#1 Steve_

Steve_

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

I've just bought an 07 Mitsubishi Outlander with a PD130 engine (BSY) - the one with the EGR at the front. Sometimes when I turn it off there's a groaning / mooing noise from under the bonnet. Is this normal?

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Possibly down to electrically operated air flap on the anti-shudder valve (cuts off air supply to the engine to prevent any over-run when the ignition is turned off.

I've had my Mk5 1.9 tdi for well over seven years and the valve shutting can sometimes be quite obtrusive (as you describe) when switching off but never any bother with it.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
  • Steve_ likes this

#3 dopiaza

dopiaza

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2359 posts
  • West Yorkshire
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS DSG

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

Only time I've heard a noise like you describe is if you have air con and the fans aren't all working properly. You shut the engine off and pressure rises in the system which I guess vents via the 'emergency' valve. Mooing describes it perfectly. Builds up a few seconds after shut down then fades away after a few seconds.

#4 Booster

Booster

Diesel Geek

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Berkshire
  • Golf IV GTI 25th Anni 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Other source of groaning noise is the black box that is used on some of the engines instead of the N75 and N18 valves. These can leak and make a moaning noise when the engine stops. The bigger issue that these can cause in the long run is boost error codes due to vac leak in the system and the tandem pump being unable to keep up.

Just a stock diesel Anni................well almost  :new-chuckle:

Build Thread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.