No replies to this topic

#1 12boycee

12boycee

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

So just sold the missus’s CR-V as she missed her Golf and we realised we weren’t really using the CR-V to its full potential. She had a Mk5 Golf in the past (2.0 GT TDi) and loved it. This time she wants a petrol. She would love an A3 S-Line (2007-2010ish) but looked at quite a few now and none have been kept very well, that are in our budget. She doesn’t really like the non s-line spec, which is fair enough.

So been looking into the Mk5’s and Mk6’s with the 1.4 twincharged engine. But upon researching there seems to be quite a few horror stories: Timming chains, pistons etc.... but all these reports seem to be a good few years back now.

Get to the point!
Now they’ve been around a good while are they more reliable? Should I risk buying one? Is there a particular year I should avoid? Is there a particular bhp I should avoid (mk5 140, 170 or mk6 160)?

I would really appreciate any input whatsoever.

Cheers

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.