got mine from eBay new in packaging for £25  B)

BSf7Ywa.jpg

Anyway, jacked up the engine from underneath, undid the stock engine mounts. Seeing as these come with new bolts I wasn't worried about having to replace hardware! Slid the mounts (and smaller rings) under associated mounts and side brackets, then bolder it back into place.

One thing to note; I didn't install the dog bone mount spacers (the big donut things in the above photo). Why? Well... These space the engine off the dog bone, which raises the engine! Unfortunately the main problem with this is that the dogbone is still as low as before... meaning if you hit something nasty you are at a much higher risk to catch that rather than the frame of the car... I've read online of a few horror stories of it happening, and since for a 15mm height change it isn't totally essential, I skipped it.

34DNDZ8.jpg?1

Not gonna run more lows because of this, but hopefully won't kill any sumps  :lol-lol:

Anyway, turbo cleaned and now sitting for an hour or so, I reassembled the new EGR delete pipe. Mounted up super easily, only major thing was cutting the metal spring bracket from the boost pipe... but that was only 5 minutes with a hacksaw  :whistle:

Blanking plate and pipe installed, I reconnected the boost pipe with the provided clip. Fitted my new expansion tank too whilst I was at it... CLEAN! The old one was positively janky. (I'll grab a piccie tomorrow...)

lxu0X91.jpg?1

Tomorrows work is getting my Caddy ready for it's MOT on Tuesday  :Y:  The handbrake has none / little reserve travel and one of the wing indicators has a dead bulb, I'm sure I have a few of those somewhere  :lol-lol:

Anyway, that's me for today!

• Adam_Jonezy likes this

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#27 Glendil

Glendil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1601 posts
  • Croydon

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Did u give it a good high rev blast

#28 Smudger_130/4MO

Smudger_130/4MO

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Herefordshire

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Still need to mr muscle my turbo. Looks like you have been a busy boy bud
😡Never argue with an idiot!...... They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience😡

#29 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Did u give it a good high rev blast

Only changing gear at 4k and above once it was warm  :whistle:

Still need to mr muscle my turbo. Looks like you have been a busy boy bud

Always haha :) Saturdays are car days!  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

#30 jwrb

jwrb

Dexter

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts
  • Kent

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

So today I've ordered a full camshaft kit :)

1 x Camshaft (billet steel)

1 x Camshaft Oil (assembly lube)

1 x Injector Bolt Set

1 x Cam Bolt Set

8 x Rocker Arm Bolt

8 x DLC Heavy Duty Lifter

1 x Cam Bearing Set

I'll be ordering a timing belt kit very soon. So these will be going on in the next week or so. 

Also, on another note, I've now arranged to purchase @Adam_Jonezy's previous wheels, seeing as he's selling his Golf.

So come Friday... expect some more pictures in the thread! Massive props to you man! Cant wait to get my new shoes  B)

sUmQTsM.jpg?1

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.