#1 zaahirs

zaahirs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Bolton, Lancs
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

I bought a Polo last year April from a trade seller. Unfortunately, it had a radiator leak and a cracked manifold which was only apparent couple days later when checked by a garage. Also revealed some corrosion on exhaust.

I refused sale and asked for refund, dealer ignored. Filed a claim with card company for refund. While not in use i registered vehicle as off road and cancelled insurance. It has been standing for almost 1.5 years.

Finally got a refund and it appears the car stays with me.

Basically, it has a cracked manifold (with corroded nuts), radiator leak, exhaust corrosion and having started it up after standing for so long, the ABS and PAS fault lights are coming on. Battery is fried too.

I am not sure if i should get it repaired and either use it or trade it, or should i just get it scrapped?

#2 mk4gone

mk4gone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

So it's basically a free Polo. I'd keep it if you're happy enough to do the work on it yourself. 2nd hand parts from a scrappie shouldn't cost too much.

• zaahirs likes this

Fully forged 1.8T AUM | 3" Turbo back Milltek Exhaust with de-cat | Airtec FMIC | R-Tech air intake | R-Tech Remap | BBT K300 Hybrid Turbo | Quaife LSD | R32 Front & Rear Brakes  | TT wishbones | PCV delete with catch can | 18" BBS CH wheels | Anniversary clocks | Anni front splitter | V6 rear valance | G60 flywheel & uprated VR6 clutch | 2.0T Ignition Coils | Bora Vents

#3 zaahirs

zaahirs

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Bolton, Lancs
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

@mk4gone Yeah exactly, a free Polo :D. I like your suggestion but did not even consider it because i would not know where to start as i don't have the skills, but i'm willing to try/learn.

Just had a quick look on YouTube and replacing the exhaust manifold and cat seems like a big job, ideally i would need to be in a garage with a car lift or set the car up on jack stands/trestles. 

I will think about it but if you have any further advice i would appreciate it.

#4 mk4gone

mk4gone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Birmingham

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

Yeah fair point, although a free car that you've been considering scrapping is the perfect car to learn on. If you pull it apart and make a mess of it, it really doesn't matter! 

Even stripping it for parts is a good way to learn how to dismantle a car

Fully forged 1.8T AUM | 3" Turbo back Milltek Exhaust with de-cat | Airtec FMIC | R-Tech air intake | R-Tech Remap | BBT K300 Hybrid Turbo | Quaife LSD | R32 Front & Rear Brakes  | TT wishbones | PCV delete with catch can | 18" BBS CH wheels | Anniversary clocks | Anni front splitter | V6 rear valance | G60 flywheel & uprated VR6 clutch | 2.0T Ignition Coils | Bora Vents

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11078 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

I'm surprised you got a refund tbh. 

A leaking exhaust (which you would have heard) and a radiator leak (which is unusual and certainly not a reason for not wanting to keep the car).  An exhaust that shows signs of corrosion?  You know that it's a steel pipe subject to constant heat cycling and the byproduct of burning carbon fuel means it's exposed to water?

Why didn't you ask the garage to repair?  

The lights will be on because of low voltage.  Get a new battery, swap the manifold gasket and nuts (about half an hour).  Radiator means front end off/AC regas.  About 2 hours.

You decide what you want to do; we have no idea how capable you are.  I'll give you £100 for it.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.